Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2015 3:33:31 AM EDT
Years ago I worked in Asheville. I liked it a lot but I moved on for a better job. Now I'm finally moving back to the Asheville area. I'm looking to buy a house but I'd like to live outside of Asheville someplace not too far from I-40. So where's a good area to go that I can shoot guns in my yard and not worry too much about dirt bags hearing guns and wanting to come break in? I'd like to stay within an hour drive from Asheville.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I understand, I've only visited the area but something about the street musicians and the cool shops calls to me...

Shame you gotta be Warren Buffet rich to stay there... lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:08:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I understand, I've only visited the area but something about the street musicians and the cool shops calls to me...

View Quote

Out side of Asheville isn't too expensive. I don't want to live in the city. I was actually looking at a town called Marion. My biggest concern is living near shit heads that'll hear gun fire and think that's the house to rob.
Other areas I'm looking at are Candler, Canton, and Waynesville.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Out side of Asheville isn't too expensive. I don't want to live in the city. I was actually looking at a town called Marion. My biggest concern is living near shit heads that'll hear gun fire and think that's the house to rob.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Swannanoa just east of Asheville it considered a very poor part of town, meaning property is less desirable by the yuppies and therefor cheaper. Canton has a paper mill and stinks like hell. Candler is getting more expensive due to several high end neighborhoods. but still some cheaper areas.  Buncombe county in general is higher in taxes than surrounding counties.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Madison county is what matches your needs or Barnardsville area in Buncombe.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Madison county is what matches your needs or Barnardsville area in Buncombe.
View Quote

he said close to 40, and, well, future 26 to 40 isn't exactly easy most days, lol. you know what I'm talking about
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I checked those areas out. Barnardsville could work depending on whats available to buy but I think 90% of Madison County is too far north. How is Liecester?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:21:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah I checked those areas out. Barnardsville could work depending on whats available to buy but I think 90% of Madison County is too far north. How is Liecester?
View Quote

Leicester is booming and traffic is insane. 99% of the traffic filters onto NC63 and then Patton Ave. if you are going towards town and it's stop light city.  Barnardsville is a great area and the during the weekends you can hear gunfire echo down the valleys.  The problem is, it takes 10+ minutes just to hit the interstate (Exit 15). Now you have another 12+ minutes drive to get to downtown, in good traffic of course.  Oddly enough, you could actually be in Mars Hill faster.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out Old Fort. I have a buddy that used to live in that area and love it. The only reason he left was a job promotion.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Mom lives out in Fletcher.  Used to comment to downtown Asheville for years before she retired a year or so ago.  

very rural, very country.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mom lives out in Fletcher.  Used to comment to downtown Asheville for years before she retired a year or so ago.  

very rural, very country.
View Quote

eh, it's sorta rural and vaguely country.  My family owns a large dairy farm in Fletcher. every time I go shooting some transplant yuppie prick calls the cops, EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Cost of property has increased greatly here since the South Asheville area is the fastest growing part of town.  most of the "mini farms" in Fletcher have 6000+ sq/ft houses, and many of them are vacation homes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in Waynesville
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I live in Waynesville
View Quote

Thats one of the areas I've seen the best value for property size and the home on it.

Also I can't lie, I was born in New York. But if your shooting in my neighborhood (were ever I move) the worst I'd do is show up with some more guns... and maybe a bottle of Jack for afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thats one of the areas I've seen the best value for property size and the home on it.

Also I can't lie, I was born in New York. But if your shooting in my neighborhood (were ever I move) the worst I'd do is show up with some more guns... and maybe a bottle of Jack for afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in Waynesville

Sounds like you would fit in well
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#14]
You could go a little bit further south and look at Polk county, Pretty close to Hendersonville, Greenville, and Asheville. Deer hunting better there too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I live in Transylvania county, and I have
seen houses robbed more than once
where the owners would shoot at their
house. Because of this I would never
shoot at ours.

I have friends that live in Leicester and Mills
River areas. I would recommend looking in
either of those area's. Nice rural area of old
farming country where the locals still act like
it. (Of course I like Transylvania, too.)

Good Luck.

John

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
shoot at ours.

Good Luck.

John

View All Quotes
Quoted:
shoot at ours.

Good Luck.

John

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah the idea of that does spook me a little. I would like to live someplace where I can shoot and have cool neighbors that will look after things when I'm not there. I've been looking at the areas I'm interested in on google earth to figure out what type of neighbors I'd have. You can't always tell if they're hippies that would bitch about gun fire or cool neighbors, but you can tell if it looks like a meth house at least. When I do find a house I want to buy I'l be knocking on doors to meet people before I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top