Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 8:58:45 PM EDT
I'm selling a handgun. The guy I'm selling it to has a ccw permit what do I need to do to sell it to him? Other than bill of sale
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm selling a handgun. The guy I'm selling it to has a ccw permit what do I need to do to sell it to him? Other than bill of sale
View Quote

First, you need to see his ID card to ensure that it matches his CCW.  Second, you might want to get cash.  You do NOT need a bill of sale nor do you need to take pictures, photocopy, or do anything to remember who he/she was or keep any record of it.  I would suggest you don't keep a record.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The only requirement by statute is that the person receiving the handgun possess a valid NC carry permit or a purchase permit issued by the sheriff.

You should do what ever YOU feel necessary to be comfortable with the sale. The law doesn't require you to do any paperwork what so ever but many people do additional paperwork  including getting as you said a bill of sale and even copies of the CHP.  If YOU want more than the law requires that's your decision so don't let folks talk you into something less.

You can always walk away from a sale or change what you require for your personal preference.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only requirement by statute is that the person receiving the handgun possess a valid NC carry permit or a purchase permit issued by the sheriff.

You should do what ever YOU feel necessary to be comfortable with the sale. The law doesn't require you to do any paperwork what so ever but many people do additional paperwork  including getting as you said a bill of sale and even copies of the CHP.  If YOU want more than the law requires that's your decision so don't let folks talk you into something less.

You can always walk away from a sale or change what you require for your personal preference.
View Quote

Make sure that you both have a clear and mutual understanding of what is needed and what you intend to do.  I, for one, would never let anybody take copies of my CCW or my ID card.  Nor can they take pictures.  They can look at it, but I don't want my identity stolen. I tell people up front that I will need to look at a picture ID card, because my CCW is a form printed by the Sheriff and laminated.  I'm not wizard with Microsoft Publisher, but neither is the Sheriff's office.  Sooooo, yeah.  I wouldn't trust anybody who wouldn't show me their picture ID.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Make sure that you both have a clear and mutual understanding of what is needed and what you intend to do.  I, for one, would never let anybody take copies of my CCW or my ID card.  Nor can they take pictures.  They can look at it, but I don't want my identity stolen. I tell people up front that I will need to look at a picture ID card, because my CCW is a form printed by the Sheriff and laminated.  I'm not wizard with Microsoft Publisher, but neither is the Sheriff's office.  Sooooo, yeah.  I wouldn't trust anybody who wouldn't show me their picture ID.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can be sure that if someone shows you a NC CCW that it is fake since there is no such thing in NC since NC only issues CHPs
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can be sure that if someone shows you a NC CCW that it is fake since there is no such thing in NC since NC only issues CHPs
View Quote

CCW is a generic term and you know it.  I might just as often call it a CCP.  Without a smiley face, I just assume you're being a dick.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

CCW is a generic term and you know it.  I might just as often call it a CCP.  Without a smiley face, I just assume you're being a dick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If posting the correct info  in a topic is being a dick so be it  

CCW is a generic term and we all know what the OP is referring to.  Both of you knock off the holier than thou BS or you can take a break from the NC HTF for a while.  - DV8
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#7]
See the permit, see their ID, take their money, hand them the firearm, and call it a day.

B.O.S., photos, copies, whatever are your prerogative. A good number of people won't agree to them, myself included, your gun, your sale, just make clear before you meet if you have any additional requirements.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top