Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2014 8:07:35 AM EDT
This article claims that NC requires a signed doctor's statement attesting that an applicant for a NC concealed carry license is both physically and mentally healthy.

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/kestner-your-doctor-will-soon-ask-you-about-guns-cms-41109

"In some states such as neighboring North Carolina, persons seeking a concealed carry permit must obtain certification from a physician that they are sufficiently healthy mentally and physically to safely keep, carry and operate a handgun."

Is this true? Having trouble believing this. Colorado, yes, but NC?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I recollect during the application process it was required.

Max
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#2]
They do send your info off for a mental background check. Nothing actually done on you, they just check to make sure you're not in the system. You get a bill directly from the hospital system for $15-$25, can't remember. I paid mine out of my HSA.

Honestly don't remember the physical healthy requirement, but maybe the check mentioned above looks at all hospital records for major surgeries? I know my wife finally got hers last year and I don't recall anything special she had to do.

Nothing signed by a doctor after any kind of visit. Now, my DOT card for my CDL is a different story.

Found this on our Sheriff's Dept website:

Effective 04/21/14, all persons applying for a Concealed Carry Permit will be charged $20.00 for their medical records/history to be sent to the Sheriff’s Office. You will receive an invoice directly from Presbyterian Hospital for this service. Presbyterian is allowed to charge this fee under N.C. General Statute 90-411. Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office will not be responsible for payment nor will they be responsible for any delay in receiving information from Presbyterian Hospital. If you have any questions regarding your invoice, please contact Presbyterian Medical Records Department at 704-384-4150.

Looks like the check they do does include all medical history. But, it's not you having to go for a physical and getting a signature, although it's still BS.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They do send your info off for a mental background check. Nothing actually done on you, they just check to make sure you're not in the system. You get a bill directly from the hospital system for $15-$25, can't remember. I paid mine out of my HSA.

Honestly don't remember the physical healthy requirement, but maybe the check mentioned above looks at all hospital records for major surgeries? I know my wife finally got hers last year and I don't recall anything special she had to do.

Nothing signed by a doctor after any kind of visit. Now, my DOT card for my CDL is a different story.

Found this on our Sheriff's Dept website:

Effective 04/21/14, all persons applying for a Concealed Carry Permit will be charged $20.00 for their medical records/history to be sent to the Sheriff’s Office. You will receive an invoice directly from Presbyterian Hospital for this service. Presbyterian is allowed to charge this fee under N.C. General Statute 90-411. Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office will not be responsible for payment nor will they be responsible for any delay in receiving information from Presbyterian Hospital. If you have any questions regarding your invoice, please contact Presbyterian Medical Records Department at 704-384-4150.

Looks like the check they do does include all medical history. But, it's not you having to go for a physical and getting a signature, although it's still BS.
View Quote
I never got a bill, renewed in August this year

I did submit my doctor's contact info though for the requirement. My permit got re-approved, so must have done something right.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
It may just be at the initial issuance. Between me getting mine, and then getting it renewed, and my wife getting hers since my renewal, I'm really not sure what happened when. . Who knows?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Be advised I got a two year delay in getting my permit as I came up in the Mental Health check.  Seems the marriage consuler we went to was registered under mental health.    This was in Brunswick county and they gave me my permit this time last year.

CD
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I just dropped off my renewal for Wake County this morning. The packet includes a NC Courts form AOC-SP-914M titled "RELEASE OF PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH, SUBSTANCE ABUSE AND CONFIDENTIAL COURT RECORDS FOR CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT". It was pre-filled to request records from Alliance Behavioral Healthcare in Durham, Central Regional Hospital in Butner, and Wake County Human Services. Since this is a state form, it probably is the same for all counties.

Note that the fine print above the signature block states that "Any expenses relating to the search, production, copying and
certification of a medical or court record pursuant to this Release
shall be my responsibility."

I don't recall if this form or something similar was in my original application or previous renewals, but I'm pretty sure I didn't pay anything other than the standard permit fee to the Sheriff's office.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I had told sign a bunch of release forms for the Sheriffs dept to run checks and release any information to them regarding mental health or drug/alcohol rehab, but never got a bill or had too have anything provided by a doc.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]
unless they changed it and i didnt hear, all they are required to do is check you where not institutionalized by the state.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
unless they changed it and i didnt hear, all they are required to do is check you where not institutionalized by the state.
View Quote

It's a bit more detailed than that.  They check for more than just past cases of being institutionalized. They also check with the local entities who track mental health for the area.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This article claims that NC requires a signed doctor's statement attesting that an applicant for a NC concealed carry license is both physically and mentally healthy.

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/kestner-your-doctor-will-soon-ask-you-about-guns-cms-41109

"In some states such as neighboring North Carolina, persons seeking a concealed carry permit must obtain certification from a physician that they are sufficiently healthy mentally and physically to safely keep, carry and operate a handgun."

Is this true? Having trouble believing this. Colorado, yes, but NC?
View Quote

not that I heard of. I think the sheriff does a mental health check but I've never had go go to a doctor and ask the fill out a form or anything like that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I never had to give any doctor info or paperwork from my doctor to get my CHP. I did have to sign a release which the sheriff ask me to deliver to the New river Mental Health office to see if I had any mental problems but that was it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#12]
all they are required to do is check you where not institutionalized by the state......
View Quote

So it's different if the treatment is voluntary, as it relates to processing the permit?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:57:16 AM EDT
[#13]
the thing about NC is the sheriff is the wizard of oz. they can and do bend the law to their liking. its a shall issue state and the intent of the law is if a judge found you unfit. if the sheriff takes it beyond that i cannot speak on a county by county basis. treatment by private doctor should not be considered.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#14]
For .mil in Onslow County you have to have a full medical screening to include psych (they just ask the obvious questions) and must be routed through the Command and be stamped by PMO.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#15]
MY renewal is being held up by the VA. I was told by the sheriff's office, if you're a vet they have to check the VA. I ETSed in 1979 and have never used the VA for anything. Mike

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
MY renewal is being held up by the VA. I was told by the sheriff's office, if you're a vet they have to check the VA. I ETSed in 1979 and have never used the VA for anything. Mike  
View Quote

Back when my previous state was going through the CCP process to develop the law, the Anti-Gun folks had a playbook.  One of their 'plays' was to insert mental health and VA language into the bills.  They sound good on paper, but they are de-facto discrimination against veterans.  Those same anti-gun players were at work trying to discredit ALL veterans from the Vietnam era who had claimed ANYTHING mental as being unfit to own a gun.  The VA is notoriously slow at everything.  Even if they were to approve anything, it might be a year or two.

I had to send my troops (and I, in turn was sent) to a psychologist following our deployment.  They had a 12-page questionnaire with dozens of questions, any one of which would disqualify me forever from gun ownership if I answered incorrectly.  I simply wrote across the entire questionnaire, "I refuse to answer".  The psychologist brought me in and looked at the questionnaire for about 10 seconds.  He looked up at me and started asking the same kind of things.  I said, "I refuse to answer" to the first five or 10 and he said, "Okay, well I guess we're done here?"  I also said that I refused to answer that one.

I was out of that place in 5 minutes and I still have my gun rights.  Understand, this was MANDATORY!  We had to go.  We had to talk with a psychologist.  I'm sure records like that would have to be reviewed in the 'approval' process.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#17]
There is an info request sent to
the local mental health agency
for each applicant in NC.

John

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For .mil in Onslow County you have to have a full medical screening to include psych (they just ask the obvious questions) and must be routed through the Command and be stamped by PMO.
View Quote

Word is Sheriff Miller recently announced that rules for military would no longer be different
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top