Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2014 11:24:59 PM EDT
Hey there, I'm in the military and stationed here in NC. Been here for 3 years now and wanting to buy an AR-15, however I was wondering if you need to be a North Carolina resident to purchase one or not. Because since I was recruited in NYS, I guess I'm still a NYS resident and not a NC resident. Just curious if that matters or not, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Shouldn't be a problem. Your command or post may or may not have special requirements. If you lice off post you should have a NC drivers license. You should just need an ID, and copy of your PCS orders.  I'm sure an FFL dealer will be along shortly with more insight.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll need to know if your home of residence is still NY or if you claim NC now as your home of residence. Mil has the ability to have more than one. If it's still NY you may want to make sure that NY doesn't have any restrictions. Some state only allow for residents to obtain long guns from contiguous states. The FFL should be able to answer theses questions for you.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Hey there, I'm in the military and stationed here in NC. Been here for 3 years now and wanting to buy an AR-15, however I was wondering if you need to be a North Carolina resident to purchase one or not. Because since I was recruited in NYS, I guess I'm still a NYS resident and not a NC resident. Just curious if that matters or not, thanks!
View Quote

Why are you remaining a NYS resident?

You can change your residence easily (your home of record remains where you entered the military).

Your residence can be any state where you intend to reside after leaving the military.  For example, I was a Florida resident on active duty (no state income tax), then decided to stay in NC.

While on active duty, you have the options authorized under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act.

As I was permanently stationed in NC (and lived off post), I had an NC DL with local address and NC plates, but voted in Florida.

While you (as active duty) have "dual residency" as per the GCA '68 for firearms purchases (treated as a NC resident in NC and NYS resident in NYS); when you are in NYS you are subject to NYS laws (i.e., if you buy an AR here, the unSAFE act applies if you take it home).

A non-military NYS resident can't buy an AR in NC (sale isn't legal in both states).
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are at FT Bragg and live off post all you need is your orders assigning you to FT Bragg

If you are married and living in Gov quarters same as above, except you have to register them on post at the AA american ECP building.

If you are single and live in the barracks same as above and it has to be stored in the Units Arms room after you notify your COC.

IM me for any FT Bragg questions, been her 17 yrs and If I don't have the answer I know where to find it.

NYC rules don't apply because you are in a free state now.

Just understand if you want take it back home all NY laws apply.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll need to know if your home of residence is still NY or if you claim NC now as your home of residence. Mil has the ability to have more than one. If it's still NY you may want to make sure that NY doesn't have any restrictions. Some state only allow for residents to obtain long guns from contiguous states. The FFL should be able to answer theses questions for you.
View Quote

This is simply not the case.  As QT said, if you are active duty with a PCS assignment here, this IS your state of residence.  "LEGAL" state of residence for tax purposes does not apply.  "Home of Record" does not apply.  The only thing that matters is that you have NC on your PCS orders.  Take a copy of your orders, your Mil ID, and any State DL or State ID.  You're cash and carry at that point, so long as it's a long gun.  AR-15 pistols still require a Pistol Purchase Permit or NC Concealed Carry Permit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
He is correct. All you need is your orders placing you here, your Mil Id and your drivers license. Jims on Yadkin usually has good deals. I also like Guns plus, Shooters supply and Jerys Pawn.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Orders to Ft Bragg will suffice. Check out Phase 5 supply (reilly rd) Carolina firearms (Bragg blvd) and Jerry's/shooters (Bragg blvd near the korean titty bars). All these places have less guns than Jim's, but since you only need one, who cares? Andthe prices and customer service will be better. Stay away from Gander and gun's plus too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top