Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2014 1:12:13 PM EDT
Hi guys. Another DMV question.
I'm in Wilmington. I need to register my car in NC (currently it is registered in NY).

I have my NC driver's license.

Couple questions.

Other than the paperwork they request and the new title application, is there anything else I need?
Do I need to have the car inspected in NC before I go to get it registered or can it be done afterwards?

The title form says it needs to be notarized. Does this need to be done somewhere else before you go in or can they notarize it at the DMV?

It also has a place for my insurance company to sign. If I bring proof of insurance do I have to do this? I have geico and there isn't an office within 120 miles of me.

Thanks guys. Just want to make sure I don't have to go there more than once and they won't pick up the phone.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You will need to have the vehicle inspected before you go to the DMV, usually around $30ish.  For notarey I've seen some except the title without it but others want it.

CD
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will need to have the vehicle inspected before you go to the DMV, usually around $30ish.  For notarey I've seen some except the title without it but others want it.

CD
View Quote

Are you sure that's true if moving from another state?

The nc dmvs site says "If you’re moving to North Carolina from another state, you will be allowed to register your vehicle without an initial inspection. When your next annual registration renewal is due, you must have the vehicle inspected up to 90 days prior to the plate expiration date."

I was just curious if that was true.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Not positive for out of state, just for renewal, sorry.

CD
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#4]
First time registering in NC is no inspection.
I didn't have an insurance agent sign anything, just brought the insurance card I'm pretty sure with NC addy, title paperwork should only need notarization if the vehicle is changing hands, if you bring in your out of state title, clear and in your name, they just make you an NC one. No idea on lien holders or co-owners.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Just for clarification in case anyone else is going,
The whole process takes about 30 seconds. You do not need a NC inspection, you do not need your insurance to sign off on anything.
All you need is your NC driver's license, insurance card, and title of the car.

The only thing that caught me off guard was that it costs $350 for a new registration! The website lays out the costs and it adds up to only about $110...so that was a shock.

Also, they took my title. If you still owe money on a car your financial company holds the lean until you pay it off then they send you the NC title.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:47:25 AM EDT
[#6]
First time I registered a vehicle from out of state, I had to get it inspected within 15 days of tag issuance IIRC. They issued me a tag, sent my title in the mail, but I had to get it inspected. This was in 2005.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just for clarification in case anyone else is going,
The whole process takes about 30 seconds.
View Quote

Wilmington DMV always seems to have a looooooong wait in line.

You caught it lucky.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I did the same exact thing in March. NY - NC.

Bring your NC DL, SS Card,  NC insurance card, NY registration, NY title and NC registration application. They will notarize for you. If you have a lien holder, they will hold onto the title until paid off.

Oh, and bring a ton of cash. I paid over $400 in reg fees for my 2010 Dodge Ram.  No vehicle inspection for 1 year.

-
Bob

Quoted:
Hi guys. Another DMV question.
I'm in Wilmington. I need to register my car in NC (currently it is registered in NY).

I have my NC driver's license.

Couple questions.

Other than the paperwork they request and the new title application, is there anything else I need?
Do I need to have the car inspected in NC before I go to get it registered or can it be done afterwards?

The title form says it needs to be notarized. Does this need to be done somewhere else before you go in or can they notarize it at the DMV?

It also has a place for my insurance company to sign. If I bring proof of insurance do I have to do this? I have geico and there isn't an office within 120 miles of me.

Thanks guys. Just want to make sure I don't have to go there more than once and they won't pick up the phone.

View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top