Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 2:13:23 PM EDT
Hi everyone. My fiance and I will be moving to Winston Salem soon. We are going to be looking for apartments and houses for rent this weekend, but we don't want to end up in the ghetto. Where would you recommend that is quiet, safe, and nice?

We are looking to keep it under $750-$800.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay away from east winston and alot of the university area as well. west winston is ok, most of Clemmons is good as well as Lewisville but there are a lot of higher end homes in both. If you like rural living West Bend or Yadkin county. Depending on where you are working/going to school most of Winston is a 20 minute highway drive from Yadkin county.

Jason
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I just moved out of Parkland, it wasn't all that bad, just noisey as hell. But the old two bedroom was only $550 a month. WSPD has an interesting app on their website you can punch in any address and see how many calls they responded to within a given number of parameters, they went to a lot by the old place. My biggest gripe was the traffic volume and speed through the neighborhood.
Ardmore is overpriced and an island in a sea of crap, so not as nice as many claim, we lived there briefly.
Walnut Cove, Rural Hall, King and Clemmons are all semi to rural and fairly quiet but within a reasonable distance of town.
I'd keep away from Reynolds Park Rd/Waughtown area. Really most of the ghettoish areas are pretty evident.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The previous posters covered it pretty well. Do you have jobs lined up? If so, what area will you be working?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The previous posters covered it pretty well. Do you have jobs lined up? If so, what area will you be working?
View Quote
I'm applying for work abroad. I'll be looking for something when I finish with that.

My fiance will be working at the hospital.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Look in Kernersville also.  Right between Greensboro and Winston.  Or if you want more rural look also in Oak Ridge.   But stay away from anything that would require you to drive on HWY 68 from the airport area towards Stokesdale.  That road is an absolute nightmare from 5pm on during the week.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:06:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I conducted a due dilligence inspection of Sedgefield apartments in Winston-Salem this past Wednesday.  Seemed like a nice place.  Office staff and the maintenance staff were squared away professionals.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Stay away from east winston and alot of the university area as well. west winston is ok, most of Clemmons is good as well as Lewisville but there are a lot of higher end homes in both. If you like rural living West Bend or Yadkin county. Depending on where you are working/going to school most of Winston is a 20 minute highway drive from Yadkin county.

Jason  
View Quote

THIS.   My brother and his wife have commuted to Winston from Yadkinville for over 20 years now.  Otherwise you might look north of Winston along the US-52/I-74  corridor.  I always liked the area from Rural Hall out to Pilot Mountain when I traveled in that region and there was suburb development starting there during the last few years I was going through there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to live in the Apartment complex off of Jonestown. If you go north on Jonestown until the road ends at a stop light. You can go left/right or straight which took you right into the apartment complex. It was pretty darn nice. Pretty reasonable prices and pretty spacious for apartment living.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm applying for work abroad. I'll be looking for something when I finish with that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Baptist or Forsyth? My wife works at Forsyth.

Only bad thing about living north of town in Rural Hall or King is the commute into Winston on Highway 52. It can be a b.

Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top