Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2014 12:54:41 PM EDT
Had a question regarding the CCW permit out there. I'm currently stationed in Quantico, VA. Should I just wait on applying for a permit once I get to NC or should I get one now in VA? Correct me if I'm wrong but having a CCW will make life a lot easier when it comes to purchasing handguns? Looking forward to shoot with those around the area in the near future!

For those who live around the area, living suggestions (preferably not in Jacksonville)?

Thanks again!
Dan
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd wait and get the NC permit if ease of buy-in is your goal.

I live near Richlands, much better than living in Jacksonville.  If you don't mind driving 20-30 minutes, Richlands, swansboro, sneads ferry, holly ridge and beullaville are all nice.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I would avoid Jacksonville like the plague.

I lived in J-ville, near Richlands, and now between Sneads Ferry and Holly Ridge.  

I like the south end of Onslow county the best.  YMMV.  

Sneads Ferry gate has much less traffic than the main gate or the Piney Green gate.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong but having a CCW will make life a lot easier when it comes to purchasing handguns? Looking forward to shoot with those around the area in the near future!

Thanks again!
Dan
View Quote

A North Carolina CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) does eliminate the need for PPP (Pistol Purchase Permit...$5/apiece) from local sheriff's department.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sneads Ferry gate has much less traffic than the main gate or the Piney Green gate.  

View Quote

Shhhhhhh. Keep that stuff on the down low
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would avoid Jacksonville like the plague.

I lived in J-ville, near Richlands, and now between Sneads Ferry and Holly Ridge.  

I like the south end of Onslow county the best.  YMMV.  

Sneads Ferry gate has much less traffic than the main gate or the Piney Green gate.  is horrible, you should move to Swansboro or Maysville.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks! Where do you all shoot? I guess theres a club near by?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a whole lot of places to publicly shoot.  Here are some links to clubs that host matches and are membership only for day to day shooting.

Ant Hill Range - Southport, NC  Hour to hour and a half south of J'ville, but they do have Steel Challenge, USPSA, and IDPA matches (with a 3-gun every month with 5 Sundays) on Sundays.  Membership only club, but non-members can get in to shoot matches.

Buccaneer Gun Club - Leland, NC  West of Wilmington, 400 yard rifle range, pistol range.  Hosts matches but, like Ant Hill, a membership only club (with limited number of slots that can be filled-they have a waiting list).  

Coastal Carolina Rifle Club - Stone Bay Rifle Range, Camp Lejeune  NRA Highpower Long range and Mid-Range matches only.  

North State Shooting Club - Butner, NC  NRA Across the Course, Mid-Range, and Long Range.  Butner also hosts the Sinclair Fullbore Championships and the Eastern Creedmoor Cup/Games.

As far as public shooting there's Flatwoods Outfitters - Hubert, NC near Lejeune.  Not quite my cup of tea, and can get rather crowded on the weekends, but other than private land, that 's about all you've got.  I think there's a range toward Havelock (Cherry Point), but I've not been there.  Indoor pistol range in J'ville (Sportsman's Lodge) and Wilmington (Shooter's Choice).   Lejeune itself has a skeet range on Mainside between Holcombe Blvd and Piney Green Rd (Sawmill Rd.)

Disclaimer: I'm more geared toward NRA HP with some pistol matches on the side.  Some other folks on here probably know a few other ranges that I don't know about.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:34:35 AM EDT
[#8]
That'sall of them I've heard about. Ranges are definitely sparse around here
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw on lejeuneyardsales the other day a gun range opening in Richlands or Beulaville. It had a link to facebook for the range but it wouldnt work on my phone. Definately would be nice if the range was decent and didnt have crazy restrictions.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Why not j'ville
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Is the school system good in Jacksonville
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Topsail high school in pender county is one of the better schools in the state. Just across the Onslow/Pender county line. Plenty of Marines and squids live down that way.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like we settled in Holly Ridge, can someone give me a quick run down on the gun laws in NC with regards to the permit to purchase pistols? Is this only for pistols or rifles as well? I know I need a letter from my CO to obtain a CCW permit in NC correct? Thanks in advance.

Dan
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks like we settled in Holly Ridge, can someone give me a quick run down on the gun laws in NC with regards to the permit to purchase pistols? Is this only for pistols or rifles as well?  Pistol purchase is only for handguns I know I need a letter from my CO to obtain a CCW permit in NC correct? I don't know anything about that. Thanks in advance.

Dan
View Quote

It speeds up the purchase process if you have a ccw(even for long guns).  If you have a ccw all you have to do is give them your ccw and DL for a copy and fill out the 4473 then pay and your out the door.  They don't have to call anything in as long as you have a ccw.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Two links to get you started.  

http://sheriff.onslowcountync.gov/handgun.htm

From the Sheriff's permit application:

MILITARY PERSONNEL: Military personnel stationed in North Carolina and residing in Onslow County at the time of the application will be afforded the
opportunity to apply for a Handgun Purchase Permit. Applicants MUST comply with the following:
[div style='margin-left: 40px;']1. Provide an approved letter of recommendation (COMMAND LETTER) a sample is provided in Base Order 5500.1H, signed by the
applicants Commanding Officer.
2. Obtain a Military Criminal Record Check from the Provost Marshall’s Office. The Provost Marshall will stamp the applicant’s Command
Letter with a stamp which will indicate that the applicant either does or does not have a military criminal history. If a history is indicated,
the history will be attached to the Command Letter in a SEALED envelope. The Provost Marshall Stamp is required on ALL Command
Letters.

North Carolina Firearms Laws

ETA: Seconded on the CCW.  You would not have to go through your chain of command each time you wanted to purchase either.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:01:32 AM EDT
[#17]
From a retired Army guy, another example of the military treating us as second class citizens with more restrictions.

CD
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Fellas!
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#19]
New Bern is a great place
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
From a retired Army guy, another example of the military treating us as second class citizens with more restrictions.

CD
View Quote

It isn't the military tacking those restrictions on, it is the Onslow county sheriff.  There is no NC requirement to get a letter from your commander or the provost marshal background check in order to get either a CCW or pistol permit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#21]
We'll see how things change (if they do) in Onslow Co.  Ed Brown lost the primary for sheriff,  so change may be a comin.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 2:25:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top