Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2013 6:59:51 PM EDT
1: Anyone know a good taxidermist because if I shoot this, I am SOOOOOO going to have it in my living room.

2. Just where does one of these come from? Yes, I know South America, but how did it get here? I never saw that sale at Pets-mart.

3. What round for panther? I'm thinking 12 gauge slugs.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/local-news/piedmont/black-panther-sightings-reported-in-stokes-county/-/10703612/22524520/-/3xk1tz/-/index.html
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't help on the taxidermist. I have a card somewhere but I'd have to find it.

My bet is either someone has a exotic animal license/permit (not sure NC does those) or bought it on the black market and failed to contain it, and they're heated right now cause either way they're out a bunch of money. That or a bunch of people think they saw something, wouldn't be the first time, it's deer season where's the game cam photos?

I'd go with a varmit bullet, better pelt with small entry and no exit.

If there was anything other than private property around I'd take a ride up with my calls and decoy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:22:17 AM EDT
[#2]
uh you do realize there have been hundreds of sightings of Panthers in WNC over the years right?

They even have coves, creeks, and hollers named after them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
interesting!

dang panthers are mighty sly. ask me how I know.

was laying flat on my back at midnight in my bank barn under my 1951 Ferguson TO 30 tractor fixing the bearings.

heard a loud snarl and hiss at the open bay door--yep--huge feline.crept up on me like a fog in the valley.

...and all I had in my hand was an open-ended 11/16 wrench!!!

gotta keep eyes behind your back when stalking these critters. NV or thermal sights all the better.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
uh you do realize there have been hundreds of sightings of Panthers in WNC over the years right?

View Quote

Yep,

There's a reason our football team is called the Carolina Panthers.

Not sure if hunting them is legal. Better check first before you go out prowling for them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Saw a couple several times earlier this year in the holler below my house, and I'm in Gaston County.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I knew they used to be here, but I was under the impression they had long since been been pushed out. Guess not.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep,

Not sure if hunting them is legal. Better check first before you go out prowling for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,

Funny how so many people don't know this.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I knew they used to be here, but I was under the impression they had long since been been pushed out. Guess not.
View Quote

Nope they are still around. Have seen a few myself. Buddy has trail cam pics of some in York and Chester county SC. I know some of the Game Wardens around here and they said that several of the ones around here are tagged with GPS trackers so they know if one dies or is shot and they are very serious about their safety. Panthers have large territories and roam quite a bit. And yes they are illegal to shoot and the fines (thousands of dollars) are not worth it. Not to mention they will confiscate your guns. If you want a panther or lion that bad go out west and hunt them legally. Much cheaper that way.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]
We had several sightings at the hunt clubs in Richmond County.
A big black sucker with a very long tail as I remember.  d:^)  Schneeks..
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
From what I understand  from watching Animal Planet :-)  Black Panthers are actually Jaguars. Supposedly they last American Jaguar was killed in the early 1900s. Also, supposedly, mountain lions because of their genetics are never black, Jaguars often are . My grandmother was part Cherokee and was from MadisonCounty. Growing up she told me many stories about the big black cats she and her family saw in the mountains and she said everyone called them Panthers. I live between Hickory and Morganton North Carolina not too far from South Mountain State Park. A close neighbor of mine has trail cam pics of a mountain lion that has been through here recently. I think that it's awesome but I'm definitely careful when I'm out walking at night on my property.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
one of my customers a couple weeks ago is a fishing guide in the Pisgah area and he showed me a pic his friend captured on a game cam just a week or so earlier.  There are tons of big cats in NC, often spotted and even more often heard.  Not only do we have the Panthers as the football team, but lets not forget the WCU Catamounts.  These names have origins
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#12]
One of the neighbors beside my Grandfather's old farm in Wilson County has seen a panther in
that area before.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if there were a few left in rural areas of North
Carolina.  One of the communities near where I live in Wake County is called Panther Branch
which is the name of the creek that runs nearby.  It has had that name since the late 1700s.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,

So, I can myself "spartanatheart", yet to me, a push-up is the orange ice cream stick I get at a gas station now & then.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
interesting!

dang panthers are mighty sly. ask me how I know.

was laying flat on my back at midnight in my bank barn under my 1951 Ferguson TO 30 tractor fixing the bearings.

heard a loud snarl and hiss at the open bay door--yep--huge feline.crept up on me like a fog in the valley.

...and all I had in my hand was an open-ended 11/16 wrench!!!

gotta keep eyes behind your back when stalking these critters. NV or thermal sights all the better.
View Quote

And what happened?  

I'd have stuck my thumb joint on the open end of the wrench & when it jumped me used all my strength to jam it thru it's eye.

Then changed my pants.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Doesn't surprise me at all.

I used to live in MS and they claim there are no Panthers in MS. Yeah, well when game cameras started getting more popular they started showing up.

My bet is there are more, but you'll never know they are there since they are so sneaky.

I remember reading an outdoor life article one time and this guy was walking out of the woods after hunting that afternoon. He felt like he was being watched. He ran the last little stretch to his truck and as soon as he got inside the truck the Panther jumped on his hood.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Doesn't surprise me at all.

I used to live in MS and they claim there are no Panthers in MS. Yeah, well when game cameras started getting more popular they started showing up.

My bet is there are more, but you'll never know they are there since they are so sneaky.

I remember reading an outdoor life article one time and this guy was walking out of the woods after hunting that afternoon. He felt like he was being watched. He ran the last little stretch to his truck and as soon as he got inside the truck the Panther jumped on his hood.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have seen them.
If you talk to NC wildlife they will tell you "there are no panthers or mountain lions in NC"
But I saw one, "there are no panthers or mountain lions in NC"
I was talking to a game warden that had known me for years.
This was not a something running in the woods it was two minuets of it sitting looking at me and me looking at it till it got board and walked off.
"there are no panthers or mountain lions in NC"
OK, so when I shoot it there are no laws covering it. "you don't want to do that"

NOI
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have seen them.
If you talk to NC wildlife they will tell you "there are no panthers or mountain lions in NC"
But I saw one, "there are no panthers or mountain lions in NC"
I was talking to a game warden that had known me for years.
This was not a something running in the woods it was two minuets of it sitting looking at me and me looking at it till it got board and walked off.
"there are no panthers or mountain lions in NC"
OK, so when I shoot it there are no laws covering it. "you don't want to do that"

NOI
View Quote

Haha!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Just tell him you thought it was the neighbors cat, since there aren't any mountain lions in North Carolina.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#20]
There is a mountain lion in Watauga County  in the Matney community between Valley Crucis and banner Elk. My wife and I have seen it in broad daylight and it ran across the road in front of her one night. According to my BIL who lives in Matney is it seen quite often.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#21]

They are in Brunswick County for sure, saw one recently on 133 between Boiling Spring Lakes and Leland, high beams, got a good look at it, I've seen your standard cougar in the Rockies, this was not it.

And yes, game wardens do not acknowledge it, but I know someone who brought one in at the state line, SC side, after asking if they existed and being told no, even with trail cam shots, biiig fines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top