Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2011 1:34:30 PM EDT
I don't live anywhere near Forsyth Co.  but we need to set this lawbreaking sheriff straight.

Here's a link with email addresses and text you can easily send this douchebag.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=7gs74beab&v=001SBtHnIBAttOjuKB-gS-WsrSxqU7AUqTh5DD-h2u5OVl3jWQgormH430UbzA4IWHCm_fQc_Ve5QQytYBODhk-cmhzzGpPNtpO_Ck7X_BYz5g%3D

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
This is nothing new several years ago I had a disagreement with my sheriff over his bogus fees so I survey a dozen different counties in my area and wilkes county was the ONLY ONE to follow the law to the letter.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone should refuse to give the info.  Then if he trys to not issue a permit then the person should sue him in court.  I think a lawyer would take it because there is almost no way you could lose.  The law is clearly on your side.  And I would think a lawyer would be foaming at the mouth to sue the county because there is a good chance of a large pay day.  But I may be wrong on that part.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the reasons why I voted against him in the last primary.

How long until he comes up for election again?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Someone should refuse to give the info.  Then if he trys to not issue a permit then the person should sue him in court.  I think a lawyer would take it because there is almost no way you could lose.  The law is clearly on your side.  And I would think a lawyer would be foaming at the mouth to sue the county because there is a good chance of a large pay day.  But I may be wrong on that part.

The reason the sheriff is getting away with this is because of NCGS 14-415.15 a(b) which says the sheriff may conduct any investigation necessary to determine the qualification or competency of the applicant for the permit.  Also you can't sue the sheriff as he is protected by NCGS 14-415.20
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Just what is Schatzman trying to determine by checking on your employment?  If you are hot-headed at work or work somewhere that prohibits firearm possession?

Sounds like some douchebaggery.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:30:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just what is Schatzman trying to determine by checking on your employment?  If you are hot-headed at work or work somewhere that prohibits firearm possession?

That pretty much sums him up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just what is Schatzman trying to determine by checking on your employment?  If you are hot-headed at work or work somewhere that prohibits firearm possession?Sounds like some douchebaggery.

Yep I think you just answer your own question I do however agree with you about it being douchebaggery
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I can see how the Sheriff is in a very wide gray area in the statute.  I would say we need a re-write to dictate which "investigations" can be cinducted but I'm afraid the legislature would use it as an excuse to add new and onerous restrictions.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#9]
One of the biggest problems is the NC Sheriff's assoc. they are a very powerful lobbing group that oppose's anything that limits the Sheriff's power.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He probably wants to know if the applicant has a job. None of his business in my opinion but I could imagine him thinking that an unemployed applicant could be some kind of a lesser citizen. Maybe he just wants to see if anyone is dumb enough to put pimp or drug dealer on their application. I suppose an argument could be made that those careers are particularly dangerous.
The Sheriff is the old guy on the left. He looks like a nice guy; reminds me of my grandfather.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The latest from GRNC says that the sheriff has backed down and made the disclosure of employment information optional.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:20:00 AM EDT
[#12]
It wasn't optional last week when my wife and I turned in our application.  The couple in front of us where told to fill it out that sheet...we had already filled our out since we downloaded it from home.

On a side note I had to test the waters...I asked what forms do I need to fill out for a "suppressor"..    You should have seen the looks I got....both from the officers  AND my wife...  

Long story short they (the officers weren't exactly sure what a "suppressor" was...though one knew what a "silencer" was ..lol....took them 15 minutes to come back to me and let me know they would schedule me an appoint with a Lt who would "interview" me for my "needs" BUT this particular officer had seen a few requests for these over the past two years but they don't allow anyone to have them...  so I said no worries then..I'll just skip the Sheriff and get one without him.  Got a funny look but oh well......if they don't know the law....
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#13]
He's a former Fed. what else do you expect from one that is greater than the common people?

I will be voiting against him next election just like I did last election
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He's a former Fed. what else do you expect from one that is greater than the common people?

I will be voiting against him next election just like I did last election

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top