Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2017 5:32:39 PM EDT
My son is coming in from Portland in a few weeks and is flying Frontier - I want to send him back with 2 complete lowers ( rest of rifle and mags go FedEx) - Anyone give me what to expect for Hassles, Hoops, and Hurdles to expect???
Do we need a special locked container - or just a duffle bag secured???  What has been your experience getting out of here?? Thanx
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If they are not his firearms, but firearms you are giving/gifting to him, you can not transfer them to him, they must go to an FFL in his state.  From BATFE:

ATF
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If they're lowers never used on anything, they are an "other" and must be transferred to him by a dealer in his state (because they could become a pistol).  If they have a butt stock installed, then it's a rifle and can be transferred to him in any state that allows it (which MO does allow it)......but then it's always a rifle.  If you're just loaning them for "lawful sporting purposes" then nothing is required.

As far as checking them on the airline, if he doesn't have a lockable hard sided suitcase, then he needs a hardsided lockable box inside of his soft sided luggage.  Not sure if frontier allows multiple firearms per bag.  Some airlines only allow one.  Frontier sucks, but no problems checking a firearm last week for me.

Are these anything special??  Might just be easier to buy a couple on your credit card and have them transferred to him in is home state.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they're lowers never used on anything, they are an "other" and must be transferred to him by a dealer in his state (because they could become a pistol).  If they have a butt stock installed, then it's a rifle and can be transferred to him in any state that allows it (which MO does allow it)......but then it's always a rifle.  If you're just loaning them for "lawful sporting purposes" then nothing is required.

As far as checking them on the airline, if he doesn't have a lockable hard sided suitcase, then he needs a hardsided lockable box inside of his soft sided luggage.  Not sure if frontier allows multiple firearms per bag.  Some airlines only allow one.  Frontier sucks, but no problems checking a firearm last week for me.

Are these anything special??  Might just be easier to buy a couple on your credit card and have them transferred to him in is home state.
View Quote
Not exactly accurate.  A stock installed on a lower does NOT make it a rifle.  It does not become a rifle until a barreled upper is installed.

However once assembled as a rifle, always a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
My "friend" says that you should just fedex those to "yourself" at your son's address and just have him "hold on to them" until you get there..... some day.

Frontier doesn't follow their own rules on LOTs of things, ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not exactly accurate.  A stock installed on a lower does NOT make it a rifle.  It does not become a rifle until a barreled upper is installed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good point, thanks for adding that.  

Quoted:
My "friend" says that you should just fedex those to "yourself" at your son's address and just have him "hold on to them" until you get there..... some day.

Dude, Frontier is a friggin' cattle car.  If I would have known how shitty it was, I would have paid the extra money for another carrier.  The seats were like on a subway or public bus.  Tray table was about 8x4--not big enough to set anything on.  I had to click through SIX screens of add-on's just to check-in.  $35 to check a bag, and $35 for a carry-on (prepaid)......double that at the airport.  They even charge for water if you need it.  Funny how Southwest is usually the cheapest, but it's no BS and stupid easy to book, check-in, and fly with.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow.. We must have a mutual friend.  Mine said something very similar.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not that I am doubting you
Tell me how that works . If the installer (for lack of a better word) puts a rifle upper on and later wants to change it to a pistol upper Whom is going to know but the installer ???????????????????????
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not that I am doubting you
Tell me how that works . If the installer (for lack of a better word) puts a rifle upper on and later wants to change it to a pistol upper Whom is going to know but the installer ???????????????????????
View Quote
No one is going to know.......

But in the context of this thread, the op would be transferring it as a rifle.  (I.e. Paperwork trail created that it is in fact a rifle.)

This proves especially important when people start messing with pistol gripped 12 gauges, that originally had butt stocks and we're initially transferred as a "shotgun".

Small chance anyone would ever get caught, but cheap insurance just to pay the extra couple bucks to keep yourself extra legal
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 If the installer (for lack of a better word) puts a rifle upper on and later wants to change it to a pistol upper Whom is going to know but the installer ???????????????????????
View Quote
The chance of getting caught, has nothing to do with whether something is legal. It's still illegal, even if only one person knows that it happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top