Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2017 6:36:32 PM EDT
Any you STL guys have one? Where do you take it out at? I was thinking about picking one up to play around in and fish from.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any you STL guys have one? Where do you take it out at? I was thinking about picking one up to play around in and fish from.
View Quote
I have a pair of them.  I like them much better than a canoe...  I feel like I can control it better, can go faster if I need/Want to and feel much more stable than when in a canoe with someone else...

Mine is the sit in kind where there is a big opening in the middle for me to sit in and a smaller opening (kinda like a trunk) behnd me that has a rubber lid that kind snap presses on.  Its where I usually put a Coleman 12PK size Cooler.

Places where I use mine, we have a cabin with a small lake, we tool around it some.  Have taken it to some of the floats down around Cuba, like Bass Resort, but its really a hassle as they shove them in the bus everyone rides on, vs on the trailer. 

My favorite place to take it, is down to Sam A Baker State Park, which is off of Hwy 34... Kinda between Greenville and Peidmont if not familiar with it.   We put in up there on one of the launch spots and float all the way out to the Big 34 Bridge that goes over the river, you pass it on 34, on the way into the park...  Takes about a half day unless the river is really high or your paddling your butt off...  We usually stop a few places to eat, swim, jump off the rocks, etc....  I don't usually fish much, but I've seen plenty of others do it, while we're tooling along...
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#2]
There used to be a few guys that met at Creve Coeur lake on Thursday night's.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up this one made by Wilderness Systems

My advice is order one online and get one from Perception, Wilderness Systems or Dagger.  One worth owning will be between $600-900 and you will pay almost the same price for a mediocre one that you'll find ad Gander, Cabelas, etc. as you would a nice one that you get online from a company that specializes in them.  I got mine from Backcountry.com out of Salt Lake City.  Incredible customer service.  

Another option is to watch craigslist and find a nice condition used one.  fishing Kayaks are kind of a new thing so you may not find a nice one on there.

Edit: found this new shop in Hannibal....... by their pics they appear to have top shelf stuff which means they know what they are doing and are not stocking the generic crap.  https://stlouis.craigslist.org/sgd/6154268709.html
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Hubby & I each picked some up on craigslist last year that were in excellent shape. Both made by Perception. I've only gone out on Port Hudson Lake a couple times but he has taken his on the Meramec and the Big Rivers as well. Alpine shop has events where you can try a few out on either Creve Coeur Lake or Simpson Lake before you buy so you can figure out what type is best for you. Both of ours are sit-on-top, his is narrow and fast, easy to maneuver, but easier to tip. Mine is a barge, slow and difficult but extremely stable, so much that you can stand up in it. We took our 80# dog on his first ride over the holiday weekend and it didn't tip once. There's a ton of options out there, try a few out...
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is a Feel Free Lure 10, it's definitely not the fastest boat on the water, but I love it.  I'd recommend a sit on top as well, lots of options here - Austin Kayak. I usually use mine on the Meramec, Huzzah, Courtois, Big Piney, and Gasconade. I also float the Little Niangua/Niangua and Eleven Point when possible.  I need to do the Current and Jack's Fork this summer too.  There are so many great rivers in this state, just get yourself a boat you like and get on the water.

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Dumb question but I guess when on the rivers, the rental companies allow you to put your boat on their trailer to get it back to your car at the end of the day?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Brown's rental will ride with you to a put in and drive your vehicle back to their place for like $20. You just have to call ahead and set it up.
I personally have the perception pescador 12, great boat and it's actually a reused wilderness tarpon design.
Unfortunately you just missed Dick's sporting goods big boat sale, their Talon can be had for around 400 during the sale and people seem to love it.
Academy runs deals alot too, I've seen the pescador 12 for 400 there and the OK Prowler for 600

Best advice is to either meet up with a few people with some or try a demo days.
Different boats have different characteristics and handle different.
Generally speaking the longer, the better tracking .
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dumb question but I guess when on the rivers, the rental companies allow you to put your boat on their trailer to get it back to your car at the end of the day?
View Quote
Yes, you pay for the shuttle fee. Also, a lot of places you will float back to where you are parked, so you just ride the shuttle to the put in spot. 
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
We have always went to Bass Resort down by Cuba Mo and it was kind of a pain as they would not put them on the trailer for some stupid reason and shoved them in the Bus with everyone... 

Seems it crowded some folks and they were bitching and making snide comments at us, till I told them to STFU or find a different ride...
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#10]
FYI it's $32 for the 10 mile float at Blue Spring's Ranch in Bourbon, this is to ride their bus/trailer a kayak and float back to your car.   I just went yesterday and did 10 miles on the Meramec, it's a nice 5 hr float. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#11]
While we're on the subject, have any of you used an outfitter for an overnight?

I think my son would enjoy that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I've only done an overnight trip once (on the Eleven Point) and I did not use an outfitter.  All you really need is a shuttle to the drop off point and then you can take care of everything else.  If you have a canoe you can take a lot of supplies compared to a kayak.  Also, camping next to the river sure is nice. 

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
While we're on the subject, have any of you used an outfitter for an overnight?

I think my son would enjoy that.
View Quote
Never used an outfitter but have done numerous overnights and three-day floats . . . but always out of canoes.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've only done an overnight trip once (on the Eleven Point) and I did not use an outfitter.  All you really need is a shuttle to the drop off point and then you can take care of everything else.  If you have a canoe you can take a lot of supplies compared to a kayak.  Also, camping next to the river sure is nice. 

http://i.imgur.com/3aUsidx.jpg
View Quote
That looks awesome.

I sold my canoe just before we moved to KC, so my options are a jon boat or a very small kayak thats barely big enough to fish out of.  Since my son will be with me a canoe is a must, so I'll have to go with an outfitter.

I've been looking over several of them for the past week or so & it looks like most of them offer an overnight float deal.  I just wonder which would be best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top