Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2017 9:53:01 PM EDT
stltoday.com

“The original reason to sell the weapons was to purchase new duty weapons, and we did so well on the sale, we will be able to purchase rifles as well, by our own actions without using any budget money,” Shepard said. “That was the most important thing for us. We made our own money to take care of our own problem.”...

...Kentucky-based Midwest Distributors will pay $22,000 for each of the department’s 27 Tommy guns, which makes up the bulk of the $618,500 the company is spending to buy the department’s surplus weapons.
View Quote
1) I'm surprised they still had Tommy guns.

2) I'm surprised they're actually selling them for public consumption considering how liberal the City tends to be, but that is a lot of money.  I wonder how many cities would destroy them before selling them to the public.

3) I wish I could afford one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Bout freaking time......they announced this three years ago.  Kind of surprised they didn't go for more.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bout freaking time......they announced this three years ago.  Kind of surprised they didn't go for more.
View Quote
The article said they were going to auction them, but that was too difficult because of the red tape.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The article said they were going to auction them, but that was too difficult because of the red tape.
View Quote
Yep that was the original plan, then Ferguson happened.......I imagine that had a lot to do with it.  If they could have netted another 10-20%, that red tape is worth it--but I don't think they wanted the PR.

What is this red tape they speak of??  Form 4--yeah, it takes a while and you do NOT have to have a "federal permit" like the article says
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep that was the original plan, then Ferguson happened.......I imagine that had a lot to do with it.  If they could have netted another 10-20%, that red tape is worth it--but I don't think they wanted the PR.

What is this red tape they speak of??  Form 4--yeah, it takes a while and you do NOT have to have a "federal permit" like the article says
View Quote
Exactly what I thought too...

I find a lot of people (Reporters, journalists, even L.E.) don't know much about gun laws, especially NFA unless they are ""Gun Guys"... 
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Exactly what I thought too...

I find a lot of people (Reporters, journalists, even L.E.) don't know much about gun laws, especially NFA unless they are ""Gun Guys"... 
View Quote
It's all "class III" to the uninformed.

No, it's Title II, and you don't have to be a FFL to own transferrable NFA items--just the stamp.  They look at you like you are crazy and/or a criminal.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
stltoday.com

“The original reason to sell the weapons was to purchase new duty weapons, and we did so well on the sale, we will be able to purchase rifles as well, by our own actions without using any budget money,” Shepard said. “That was the most important thing for us. We made our own money to take care of our own problem.”...

...Kentucky-based Midwest Distributors will pay $22,000 for each of the department’s 27 Tommy guns, which makes up the bulk of the $618,500 the company is spending to buy the department’s surplus weapons.
View Quote
1) I'm surprised they still had Tommy guns.

2) I'm surprised they're actually selling them for public consumption considering how liberal the City tends to be, but that is a lot of money.  I wonder how many cities would destroy them before selling them to the public.
Now you know what it takes to buy their conscience.  (Not that they really have one!)
3) I wish I could afford one.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#8]
They could easily have gotten much more selling to the public.  It will be interesting to see how the Distributor sells them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They could easily have gotten much more selling to the public.  It will be interesting to see how the Distributor sells them.
View Quote
Already called them twice, and will try again tomorrow........  
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#10]
They also have a Vickers machine gun but I have no idea if that one is transferrable.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:26:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So what is the penalty for possessing four unregistered old machine guns? 
View Quote
I remember reading a story in the newspaper about an old lady whose WWII veteran husband passed away and she finally started clearing out his stuff.  In a closet was a MP38, MP40, or some old german machine gun.  She took it down to the gun buy back and got her $20.  Luckily the cops realized what it was and they didn't melt it down.  Per the story, they were going to hold onto it until she could sell it to a museum.  Never heard a follow up though.....maybe she's in jail now.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Many years ago, I test fired several of the SLPD 1921 Thompson while I was assigned to the Vice-Narcotics Unit. They hadn't been fired in a while and they wanted all the weapons in the Bureau of Investigation bunker test fired and cleaned.  I volunteered of course and we headed down to the range with an assortment of 16 gauge whippets, Thompsons and a few less glamourous weapons.  I remember at least one of the Thompsons was an original 1921 model with a two digit serial number.  I never saw any drums in the bunker but we had a ton of loaded 20-round stick magazines. We brought a box full of them and shot it all up.  I still have a coffee can full of nickel W-W 45ACP casings from that day.

Last year I had another chance to fire a Thompson.  They're fun to shoot but are difficult to hold on target.  See the video below.

These weapons have been collecting dust for decades and I think it was a smart move to use these to provide new pistols and patrol carbines for St. Louis Officers.  I'm still hoping I'll get a chance to buy my duty Beretta 92D when it gets traded in.

Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I remember reading a story in the newspaper about an old lady whose WWII veteran husband passed away and she finally started clearing out his stuff.  In a closet was a MP38, MP40, or some old german machine gun.  She took it down to the gun buy back and got her $20.  Luckily the cops realized what it was and they didn't melt it down.  Per the story, they were going to hold onto it until she could sell it to a museum.  Never heard a follow up though.....maybe she's in jail now.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what is the penalty for possessing four unregistered old machine guns? 
If you could let ,me know when they in fact do sell off the Beretta 92Ds, that would be great! I have a friend that used to be on with Saint Louis PD downtown and he would like to own what he used to carry. I am having a hell of a time finding a decent 92D.

Steve
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you could let ,me know when they in fact do sell off the Beretta 92Ds, that would be great! I have a friend that used to be on with Saint Louis PD downtown and he would like to own what he used to carry. I am having a hell of a time finding a decent 92D.

Steve
View Quote
Steve,

The process is in progress right now. I just ordered one myself. MO residents only and one gun per retiree. If your friend would like more information on how to order, let me now. I worked the downtown district for many years.  Perhaps I know your friend.

The order process will end soon but the weapons aren;t due for a couple of more months. They are waiting for Beretta to deliver the new ones. There are no special requests for certain numbered guns being honored. You are only guaranteed a working model 92D with two magazines.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Steve,

The process is in progress right now. I just ordered one myself. MO residents only and one gun per retiree. If your friend would like more information on how to order, let me now. I worked the downtown district for many years.  Perhaps I know your friend.

The order process will end soon but the weapons aren;t due for a couple of more months. They are waiting for Beretta to deliver the new ones. There are no special requests for certain numbered guns being honored. You are only guaranteed a working model 92D with two magazines.
View Quote
Yes, please let me know.

Quick update, I found that Classic Firearms has some of the old surplus new in the box 92Ds from Saint Louis and ordered him one of those.

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top