Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 11:42:43 PM EDT
I had a plan.

When I got the funds, I was going to buy a SilencerCo Specwar 762 from SilencerShop.com and use DIY Rifle for the transfer.

Then there was some issue between SilencerShop and SilencerCo and they aren't doing business together anymore.

Then DIY Rifle announced they were closing their shop.

Then SilencerCo dropped the Specwar 762 from their lineup.

So I'm trying to come up with a new plan.

I'm currently looking at the SilencerCo Saker ASR 762.  Since it's still from SilencerCo, SilencerShop is not an option.

I've seen several people on various forums mention Capitol Armory.  They have the one I want in stock, but according to their site, you will see a list of dealers in your area only after the checkout.  I was trying to figure out in advance which dealer to go with and how much they charge for transfers.

Any advice on which dealers are good to work with and who don't charge an arm and a leg?

Any sites other than Capitol Armory that are good to work with?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I would call Bret at BR guns.  he stocks silencer co and others.  a lot of members here buy from him and i have never heard anything bad

ok, well there is one bad thing....you go to their place and usually leave with an empty wallet and a fat stack of paper to fill out
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Forgot to mention that I'm on the east side.

Although, I would be willing to take a road trip if that's what needs to be done to be happy with the whole experience.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#3]
He has quite a few customers that live in St Louis if that says anything.   FYI, he works out of his house so you do need to schedule the apportionment before hand
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He has quite a few customers that live in St Louis if that says anything.   FYI, he works out of his house so you do need to schedule the apportionment before hand
View Quote

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered a Griffin Optimus from Hansohn Brothers.  They had by far the best price.  

Working with Razorback Armory in Des Peres for the transfer.  They have the new-ish Silencer Shop kiosk where they can take your picture and do your fingerprints, making the form 4 process much easier.  

Still waiting for the form 3 to clear so it can be transferred to Razorback and I can begin the form 4 process.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there a list somewhere of who charges how much for NFA transfers?

I tried looking at the "Cheap FFL Transfers" thread, but it seems dated.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Bret is great. I've also used Ken at C&S in St. Charles with good success. Heavy smoke environment though at C&S which keeps from visiting on a more frequent basis.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can't find anyone on the East side, let me know.  I can send you the forms so you only have to make the trip to KC once the forms are approved.

Thanks,

Bret
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Give Big Al a call at Mid-America Arms. They keep a nice stock of suppressors and he's a member here. I've bought a couple from him and he's treated me very well.  

(314) 631-3130

@bigalcar

ETA, I've also bought from Bret at BRguns and Ken at C&S.  They're both great to work with also!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone for all the recommendations!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I would go to Bret.  Yeah... your gonna have to drive there.  Make a day of it and have fun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#12]
SUBMGee
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just got an email from CapitolArmory.com advertising closeout Specwar 762 cans for $545 plus the $200 SilencerCo gift card ( which is only spendable in the SiCo web store).

You're welcome.
View Quote

Well, that pretty much makes the decision for me.

Thank you!

Edit:

I thought the decision was made, but now I'm weighing more options - Capitol Armory's deal doesn't come with a muzzle device.  Quiet Riot has it for $600, but includes a muzzle device.  Both come with the $200 SilencerCo credit.

I went by a local shop that Quiet Riot does business with to find out more, and noticed that they have the Silencer Shop kiosk.  Unfortunately, my first two choices are the Specwar 762 and the Saker ASR 762 both from SilencerCo.  Unless those two kiss and make up, no Silencer Shop kiosk for me.

Then things came up like the 7" barrel length on my 5.56, which silencers really are quieter, how much difference you can tell, adjustable carriers, etc.  Now I'm almost rethinking the entire thing.

I may need to make another post over in the silencer section to see if I can make up my mind again.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Edit part two:

I went with the Specwar 762.  I did a lot of research a year ago and came to the conclusion that this was the suppressor that I wanted.   When I started researching again this year, it still kept popping to the top of my list.  Capitol Armory was a little less expensive, but when considering the mount, I think Quiet Riot had a slightly better deal.  I decided to use MOA LLC for the transfer since they have worked with Quiet Riot in the past.  Now I just have to wait 3 months for the form 3 and 9 months for the form 4.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Eagle Armory they have a Silencer Shop kiosk as well. gTg $15.00 transfers on regular firearms
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Give Big Al a call at Mid-America Arms. They keep a nice stock of suppressors and he's a member here. I've bought a couple from him and he's treated me very well.  

(314) 631-3130

@bigalcar
View Quote

Yessir - he was great to deal with on my Mask.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Questions about the fingerprints and photographs.  I looked at the stickied thread at the top of the page, and the link within, but both are dated.

When I built my SBR, I took my own picture with my cell phone and printed it out.  I keep seeing people say to get a passport photo.  Did something change, or can I still do my own picture?

For the fingerprints, last time I tried the chief LEO (Sheriff of Cole County at the time), but they did not have ink, just the scanner type fingerprint machine, so I went by the Highway Patrol there in Jeff City where they did background checks and a guy came out with ink and did my cards for me.  Now that they have things like Silencer Shop kiosks, does it matter who does the fingerprints?  Could I do them myself?  Where do people on the east side go to get fingerprints done?

Edit -
I just called St Louis county PD.  They said I can go to the records room at the headquarters in Clayton.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Not sure if you already bought one or not, but if you are in the St Louis area you can use The Range St. Louis West. The plus of using them is that while your suppressor is in "jail" you can go in and shoot it on their range.  Just something to consider.

Just for full disclosure I do work there

Phil
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I may be late to the game; however, I am still a GEMTECH ProStaff member.

If you would be interested in the our line of suppressors, and I am in St. Louis, I would be happy to meet at say, Southern Armory... who is one of our area dealer (and they are about 2 miles from my house)... or I am a member of the ARPC.

I have been known to attend "Range Day" shoots (right Eric?) though it has been a while.

I'd be happy to help any way I can.

Kuj
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not sure if you already bought one or not, but if you are in the St Louis area you can use The Range St. Louis West. The plus of using them is that while your suppressor is in "jail" you can go in and shoot it on their range.  Just something to consider.

Just for full disclosure I do work there

Phil
View Quote
+1 for The Range West and their kiosk.   I got some prints done at the Manchester Police Dept a few months ago and it was a pain in the ass.  I did the self serve kiosk at The Range last month and it took about 1/4 of the time, they have a pretty nice selection of guns for sale as well. 
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all of the additional replies!

I already bought one and when the Form 3 clears it will be mailed to a shop pretty much right around the corner from me.

I'm already starting to save up for another one, so when the time comes, I'll remember your suggestions.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, that wasn't too bad...

I ordered the suppressor on March 1st.  It's out for delivery today.  I thought the form 3 would take longer.

Now to do the form 4 and wait all over again.  

Edit to add -

Went by the shop today and got to see my suppressor.  Used the Silencer Shop kiosk to do the fingerprints, used the app on my phone for the photo, came home and paid the $200 tax stamp.

Fingers crossed that I get to take it home before the end of the year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top