Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2016 6:11:49 PM EDT
If I wanted to buy a few acres of land out in a Missouri county (not municipal) for shooting purposes, install berms etc for safety, what relevant Missouri statues, if any, should I be concerned about?

I have searched here and in the RSMO and I cant find a single statute that seems to apply.  My research would lead me to believe that as long as I am not in a municipal jurisdiction, there is zero reason why I couldn't have my own private range.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Just make sure you're in some unincorporated area that allows shooting, and blast away.

Here's one example from my old place, which was in Villa Ridge. (About 14mi West of Six Flags).

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_32/362288_.html&page=1

Police (state and county) were there a few times when we had the bigger shoots, because some goof neighbor (across the field, in a different direction) said we were shooting at their house, but after a safety check they left. No problems at all.

Now I'm in Cole County, outside of Russellville, and still shoot. I have a 50 yard range in the woods, but just as often we shoot out in the driveway.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:16:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Some counties, even if you live in the sticks, require a person to still get a permit to make sure you're within code of most anything. If there's a way to make money, they'll find the way into your pocket.

I know Cass County is assholes about this, but Johnson County, outside of any city limit boundries is free to do what you want with your property as long as it doesn't affect streams, creeks, wildlife, habitat or other laws --- so far. There has been some representatives who've tried to change the law, but have been struck down by the votes.

So check with your county clerk about any laws of what you want to do with your property to be sure you're GTG or you're stopped by the permit BS.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info.  I didn't realize that some counties had ordinances as well.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Me neither. Sorry my info was wrong.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#6]
ive always enjoyed just walking out my back door 35 yds to my own range, but i have no neighbors closest one is over  mile in any direction

good luck on your range

TS2
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I've built 2 ranges, not public (open) but have monthly matches, up to 240 shooters . no permits here , that's one reason I chose to live in Morgan co.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top