Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2016 4:05:44 PM EDT
I don't hunt, but a buddy asked if he could use my AR pistol for the Alternative Methods season.  Is AR pistol OK - with a 10.5" barrel & red dot sight?  Of course using soft point or other legal cartridge in a 10r mag.

Thx

ETA: Buchanan county fwiw - also his shots are 70y or less.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
ALLOWED
Muzzleloading or cap-and-ball firearms, .40 caliber or larger and capable of firing only a single projectile at one discharge; in-lines and scopes are allowed.
Multiple-barreled muzzleloading or cap-and-ball firearms and/or muzzleloading or cap-and-ball handguns, including revolvers, .40 caliber or larger, are allowed and may be carried in addition to a muzzleloading or cap-and-ball rifle.
Centerfire pistols or revolvers using expanding-type bullets, such as lead or copper
Air-powered guns, .40 caliber or larger, charged only from an external high compression power source (external hand pump, air tank, or air compressor)
Longbows, compound bows, and recurve bows of any draw wright; hand-held string-releasing devices, illuminated sights, scopes, and quickpoint sights are allowed.
Crossbows
Atlatls, which are defined as a rod or narrow board-like device used to launch, through a throwing motion of the arm, a dart 5 to 8 feet in length.
PROHIBITED
Any rifle capable of being loaded by any means other than the muzzle
Shotguns
Self-loading firearms with capacity of more than 11 cartridges in magazine and chamber combined
Ammunition propelling more than one projectile at a single discharge (such as buckshot)
Full hard metal case projectiles
Fully automatic firearms
Any sighting device that casts a beam of light on the game
Electronic calls or electronically activated calls
Night vision equipment
Use of bait
Use of dogs
Motor driven conveyances may not be used to take, drive or molest wildlife. Deer may not be hunted from a boat with a motor attached.
Additional methods may be prohibited by local ordinances.

Copied directly off of MDC's website for alternative season.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ALLOWED
Muzzleloading or cap-and-ball firearms, .40 caliber or larger and capable of firing only a single projectile at one discharge; in-lines and scopes are allowed.
Multiple-barreled muzzleloading or cap-and-ball firearms and/or muzzleloading or cap-and-ball handguns, including revolvers, .40 caliber or larger, are allowed and may be carried in addition to a muzzleloading or cap-and-ball rifle.
Centerfire pistols or revolvers using expanding-type bullets, such as lead or copper
Air-powered guns, .40 caliber or larger, charged only from an external high compression power source (external hand pump, air tank, or air compressor)
Longbows, compound bows, and recurve bows of any draw wright; hand-held string-releasing devices, illuminated sights, scopes, and quickpoint sights are allowed.
Crossbows
Atlatls, which are defined as a rod or narrow board-like device used to launch, through a throwing motion of the arm, a dart 5 to 8 feet in length.
PROHIBITED
Shotguns
Self-loading firearms with capacity of more than 11 cartridges in magazine and chamber combined
Ammunition propelling more than one projectile at a single discharge (such as buckshot)
Fully automatic firearms
Night vision equipment
Use of bait
Use of dogs
Motor driven conveyances may not be used to take, drive or molest wildlife. Deer may not be hunted from a boat with a motor attached.

View Quote

I did read this before posting, and the AR pistol qualifies, technically.  Just wanted to make sure I am not reading some legalese that isn't really there.  Gracias muchacho.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I did read this before posting, and the AR pistol qualifies, technically.  Just wanted to make sure I am not reading some legalese that isn't really there.  Gracias muchacho.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ALLOWED
Crossbows
PROHIBITED
Shotguns
Fully automatic firearms
Night vision equipment
Use of bait
Use of dogs

Technically it does qualify, but knowing MDC and the bunch of fudds that work for them, I would think he might have some trouble using one. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I think a modern centerfire pistol(revolver or semiauto) is still considered a firearm, no matter the barrel length.

Alternative weapons is considered to be Atlatis, muzzleloaders(pistol/rifle).  I know they make some air/gas guns that shoot 35/40/50 caliber balls, but unsure if deer hunting legal.

You can even use a slingshot for game, but not for deer or turkey hunting.

I know crossbows can be used now for firearms permit deer hunting(without a disability permit and tag from Conservation), but I don't know if this would now be considered a alternative weapon.

You would really need to talk to the office of conservation that takes care of Buchanan County to get the scoop and keep legal is my best answer.

EDIT. Looks like the above answered about pistols being alternative weapons and are GTG.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I use my Glock 20 10mm for alternative methods season. The AR pistol is legal for this season as well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't the MDC consider an SBR to be a pistol because it has a barrel less than 16 inches?

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Doesn't the MDC consider an SBR to be a pistol because it has a barrel less than 16 inches?

View Quote

I don't think so. I talked to an agent about it once, and he said they go with the legal descriptions.

To OP; I'll be using my AR pistol again this year. I haven't shot a deer with it yet, but I'm hoping this will be the year.

(Just make sure your magazine only accepts 10 rounds).

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]

They sure are!    

Last year during Alternative Methods.  Now it wears a can.  I'm waiting on a Form 1 for an SBR but Ill keep the pistol lower just for Alt Methods season.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They sure are!    

Last year during Alternative Methods.  Now it wears a can.  I'm waiting on a Form 1 for an SBR but Ill keep the pistol lower just for Alt Methods season.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u211/starvinpilgrim/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsydukybbn.jpeg
View Quote

Awesome.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
What about a 16" barreled upper on a complete pistol lower bought as a pistol lower?  Does over all length matter for pistol qualifications?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use my Glock 20 10mm for alternative methods season. The AR pistol is legal for this season as well.
View Quote

How far out do you feel good about using it?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What about a 16" barreled upper on a complete pistol lower bought as a pistol lower?  Does over all length matter for pistol qualifications?
View Quote

Hey, yeah!  I could put the 16" scoped upper on the pistol lower.  Good idea.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]
yep they are legal .
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Where can we find the definition that the MDC uses for a "pistol?" Might be useful to have it pulled up on a phone, just in case.

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where can we find the definition that the MDC uses for a "pistol?" Might be useful to have it pulled up on a phone, just in case.
View Quote

I see what you mean.  MDC says 'centerfire pistol' without clarification (would be a significant undertaking to list every single make/model that is allowed).  I googled for a while and came up with nothing, and it's always a leap to assume ... that NFA definition is same as MDC.  

My lower was shipped as 'other', and it was built into a pistol lower.  This is on dude's private property fwiw.  He probably has to fill something out stating the weapon type that was used to dispatch the deer?
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes it is legal.

That is all there is to it.

As long as it started life as an "other" or "pistol" and does not have a shoulder stock it is legal.

I recommend using a Sig Brace or Blade for extra stability on long shots.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How far out do you feel good about using it?
View Quote

I limit myself to 50 yards with it. I practice this distance regularly and am confident I can put the bullet where it needs to be. I killed one at 35 yards with it last season and the 180 XTPs I'm using worked great.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes it is legal.

That is all there is to it.

As long as it started life as an "other" or "pistol" and does not have a shoulder stock it is legal.

I recommend using a Sig Brace or Blade for extra stability on long shots.
View Quote

Excellent stabilization qualities.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Went deer hunting today. Saw eight squirrels, two dogs, and an owl.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Be careful of various CA regulations.

There are a few CA's which are Muzzle Loader only for all of the different firearms seasons.  I remember reading centerfire pistols aren't allowed in those areas.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Sometimes they also have buck-only/doe-only rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top