Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2016 1:42:01 PM EDT
Me and my 12 year old son are going to go riding here in October. Is there anything on the trails to look out for that is dangerous. I have been riding for years my son only 2 years. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Trails are color coded.  Some are narrow so you have to watch ahead for oncoming traffic.  There are some messy hill climbs but also avoidable.

If you have the chance to pick up shock covers get a set. I destroyed the seals on $1600 Ohlins in the mine tails.  Had to rebuild.

Its a VERY nice camp area and quite enjoyable.  Flag is required
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Back when I was an air ambulance pilot, we were over there quite often picking people up.  Dangerous place--and if you wiped out in the woods, it could be hours to get you out.  We transported quite a few bodies out of there that we were just taking to STL to harvest the organs.

So, not to scare you, but be really freakin' careful.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Me and my 12 year old son are going to go riding here in October. Is there anything on the trails to look out for that is dangerous. I have been riding for years my son only 2 years. Thanks
View Quote
I think it depends on which parts you ride and how technical of a rider you are...

If you stay down in the Sandy flatter areas, its not bad at all, but if you go up into the trails, some of them are smooth riding and some have a pretty good V-shape gouges  cut out by all the MX bikes...  Also have to be on the lookout for crazy riders...

I myself am not really much of a ""Technical Rider" I'm more of the old man leisurely cruising about, checking out the scenery...  

I've wrecked two different ATVs there...  The last one, really did a number on my shoulder..

Some of the hills I had to go down were so steep that even leaning back the back wheels started coming up a bit...

There is another member here Gunguy148, he has a really young boy (Id guess 8-9) that he takes MX rising there sometimes....  He may be able to comment better.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Trail 100 starting out counter clock wise should be fine to about 300. 300 and 200 should be ok also. The hills on 100 over at 400 and 500 can be a bit steep and blind. The last part of 100 over to the north west if starting clock wise is a really good spot for a beginner. I would maybe start there exploring all of those trails and then work around counter clock wise. On the sand be sure you are looking all directions before changing direction. Also be forewarned, this is an area where they used to mine lead. Be sure to be mindful of that aspect and wash hands and face off before eating. Be sure to spray off your gear at the cleaning stations before you leave. I am sure the lead levels are safe, but with children...better safe than sorry.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Watch out for the crazies who love riding full throttle at all times.
Trails can be easy or difficult depending on just which one you choose. Be wary of random holes around trees or whatever. More than a few wrecks happened because folk were driving faster than the ability to stop.
Many riders out there do drive faster than their reactions.
But it is a fun place to ride.
Be sure to mount your flag securely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top