Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2016 9:53:50 PM EDT

I need a smith to coerce a Storm Lake barrel to fit my MC Operator (suppressor is pending). I think there's a little interference between the grooves on top of the barrel where it interlocks with the slide (don't know the proper term) and the OD of the chamber seems to hit the top of the frame when the barrel unlocks. Also, the bushing that came with the barrel needs the tab slimmed down a bit. I can fit the barrel in with my stock bushing but the slide won't go back far enough to install the takedown pin/slide lock. I could try to force it, but that might really make it stuck or break something.

Is Otto still in business? He's got lots of fans on 1911forum, but google didn't show anything more recent than 2013. Helix gunsmithing and RedBrick were also mentioned. Anyone else I should consider? If Otto is still around I'll take it to him.

I've never had any 1911 work done, how much should this cost? I'd guess ~$125 - $150 depending on the place and how much coercing is required.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:53:02 AM EDT
[#1]
His FB page was updated last month.

https://www.facebook.com/ottocompstl/

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple reply:  yes.

Call or go by. Doc typically does his FB stuff
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used Otto (314) 638 3327 and Eric at Helix (314) 629 7605 on numerous occasions for my 1911's.  I would use Otto for the more complicated things knowing it's going to take longer to get the weapon back. That's not to say Eric couldn't do the work but when you have had more than 4 1911's worked on with great results I figured why change. Eric usually gets things back to you quickly if parts don't hold things up. Eric has worked on several of my handguns and rifles with great success and his pricing is more than fair for the work he has done. I think you would be fine with either one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top