Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2016 10:33:13 PM EDT
And here is the guy Ive got my eye on.  This deer has been frequenting one of my farms that I was actively trying to lease out.  I'm obviously going to be hunting it now.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice one!   Which county are you in?

GPS coordinates would be nice also.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I will be hitting the archery hunting, but my favorite is rifle season.

Unfortunately I have to work Saturday and Sunday for 14 hours each day collecting lymph node samples for CWD. (Yes I work for MDC).  Sucks because I look forward to rifle hunting every year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Hah. Lafayette county
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hah. Lafayette county
View Quote

If next year follows this year, if they find any in Carroll County, then Lafayette County will have mandatory sampling.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice one, go get him!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If next year follows this year, if they find any in Carroll County, then Lafayette County will have mandatory sampling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hah. Lafayette county

Honestly I had to google what CWD is.  I wasn't aware of it but it sounds like some pretty serious stuff that could put a big dent in a deer population.  Do you take samples from harvested deer/roadkill/etc?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Honestly I had to google what CWD is.  I wasn't aware of it but it sounds like some pretty serious stuff that could put a big dent in a deer population.  Do you take samples from harvested deer/roadkill/etc?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hah. Lafayette county

I don't personally, but the department does.  But for the first weekend of rifle season if a deer is taken in one of the cwd counties the hunter is required to go to one of the sampling locations so that a lymph node can be collected for testing.  It is going to require EVERYONE in the department to work at a sampling station both days of the opening weekend.  

It is going to suck big time.  I'm sure all the hunters are all going to be sooooooo happy about having to come and wait in a line and submit to a sampling.  We aren't even allowed to leave the sampling station for lunch or dinner, pretty much there from 7:30 am to al least 8:00 pm (and later if there are people waiting).  Yay!

Personally, I think it is going to be a soup sandwich.

ETA here is the counties in orange that have mandatory sampling.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't personally, but the department does.  But for the first weekend of rifle season if a deer is taken in one of the cwd counties the hunter is required to go to one of the sampling locations so that a lymph node can be collected for testing.  It is going to require EVERYONE in the department to work at a sampling station both days of the opening weekend.  

It is going to suck big time.  I'm sure all the hunters are all going to be sooooooo happy about having to come and wait in a line and submit to a sampling.  We aren't even allowed to leave the sampling station for lunch or dinner, pretty much there from 7:30 am to al least 8:00 pm (and later if there are people waiting).  Yay!

<a href="http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/thorshammerblow2/media/cwd_zpsbscfwzz3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af184/thorshammerblow2/cwd_zpsbscfwzz3.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hah. Lafayette county

<a href="http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/thorshammerblow2/media/cwd_zpsbscfwzz3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af184/thorshammerblow2/cwd_zpsbscfwzz3.jpg</a>

It will bring back check station memories.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Since we're talking deer hunting...

I'm having a heck of a time finding a place to hunt.  If anyone knows of a place in the Clay/Ray/Clinton/Caldwell areas I'd love to hear about it.

At this point I'd do public, but I've been told that MDC lands around here don't allow centerfire rifle(?)
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hah. Lafayette county

Yep, I sometimes miss the check station and hanging out a bit and looking at what everyone else bagged.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm having a heck of a time finding a place to hunt.  If anyone knows of a place in the Clay/Ray/Clinton/Caldwell areas I'd love to hear about it.

At this point I'd do public, but I've been told that MDC lands around here don't allow centerfire rifle(?)
View Quote

You were told right, no centerfire allowed. Public is a waste of time. You'd be better off staying home.

Good luck escouting!
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn I'm not in a sample zone yet... Thank the Lord!
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hah. Lafayette county
View Quote

High neighbor, just north of you in Richmond.  I shoot often at the Lafayette Gun Club in Higginsville.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure how much public land is hunted in Ray county.  I have seen deer on them.  Your best bet is if you know someone with land.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You were told right, no centerfire allowed. Public is a waste of time. You'd be better off staying home.

Good luck escouting!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck escouting!

That's what I have been doing and it royally blows.

When I lived down at the lake I'd deer & predator hunt on a conservation area, until I got a private place to hunt for the last 5 years I was down there.

I would bow hunt, but that takes a lot of scouting that you just can't do well on a public plot.

The only other option is driving all the way to Jefferson County to hunt my father's farm.

Its really frustrating because my son is wanting to get into hunting & we can't take advantage of the youth season without going all the way across the state.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

High neighbor, just north of you in Richmond.  I shoot often at the Lafayette Gun Club in Higginsville.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hah. Lafayette county

I'm just west of you in Excelsior Springs.  I too am a member of LRGC & can be found down there a couple times a month.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good luck escouting!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck escouting!

That is categorically wrong.  SOME conservation areas only allow certain means of hunting, but most are just normal deer season rules.  Check the atlas database for rules for each area.

Conservation Areas in the counties you listed that you can use centerfire rifles on are Hardin and Bonanza.

There are areas out there, again just go to the MDC atlas database.

ETA, that being said, public land is pretty crowded during deer rifle season.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is a link to the list of conservation areas that shows what is permitted when.  FYI it starts on page 40.  Use the map on page 2 in order to determine where your interested in hunting and then refer back the listed areas that start on page 40.  

Public Hunting Ground

I've had a couple buddies hunt Maple Leaf Lake (Kansas City Region) during rifle season the last couple years and they both said they hardly ever see anyone there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll be hunting just north of Odessa
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:15:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll be far from where the photo was captured of the deer posted above....at least 5 miles.  Haha
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

....at least 5 miles.  Haha
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

....at least 5 miles.  Haha

Our does are better looking He won't be able to resist that tail
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I see some nice bucks on my camera, the problem is that they are there only at night!  Only seen one during the day and my son just winged him a he got away.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't get up to those areas, but if you want to join up with me, I go to Henry County in Clinton where I hunt close to 10K acres. I've got a few good spots from years past, but haven't scouted this year to see what they look like. The Conservation likes to change things up from time to time, but we can sure look and see together before the big day(s). Centerfire is what I use.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't get up to those areas, but if you want to join up with me, I go to Henry County in Clinton where I hunt close to 10K acres. I've got a few good spots from years past, but haven't scouted this year to see what they look like. The Conservation likes to change things up from time to time, but we can sure look and see together before the big day(s). Centerfire is what I use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the Truman Reservoir Management Land that you hunt?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it is. Not paid attention to name. I go to 9-10 different places within 10 mile radius of Clinton. I really like hunting during the week as I'm usually alone and the deer have calmed down from the weekends. I do have some management plot maps around somewhere in my hunting kit, but Conservation Dept is in Clinton, so I usually stop in and get new maps each year, incase something changes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#28]
This should help get y'all ready.  Got my recurve kill back from the taxidermist recently.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Did I read that MO just made Crossbows legal for archery season for everyone?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Did I read that MO just made Crossbows legal for archery season for everyone?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This should help get y'all ready.  Got my recurve kill back from the taxidermist recently.

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/fireman_3311/media/2015%20deer/8A0104C6-7BF4-46FF-BE18-31F6D08D2966_zpshqjgbcxz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/fireman_3311/2015%20deer/8A0104C6-7BF4-46FF-BE18-31F6D08D2966_zpshqjgbcxz.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/fireman_3311/media/2015%20deer/D105F6B0-90E7-468F-8AB6-F75EF93A2E06_zps1bdwb7b6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/fireman_3311/2015%20deer/D105F6B0-90E7-468F-8AB6-F75EF93A2E06_zps1bdwb7b6.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very nice deer!
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Very nice deer!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/fireman_3311/media/2015%20deer/8A0104C6-7BF4-46FF-BE18-31F6D08D2966_zpshqjgbcxz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/fireman_3311/2015%20deer/8A0104C6-7BF4-46FF-BE18-31F6D08D2966_zpshqjgbcxz.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/fireman_3311/media/2015%20deer/D105F6B0-90E7-468F-8AB6-F75EF93A2E06_zps1bdwb7b6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/fireman_3311/2015%20deer/D105F6B0-90E7-468F-8AB6-F75EF93A2E06_zps1bdwb7b6.jpg</a>

Very nice deer!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Someone sent me this photo today and said this deer was killed down by Clinton yesterday.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Someone sent me this photo today and said this deer was killed down by Clinton yesterday.  

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b494/ontherox1930/Mobile%20Uploads/C2A13481-709B-4648-A76D-D92AD5613543_zps5iyvvsbw.jpg
View Quote

Got a feeling Bass Pro will be paying this hunter a visit.

Damn, what I would give to bag a trophy as this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I took my daughter out this morning.  We got to our stand at 5:30, sat until 10 and decided to leave after seeing nothing.  On the way out we pulled the cards from the cameras.  There were 4 bucks that come through from 4:54am - 4:58am this morning.  They were all trailing a doe that had came through at 4:51.  Two of the bucks were in the same picture.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#36]
The deer is HUGGGGGEEEE

Good Luck.!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I miss deer hunting in Missouri.
Right outside of Leasburg, Deer weren't great but it was private land and just a few close friends.
Heh, maybe someday with a non-resident permit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top