Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 6:56:26 PM EDT
Ok,

Six years ago I bought a Sterns & Foster Estate Plush Pillow Top Mattress.  It lasted about 4 years before it developed a sink hole.  S&F refuses to do anything, as the sink hole is 3/4" at rest, and they require 1.5" before calling it a defect.

6 weeks ago, I bought a Leesa foam mattress after reading about Leesa, Tuft & Needle, and seeing Casper ads on TV.  The Leesa was too damn hard and my sciatica really flared up.

It went back under their 100 day trial, and I bought a foam Helix, which was supposed to be customized to my back.  I told them I had upper back/shoulder, and lower back/hip issues, and needed something soft.  They even took my height and weight.  It, for the past 2 weeks, has been barely softer than the Leesa.  It is going back.

I hate mattress shopping... I would rather let three of you kick me in the nuts repeatedly.

So, I'm now looking at a Sleep Number bed.  I went to a store today and tried out the P5...  They did the heat map demo display, showing where I laid.  I verified it was real by rolling around, and sure enough, it was a live display.  They dropped the pressure on the bed until the coloration on the heat map was blue to barely yellow.  Number 40.

Holy shit was that comfortable.  She then had me roll on my side to verify that it was still comfortable, and by God it was.

So, I'm here to ask you guys if you've ever owned a Sleep Number bed, and if so, how did it hold up, and how long have you owned it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
My father in law has a sleep number bed, he's a big dude (6'7") and it has held up to him and his wife just fine. He had it 5 or 6 years.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The wife spent $89 on a queen-size memory foam mattress that was on clearance at Aldi. Lifetime warranty (30 years, according to the pamphlet).

Whole thing came rolled up in a little box. Took about a day to expand, and another day to lose the chemical smell.

It's been the best mattress I've ever had.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are in KC get a Hawn. They are awesome. Plus double sided so you can flip them if they start sinking.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Purchased a Sleep Number mattress and sleepIQ last night.  $2300 delivered.  100 night trial, if I don't like it, I only lose shipping each way.  ($75 to get it to me).

Turns out a buddy on Facebook that I went to H.S. with 25 yrs ago had the P5, and now has the baller i10 ($4500).  He said the first one was great, and gave it to the kids, and now has the i10 after liking the P5 so much.

Will report back.  I hate buying junk.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:08:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't do the foam. I have a foam topper I put on and it has done the same thing eric stated.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#7]
When we shopped, we tried a sleep number mattress and a tempur-pedic in the same store.  Love the Tempur-Pedic, but it is heavy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Have sleep number.  Had it for 15 years.   Just got one for my son.   like it a lot.   Price difference is how fancy you want the top of mattress and how fancy you want the remote.   You can add memory foam aftermarket a lot cheaper if you want.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have sleep number.  Had it for 15 years.   Just got one for my son.   like it a lot.   Price difference is how fancy you want the top of mattress and how fancy you want the remote.   You can add memory foam aftermarket a lot cheaper if you want.
View Quote

Yeah, I just got the invoice, and it's stating the P5 has a removeable memory foam topper.  WTF?  The next mattress down in price is $1k cheaper?  I dunno...  Going to run with it, and see if I'm as enthralled after two weeks as I was laying in the store.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Tempurpedic for me.    I have arthritis in my left shoulder.  Sleep was very painful at times.  The Tempurpedic is very comfortable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top