Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2016 6:37:58 PM EDT
Just moved here

I learned that, if it moves you tax the hell out of it.

In my town, its a 3.725% sales tax, but the county and the state .

Personal property tax WTF is this shit? I had it in CT but it is a blue state. Also, if I move on 2 Jan, I still owe taxes for the year.

Also, income tax is at what rate? I guess, if I get the over seas job, I am going to move yet again, back to FL or TX.

What bills and shit do I need to read up on for Nov.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel your pain.  Moved here 8 years ago.  Property taxes... meh... they're ok.  Then all of the sudden all of this other BS to add to your "personal property" tax.  

Insane.  The a-hole who came up with that should be horsewhipped.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:16:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What bills and shit do I need to read up on for Nov.
View Quote

You don't need to read up on them. If the question starts with *Shall a tax be levied/continued/increased...*, you vote no.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Oddly enough, I did a cost comparison between living in IL and moving to MO...

The difference in taxes based on a $50k income is less than $500/yr between the two states.

However, MO is a MUCH more free state to live in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I know for a fact that Louisiana is higher than MO on almost everything.  Parents have a place down there and they license everything up here due to cost difference
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Firstly, Welcome!

Secondly, where'd you come from and how did they pay for highway repairs, Park Rangers, etc?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just moved here

Firstly, Welcome!

Secondly, where'd you come from and how did they pay for highway repairs, Park Rangers, etc?

Thank you. I came from texas. Texas runs a tight ship and only meets once every two years to hash out laws and shit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I hope you don't work or live in the city limits of Kansas City or St. Louis.  They will steal an extra 1% of your wages as an "earnings tax."

I'm happy I moved out of KC.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I moved here in 2008.  Bought a new car and wasn't prepared to pay the sales tax to get it registered.  Back home the tax was collected by the dealer as part of the price.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Firstly, Welcome!

Secondly why does everybody think that the new state they move to does things like the old state they came from?

I hear people bitching well this isn't they way they do things in State X ! Well then keep your happy ass in State X  then!

Guess what? When I visit Texas I know that everywhere I go I am going to be ass raped on a statewide 8.75% sales tax. Why is is so high?  Cause you don't have any state income tax, but I know that going in.

Our taxes overall are WAY lower than most states, our income tax brackets top out at around 6% and our statewide sales tax is only 4.225% yes local sales taxes usually bump that up to around 7.5%.

Sales tax is collected at the DMV instead of the dealer, but you still pay it regardless on a new car purchase in most states. And yes we do have a "Personal Property Tax" but it is not set at the confiscatory levels of the blue states, and it goes almost exclusively to schools and comes up for a renewal vote every few years.

So in closing Welcome to Missouri, yes we may do things a little differently than you are used to, but we still have fairly low taxes overall.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for the welcome.

I think it is natural to compare new things to what a person is used to.  If that is considered bitching, so be it.  But if it upsets you so badly perhaps you should skip these posts.

Again, thank you for the welcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top