Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2016 6:24:37 PM EDT
A few months back, someone broke into my garage and stole a gun I kept in the car. Today, got some mail saying it's been recovered

However, before I can get it back, the PD wants a lot of documents from me, some of which I'm not sure how to obtain.

2- Bill of sale/receipt for the weapon: it was purchased online and shipped to a kitchen counter type FFL. He's no longer in business and I don't have his new contact... Not sure how to obtain the relevant paperwork anymore.

3- Release Letter from circuit attorney or city counselor's office: do I just call up the relevant office and ask for a letter...?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
yea, it's their way of getting guns off the street.
I think FFLs are required to keep records for a certain amount of time, but I'm not sure if that's right, or if it is, what that time is. I would think even if you closed your business, you couldn't burn your records.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
There is someone in the CAO who's job it is to send out those letters.  Doesn't do many, they often claim that the "investigation is ongoing," and try to make you wait until the statute of limitations runs.

You could file, or hire an attorney to file, a writ of replevin.  I have had people enquire about it.  I always ask how much the gun cost.  With one exception, the cost of a new gun is a fraction of the cost of hiring me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think FFLs are required to keep records for a certain amount of time, but I'm not sure if that's right, or if it is, what that time is. I would think even if you closed your business, you couldn't burn your records.
View Quote

FFL's turn the paperwork (443's/log book) over to ATFE when they give up their license.

OP, call the city attorney and have your police report.  Tell them you have no other paper work.  If they don't want to give it back then....you will have to take them to court.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The crime lab will have to do ballistics first and that will take forever.  I'm going through this now and I just got the call from Chesterfield PD that my gun is back from the lab.  It's been 20 months.  He said guns recovered by the City PD usually take even longer for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck in your quest.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Government at its finest lowest.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FFL's turn the paperwork (443's/log book) over to ATFE when they give up their license.

OP, call the city attorney and have your police report.  Tell them you have no other paper work.  If they don't want to give it back then....you will have to take them to court.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Call the ATF and get their assistance showing you were the last transferee.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck. They didn't return mine.
ETA; I found out one of mine had been recovered when the ATF called me to ask the disposition of it. Not a peep from anyone after I had informed them it had been stolen and even gave them the report number.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
welp... guess I'll get the ball rolling tomorrow, but I don't have high hopes...
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of gun was it?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What kind of gun was it?
View Quote

Taurus PT140 handgun. Pretty cheap IIRC, but would still be nice to get it back.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Taurus PT140 handgun. Pretty cheap IIRC, but would still be nice to get it back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of gun was it?

You probably won't see it for a long long time especially if it was used in a crime.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ETA; I found out one of mine had been recovered when the ATF called me to ask the disposition of it. Not a peep from anyone after I had informed them it had been stolen and even gave them the report number.
View Quote

You didn't call anybody back to follow up on it?  WTF.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Welp, got a call back from the circuit attorney's office, was told that 3-6 months is fairly standard wait time for the release letter... at least this wasn't my edc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Welp, got a call back from the circuit attorney's office, was told that 3-6 months is fairly standard wait time for the release letter... at least this wasn't my edc.
View Quote

Are you going to keep it when you get it back OR sell it?

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#17]
was planning on keeping it; any reason I shouldn't?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I did, multiple times.
Nobody knew anything.
Even had a StL officer here on arfcom look into it.
It's been a few years, you want to see if you can find out anything? I think i still have the police report.
Hell, the ATF knew who it belong to, they even got a copy of the police report. Apparently the StL PD didn't want to be bothered with following the law.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Good luck.

Mine was stolen in 09', recovered in 2010. Went to StL PD, they said it was with the Sheriff, called Sheriff they said it was at PD. Contacted PD and told them to fuck off.

Call from StC PD about 4 months ago, come pick up your gun.

Don't think I would have gotten it back if it wasn't transferred to the original PD that worked the theft.

The perp had already been sent to prison and was out before I got it back.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Member Kujoe is a fairly high ranking member of the SLPD. Might be worth an IM to see what suggestions he may be able to offer.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

No....was just wondering.

I think next session we should push to get this crap fixed.  

When a firearm is recovered and a match is found, the agency that recovers the firearm, shall attempt to contact the owner or owner's husband or wife, within 10 days of recovery.  No other information, besides the original police report and a driver license or ccw id, shall be required from the owner or owner's husband or wife, to retrieve the firearm from the agency.  The agency shall not retain or transfer to another agency or department the firearm(s).  The agency shall not charge or require a fee before handing over the firearm to the owner or owner's husband or wife.  The agency shall within 72 hrs, from the time contact is made with the owner or owner's husband or wife, have the firearm available for pickup.

How does this sound?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

When a firearm is recovered and a match is found, the agency that recovers the firearm, shall attempt to contact the owner or owner's husband or wife, within 10 days of recovery.  No other information, besides the original police report and a driver license or ccw id, shall be required from the owner or owner's husband or wife, to retrieve the firearm from the agency.  The agency shall not retain or transfer to another agency or department the firearm(s).  The agency shall not charge or require a fee before handing over the firearm to the owner or owner's husband or wife.  The agency shall within 72 hrs, from the time contact is made with the owner or owner's husband or wife, have the firearm available for pickup.

How does this sound?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How does this sound?

Sounds like a pipe dream. a delightful dream.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why limit it to just the owner and/or their spouse?  How about any non-estranged family member or domestic partner?

They're still likely to be dicks about it and toss the ammo and magazine and they surely aren't invested in keeping the gun's condition nice.

The "You need a receipt" parts blows majorly. I seriously doubt I have a receipt for the ones I did purchase from a licensed dealer let alone ones acquired from unlicensed folks.
View Quote

This would be a good addition in bold.  You are correct about them getting banged around....that is just life.  I wouldn't think you would want to open it up to "any" family member or partner.  A partner, has no vested interest in the property.  A Husband or wife, does.  The police should have to deal with as little as possible and not deal with other family members....but that is just my take.

If the owner - husband/wife, can't pick it up, then it should be melted down ..lol.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#25]
too much of a stretch to think I'm gonna get my spare mags back eh...?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:48:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Just thought I would pass this on... We live in STL County.  To STLCPD's credit... They did catch the five youts that did the chain of burglaries but they only got Probation
About 7 years ago, we were broken into and my brother's Desert Eagle .357 was stolen. Behold, 2 years later, STLMPD recovered it during a traffic stop in the city.
Felon with a stolen firearm, he went to jail. After the court process (about six months), STL City PD sent it to St. Louis County PD. STLCPD called us, said come get it.
I picked it up. STLCPD Detective just ran my DL and released it to me.
Apparently now... It's not that simple.
Good Luck NighHawkIX !
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Just thought I would pass this on... We live in STL County.  To STLCPD's credit... They did catch the five youts that did the chain of burglaries but they only got Probation

About 7 years ago, we were broken into and my brother's Desert Eagle .357 was stolen. Behold, 2 years later, STLMPD recovered it during a traffic stop in the city.

Felon with a stolen firearm, he went to jail. After the court process (about six months), STL City PD sent it to St. Louis County PD. STLCPD called us, said come get it.

I picked it up. STLCPD Detective just ran my DL and released it to me.

Apparently now... It's not that simple.

Good Luck NighHawkIX !
View Quote
County vs city.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Got my circuit attorney release letter yesterday. Filed it in with Stl PD, was told 4-6 more weeks on their end...
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does this sound?

Sounds like something our new AG will be chomping at the bit to pursue... Or not.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#31]
They kept mine.
Yeah, that is just how they roll there.

ETA;
Heh, already replied to this thread. Guess I really should look at the dates and stuff.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

They kept mine.  Yeah, that is just how they roll there.

ETA;  Heh, already replied to this thread. Guess I really should look at the dates and stuff.
View Quote

That's alright. Drop in anytime.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#33]
hah, mb for resurrecting a dead thread. Just keeping track of the time elapsed for my own records here...
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#34]
The Feds make it pretty easy to get them back. I got one returned from the DEA with one letter, and a friend got one back from the FBI with one letter requesting it be returned. When my 6906 was taken I had 3 12 round magazines, and 10 years later I got the gun back with 4 12 round and 1 15 round magazines. If you live close I would go in and talk with someone face to face and keep a record. It's harder for them to brush you off when your standing right in front of them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#35]
If there wasn't any evidence needed on the gun(blood, prints etc)  and we knew it was going to be in evidence for awhile we sprayed them down with ballistol to prevent rust. It was better than nothing.

Back in 1995 I recovered a stolen 870 and placed it in evidence. The PA said take good pics and return it to the owner. We had also seized the first meth lab I had seen in the wild. Apparently iodine crystals and blues Guns don't play well. One week and it looked like it had been on the Titanic. Owner was not pleased. Told the mayor and he took the guy to a gunstore in the next town and bought him a new 870. This was in a small SEnMo town though. Good luck with STMPD
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#36]
update: got it back yesterday. Dirty af with a bit of new wear, but still functioning.

They also gave me back the cartridges they recovered with it. 3 different types incl FMJ, and 2 different HP all found in the same mag. And I wondered why hood rats can't shoot...
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
update: got it back yesterday. Dirty af with a bit of new wear, but still functioning.

They also gave me back the cartridges they recovered with it. 3 different types incl FMJ, and 2 different HP all found in the same mag. And I wondered why hood rats can't shoot...
View Quote

This is EVERY gun from the hood. Surprised you had all the same type of caliber rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top