Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2016 10:29:20 PM EDT
Heading to East St. Louis for an event Friday.  Technically Collinsville IL.  Never been through there before.  Is the area pretty safe there?  Will my pickup still be there in the morning? .

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
What to avoid in East St. Louis.....easy......EAST ST LOUIS.  I see you're from Colorado, so I guess you're coming in on 70?  Take the new bridge across the river and you avoid East Saint altogether.  You'll be on I-55/70 until to get to Collinsville.

Collinsville isn't bad, but it's not perfect.  Ramone's Mexican restaurant is really good, as is Kruta's Bakery.......both have been there for many decades.  Code 3 BBQ Supply is downtown.  Not much else to suggest, except brag when you get home that you have been to the horseradish capital of the world AND the home of the world's largest catsup bottle (actually a water tower).
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#2]
no CCW over there....be safe.....make sure you really, really want to cross that bridge
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
There are signs along the highway near East St. Louis that say *no stopping*, and *don't pick up hitchhikers.*  There is a very good reason for that, and you should heed those warnings.

Compared to that, Collinsville is a major step up (even though it isn't very far away).
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ramone's Mexican restaurant is really good...
View Quote

Have you been there lately? I've never been, but I know someone who worked there. I have no idea if she still does, as I haven't been in touch with her or her husband in several years.  (Her name is Verna).
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:43:45 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have time about a half hour away is Fast Eddies in Alton,Il.
Take cash though if you go.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Have you been there lately? I've never been, but I know someone who worked there. I have no idea if she still does, as I haven't been in touch with her or her husband in several years.  (Her name is Verna).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ramone's Mexican restaurant is really good...

No, not in 10+ years.  The owner just dies about 6 months ago.  He was a hell of a guy and had the American dream story.  He borrowed $5 to buy groceries in the 50s, made tacos, they sold the leftovers at the bar next door.  He started filling his trunk with Mexican food in steam trays and selling it bars around Collinsville.  He would always feed or take in anyone at the restaurant.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Collinsville isn't ESTL.  It by no means is great, but it isn't the same.  I go to investigative meetings once a month in Collinsville and other than being in IL, its not that big of a deal.  

When I go to ESTL (did two days ago for an active investigation), well that's a whole different chimichanga.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Collinsville is home to one of the regional Highway Patrol headquarters. Watch your speeds on the interstates.
Ramone's is decent. Fast Eddies is overrated and not worth the extra time to go there IMHO.
Edwardsville, IL is closer and has many decent restaurants.
If you stay on the interstate you won't have any issues with East St. Louis.
Avoid the temptation to go to the Brooklyn or Washington Park strip clubs. Rough neighborhoods with almost no law enforcement.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Collinsville is ok.
East St. Louis is hell on earth. Keep out unless you really have to see the seediest titty bars around. Nothing good comes from E. StL.
Fast Eddies in Alton is good, Back in StL there are some good places to visit like the Busch Brewery, StL Zoon, Science Center (esp for kids) Grants farm and a few more.
Stay the hell out of all of the EStl, Brooklyn, Granite City etc. Double damn be sure to stay out of North StL, home of the Ferguson riots.
West county StL is good and most of S StL county  too. Downtown StL is ok just be out by dark.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#12]
You'd be better off to stay in Fairview Heights, IL, which is Exit 12 on I-64.  There are several nice hotels along the interstate, along with every restaurant you can imagine, from fast food to fine dining.  Not to mention the St. Clair Square Mall.

Collinsville is about 10 minutes up Hwy 159 (Exit 12).
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
If you haven't figured it out yet.... DON'T GO THERE!  
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Worked in FVH (Fairview Heights) for several years and it isn't bad.  Attended those same "lawn-mower" meetings in Collinsville ISP HQ.  

Listen-don't go to ESTL.  I always thought that Washington Park (which is immediately adjacent) is even worse.

Heed what all these other fellas tell you.  Mean, mean streets.  

If you do-keep your head on a MFN swivel.  

Collinsville wont be bad. Wasn't when I ventured there.

HEAR ME-go to Bully's Restaurant in Edwardsville or Columbia and get the pork steak.  After you do, log onto ARFCOM and this thread and say, "Thank you MidwestJ, you're a good bro".

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:26:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What to avoid in East St. Louis.....easy......EAST ST LOUIS.
View Quote

I came here to post this, but obviously someone beat me to it
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you haven't figured it out yet.... DON'T GO THERE!  
View Quote

What he said.  Roll 'em and lock'em.   Do not stop
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks everybody made it here safe and sound.  Never listened to the GPS so closely going through ST. Louis in my life.   I could see some really nice homes in west St Louis from the Interstate. The white suspension bridge was pretty cool.  Nothing like that in CO for sure.

Man there is some pretty places here in Missouri.  Love the corn and soy bean fields surrounded by all the trees.  The fall color must be spectacular.

May have to return and check out the Katy Trail state park.  That looks pretty cool.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

THIS ^^^

Ever watched the movie "Escape From New York"?

In the credits it states "Filmed on location in East St. Louis".

Visualize the worst shithole you can imagine, then multiply it by 100 and you MIGHT be close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS ^^^

Visualize the worst shithole you can imagine, then multiply it by 100 and you MIGHT be close.

I envisioned National Lampoons Vacation, when Clark got lost down there in the Family Truckster.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:38:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks everybody made it here safe and sound.  Never listened to the GPS so closely going through ST. Louis in my life.   I could see some really nice homes in west St Louis from the Interstate. The white suspension bridge was pretty cool.  Nothing like that in CO for sure.

Man there is some pretty places here in Missouri.  Love the corn and soy bean fields surrounded by all the trees.  The fall color must be spectacular.

May have to return and check out the Katy Trail state park.  That looks pretty cool.

Thanks again!
View Quote

I live on the edge of it in Columbia, MO.  Great trail.  The fall is awesome as well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

THIS ^^^

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS ^^^

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Katy trail is great, well worth the visit.
Try to visit in an area that has all the kewl trail amenities like creeks, cliffs and trailside bars ;)
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep, stopping and even going there.
They also like to take man hole covers off so your car falls in and you stop.
If a train comes, just stay in motion in a different direction.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What to avoid in East St. Louis.....easy......EAST ST LOUIS.  I see you're from Colorado, so I guess you're coming in on 70?  Take the new bridge across the river and you avoid East Saint altogether.  You'll be on I-55/70 until to get to Collinsville.

Collinsville isn't bad, but it's not perfect.  Ramone's Mexican restaurant is really good, as is Kruta's Bakery.......both have been there for many decades.  Code 3 BBQ Supply is downtown.  Not much else to suggest, except brag when you get home that you have been to the horseradish capital of the world AND the home of the world's largest catsup bottle (actually a water tower).
View Quote

This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top