Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2016 4:45:16 PM EDT
I've been thinking about purchasing some land for hunting, and I was wondering who you guys have used for a loan?  My understanding is that most traditional mortgage lenders don't lend for land without a dwelling.

Thanks

Batten
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about purchasing some land for hunting, and I was wondering who you guys have used for a loan?  My understanding is that most traditional mortgage lenders don't lend for land without a dwelling.

Thanks

Batten
View Quote

I've used local (smaller) banks.  Typically you have to have a down payment of 20% or put up some kind of collateral that would equal the 20%.  If you are a farmer or have some experience farming and plan on using the land for some sort of Ag. then your local USDA office might be able to assist you with a no money down low interest loan.  There are certain requirements that must be met in order to qualify but if you fall within their guidelines then this is the far better option.

ETA : I have been considering leasing the hunting rights on one of my farms out if you think you might be interested in that.  It's 104 acres with about 30 acres of timber.  Lots of deer and turkey.  There wasn't one day last year during deer season that I didn't see at least one of each when I hunted it.  Geese were also landing in the fields there a few times a week for several weeks.  The property is located in Lafayette County.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are near St Louis, I know that First Community Credit Union does land loans, that is who we used for ours. We had to put 25% down.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I think Bank of Washington is another one that loans money for land.

You might consider a HELOC or cash out refi on your current house to finance it if you have enough equity.  I use my HELOC fund flip houses (my lender is actually the one that suggested it.)
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Farm Credit Services is a good lender to use for just land.  They have always had the best rates for just land.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I would also check with the small local banks in the adjoining towns of whichever piece of property you are considering.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Farm Credit Services is a good lender to use for just land.  They have always had the best rates for just land.
View Quote

Yep, these are the big guys in N/W MO. They take collateral as money down if you want to go that route. Also don't seem to care if you are buying for recreation only.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I used Regional Missouri Bank in Marceline and had to put 25% down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top