Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2016 6:59:07 PM EDT
Anyone know if the Hazlewood store is shutting down, or did I miss the panic buy/sell off for spring stuff?

Looks mighty empty...

And why did I have to show my ID to buy ammo???? Never been asked for it before...
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of a shutdown. I was there last Sunday and it was slammed around noon, bought .308 without having to show ID. Do you look young? Handgun ammo requires you to be 21, rifle 18, could have been checking for that reason.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope they don't close, I prefer them over Bass Pro and Gouger Mountain...

Maybe getting ready for the season switch..
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Anyone know if the Hazlewood store is shutting down, or did I miss the panic buy/sell off for spring stuff?

Looks mighty empty...

And why did I have to show my ID to buy ammo???? Never been asked for it before...
View Quote
Federal law for pistol ammo is you must be over 21 if buying from a FFL.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Lady I work with said she heard they were closing it. Don't know where she heard it or how valid the claim is but she mentioned it a couple of months ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never heard of a shutdown. I was there last Sunday and it was slammed around noon, bought .308 without having to show ID. Do you look young? Handgun ammo requires you to be 21, rifle 18, could have been checking for that reason.
View Quote

Erm...depends what you compare you to i guess... Grey beard, Im thinking not though
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#6]
This has been a couple years, and things can change fast, but one of the employees told me the Hazelwood location was on top for sales, despite it being one of the smallest (Sqft) stores. Not sure, if it was sales dollars, profit, per Sqft, etc.

It's usually busy when I visit, but the checkout lines are not. I've wondered if they finally sped up their checkout process (it always been miserable) or if people are just there killing time and not making actual purchases. Far from scientific, just something I've noticed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The rest of that mall is empty, or was last time I ventured out of Cabela's, wouldn't be suprised. I wish they would move it to south county.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The rest of that mall is empty, or was last time I ventured out of Cabela's, wouldn't be suprised. I wish they would move it to south county.
View Quote
I'm ok with that...

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Who bought whom?  I can't recall if Bass Pro bought Cabela's or the other way around.  Could be that.

ETA:

Bass Pro Buys Cabelas?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who bought whom?  I can't recall if Bass Pro bought Cabela's or the other way around.  Could be that.

ETA:

Bass Pro Buys Cabelas?
View Quote

Thoght that was all still rumours...

http://nypost.com/2016/03/24/cabelas-hunts-for-potential-buyer-in-bass-pro-shops/
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm ok with that...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm ok with that...

Not if you live in one of the counties north of St. Charles.  Its still a long drive to Hazlewood for me.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not if you live in one of the counties north of St. Charles.  Its still a long drive to Hazlewood for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm ok with that...

I don't I just moved to Fredericktown, Just below Farmington...  Either way, its hour and 45 at best, usually more...

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Bass Pro Buys Cabelas?

Thoght that was all still rumours...

http://nypost.com/2016/03/24/cabelas-hunts-for-potential-buyer-in-bass-pro-shops/

Could be.  I'm not monitoring it all that closely.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I also heard or read somewhere that Cabela's  (Hazelwood) was going to move...I was thinking west...once again, I have no concrete knowledge of this.

My biggest gripe with Cabela's is they move stuff around too much.  I like Bass Pro for the fact that everything is in  the same place every time.  Just my personal preference...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#15]
There was an article in this morning's STL Business Journal about bass pros bid to buy cabelas.

Edit:  http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/morning_call/2016/04/bass-pro-partnering-with-goldman-sachs-on-bid-for.html

F that store & Cabela's.  They sold us out by taking the anti-gun city of hazelwoods money to build it......in a posted no ccw mall, with a police chief that threaded to confiscate any handgun that you didn't have proof of ownership for, and all paid for with a 2% tax on guns and ammo sales in that district.  I didn't see a special tax on shoes at that mall.  It took a statewide statute to strike that bs tax down.  Yeah, sour grapes, but cabelas is the one that took the money and sold us out for it.  Screw them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I.D. is because some under age member of the rich & vibrant community complained that he was carded but the 100 yo white guy in front of him wasn't.
Solution from management was everyone gets carded now. Period.
According to the boss the Plan for now is the store stays open where it is. Even if the rest of the mall collapsed.
Asking regular employees about a buyout, or even moving the store really, is a waste of time.
Management won't tell us anything regarding any roumers for fear of folks fleeing a sinking ship.
John Q public will probably know before we do.
Yes we were in the top 5 stores for sales in the country last year despite the locations size.
Come enjoy it while you can, we honestly don't know if we're going to show up to locked doors or not.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I.D. is because some under age member of the rich & vibrant community complained that he was carded but the 100 yo white guy in front of him wasn't.

According to the boss the Plan for now is the store stays open where it is. Even if the rest of the mall collapsed.

Asking regular employees about a buyout, or even moving the store really, is a waste of time.

Management won't tell us anything regarding any roumers for fear of folks fleeing a sinking ship.

John Q public will probably know before we do.

Yes we were in the top 5 stores for sales in the country last year despite the locations size.

Come enjoy it while you can, we honestly don't know if we're going to show up to locked doors or not.
View Quote

I know exactly what you mean...  

Years ago, I worked for Computer City (like a Best Buy or more like a MicroCenter) as a ""Sales Engineer"...   1st I read in monthly Computer trade magazine that Computer city had cut a bunch of positions including the Sales Engineer pos...  I was in really good with all the managers and they somehow managed to change my title and even give me a bit of a raise..

Then a few years later, I heard on Tech TV or whatever it was that we'd sold to (now defunct) Compusa...  A few months of that and I had to bail...

Anyway, I wish you and the store the best of luck, I much prefer Cabelas over B.P. or Gouger Mountain...

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was there on the 10th of this month, bought 3 boxes of ammo, never was asked for an I.D., never showed an I.D., paid and walked out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was there on the 10th of this month, bought 3 boxes of ammo, never was asked for an I.D., never showed an I.D., paid and walked out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you look like an old fart?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#20]
35, that day was clean a clean shave as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know exactly what day it happened on but it was pretty recent, The last week or so.
Besides, where have you ever worked that every single employee actually does their job?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was there a week or so ago and bought about 10 boxes of various caliber ammo, plus an arm load of reloading goodies..  No ID or D/L needed...  Unless I was buying in Illinois I've never needed to show any for of ID..

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:49:11 AM EDT
[#23]
The Mills was a doomed idea right from the start. I haven't been there is a few years, but it was already on the decay. Most of the stores were replaced with the off-brand ethnic stores. I hear they are closing everything down this year. Cabelas included.

I do hope they re-locate, because they're still a lot better than Gander, Bass & Dicks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Combination of distance to travel and Hazelwood's "you got to be kidding me" tax rate it was never going to last.  They had delusions of Chesterfield...which it wasn't.  Not that I'm a big fan of that place either.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Whole area is a slum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top