Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 9:38:27 PM EDT
I'm in the STL area but not opposed to driving. I'm interested in testing my BOB to the fullest and doing some 1 man type wilderness adventure with my BOB. What would be some good places within a reasonable (3 hour or less) driving distance from the STL area to go where I could get some good views, hike, camp, and get lost for a weekend?

Also, any one know of any groups that get together and do this sort of thing?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm in the STL area but not opposed to driving. I'm interested in testing my BOB to the fullest and doing some 1 man type wilderness adventure with my BOB. What would be some good places within a reasonable (3 hour or less) driving distance from the STL area to go where I could get some good views, hike, camp, and get lost for a weekend?

View Quote

My backyard oh you said good views... how do you like trashy people?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

I spent many days of my youth wandering around Rockpile Wilderness and Bell Mtn Wilderness in MTNF.  The trails in both areas are pretty well developed.

Google the Ozark trail.  They've got segments as small as a couple of miles that you can hike.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LOL!  He could try out the "Grey Man" theory!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm taking the wife on an overnight hike to bell mountain, in belleview mo.  It's about an hour and 20 minutes south of St. Louis . I'm using it as a chance to try out my gear.  I think it's a 12 mile loop and we are going to camp around the top of the mountain, some nice views from the pictures at least
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
There is National Forest down past Farmington-Ste. Genevieve area...you can camp and walk the old logging roads...etc.  Plus, you can hit a winery or 2 out that way also
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its also kind of a zoo... come to north county, experience half naked fat men (that are registered sex offenders!)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]
if you ever need anyone to go with, let me know, i've gotten into it lately.

Girlfriend and I just went to Indiana (3.5hours away) last weekend for a camp out and hike (i'll toss some pics up later).  It was absolutely beautiful out there, we went to the Cagel Mills Lake area
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:03:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if you ever need anyone to go with, let me know, i've gotten into it lately
View Quote

Same. Im from STL area as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome thanks everyone for the replies. I wouldn't mind getting a trip together but with winter right around the corner and the 1st little one is due October 4th.

I also have hog hunting in Oklahoma with my Dad planned first full weekend in November

+ Deer Season in Illinois

so not sure how much I want to piss the wife off being gone another weekend and in her condition she can't really come lol

Reaperatm and Big-Boy would you want to get together for a meet and greet somewhere central to all of us just to discuss Guns/Hiking/BOB/etc? I'm in Ofallon but Westport area is usually pretty central of a location. Any of the others that are interested just let me know. PM Me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Been testing some of my gear out lately and would be interested in getting together with a small group, of course I am on the other side of the state...lol

Bill
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Been testing some of my gear out lately and would be interested in getting together with a small group, of course I am on the other side of the state...lol

Bill
View Quote

Yeah, my kid wants to do some overnight backpacking, but there isn't much available on the left side of the state.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I went down to Elephant rocks State Park this past weekend. Its not really a get away from it type of place because there were so many people there, but The Taum Sauk section of the ozark trail is supposed to be good.

Also where are you talking about hogs in OK? Look up the Wichita Mountains.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hit up Buford Mountain and log the Geocache thats up there for me....  I'd love to go it, but my knees won't make it...

http://alltrails.com/trail/us/missouri/buford-mountain-state-forest-trail

Its less than a 2 hour drive and you can stop in Cedar Fall Tactical, (now in Desloge) one of the best full service Fun shops in the area...

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Just remember, "He got a real pretty mouth ain't he?"

Have a good trip.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Mark Twain Nt'l Forest is conveniently located mid-state. I was planning to take a few days back in the woods there last summer until my job went away and I needed the hours more than the camping.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I would be up for a group hike sometime.

I hate to advertise it too much, but Paddy Creek Wilderness is probably the best hiking, and most beautiful area in the entire state. Very low use excepting a few weekends a year.

The Irish Wilderness is a close second. Wonderful area. Both have clear water, caves, great camping and peace and quiet. They are both foot or pack animal only too.

Both also are a fun 3 day 2 night backpacking trip. They can both be done in two, but three gives you time to fuck off, cook and maybe drink a little booze at night and coffee in the morning.

I have pretty extensive knowledge of both so if you are looking for detailed information on which route to take and/or water needs, etc. just ask.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Mark Twain National Forest, any part of it pretty much.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Reaperatm and Big-Boy would you want to get together for a meet and greet somewhere central to all of us just to discuss Guns/Hiking/BOB/etc? I'm in Ofallon but Westport area is usually pretty central of a location. Any of the others that are interested just let me know. PM Me.
View Quote

I'd be game as long as the place we patronage serves beer.

Still up for backpacking with anyone as well
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd definitely be up for a group backpacking trip. I got all the kit last year before plans changed and never really got a chance to wring it out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Awesome thanks everyone for the replies. I wouldn't mind getting a trip together but with winter right around the corner and the 1st little one is due October 4th.

I also have hog hunting in Oklahoma with my Dad planned first full weekend in November

+ Deer Season in Illinois

so not sure how much I want to piss the wife off being gone another weekend and in her condition she can't really come lol

View Quote

yeah this sounds great to me, shooting you guys a pm now
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hate to advertise it too much, but Paddy Creek Wilderness is probably the best hiking, and most beautiful area in the entire state. Very low use excepting a few weekends a year.
View Quote

It's the nicest area I've seen in the state, but I haven't yet been to many of the popular spots like Bell Mtn. or Taum Sauk
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Heading to Bell Mtn this weekend for a Boy Scout shakedown hike in preparation for a small group going to Philmont in October.
Trying to get my son's Troop to embrace more of a "carry it yourself" approach instead of relying on the Troop trailer for EVERYTHING.

I would be doing much more hiking/backpacking as opposed to dragging the gear hauler and taking hours to setup and takedown like I am now.

Look forward to the days when all my kids and the Scouts can bring their own.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Anybody else want to meetup with ReaperATM and bigboy and I around the Westport area? PM Me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ozark trail, the trailhead is only an hour o r so out 44 in leasburg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top