Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 8:17:15 PM EDT
I've posted in Team and GD a few times over the years that my little brother was in prison. He got out last Friday, and to my amazement is in a sober living house, and has a job he's been working at all week. The job is at a restaurant on the Plaza, and the house is around 23rd and Prospect.

He's working a 4-midnight shift, and with no car, and buses not running that late, he's left to walk home, or see if he can get a ride from a coworker. He called me to find out what he can legally carry for self defense as a felon.

My brief reading of MO knife laws seems like he doesn't have many options beside a folder under 4". Anyone with any suggestions, they're much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Spray?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spray?
View Quote

Not going to lie, when I think self defense weapon, I never even thought of non lethal options he might be allowed to carry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not going to lie, when I think self defense weapon, I never even thought of non lethal options he might be allowed to carry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spray?

If it comes down to it, "This felon stabbed me" isn't going to sound as good to twelve as "This felon sprayed me and ran".
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If it comes down to it, "This felon stabbed me" isn't going to sound as good to twelve as "This felon sprayed me and ran".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spray?

That actually makes a lot of sense.

However, in the area he has to traverse, it's more likely it would be a felon on felon confrontation. The felon with the illegal gun vs the felon in a sober living house.

Felon with a legal weapon, vs felon with illegal weapon basically.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
What about a koga impact weapon?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What about a koga impact weapon?
View Quote

Sounds like a martial arts tool that requires training.

My bro is like me, grew up with knives and guns, so a knife is his preferred option now that he can't have guns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=58039

Last I checked, blackpowder guns weren't considered "firearms" even with regards to felons.

Or do I owe the man an apology?
View Quote

I believe you are correct.

Not sure how KC feels about it though, I know in Texas with no handgun OC, you can OC a blackpowder hangdun all day legally.

My little brother is a felon, so he doesn't want to touch any gray areas, cut and dry, is it legal or not.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate all the responses so far. I'm logging out for a bit to watch a movie on Netflix.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]
If I'm reading the law correct, when I do come down to visit him, I cannot conceal a fixed blade, but a Glock IWB, and my Shield on my ankle is good to go?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spray?

That is exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd look for some bear spray and get a fanny pack.
Also tell him to hit the weights. Dont look like an easy score and folks will probably leave him alone.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Also tell him to hit the weights. Dont look like an easy score and folks will probably leave him alone.
View Quote

Dude looks like a lineman. All he did while he was in is lift.

Kind of crazy to look at him now, because his pictures when he went in, he was a scrawny little junkie. Definitely doesn't look like an easy target.

I'm just glad he's making sure he's doing everything legal now. I'm real surprised that he went into a rehab home getting out, and already has a job, and has perfect attendance. Even though it's only been a week, him having perfect attendance at a job even in that short of time is amazing. Especially since he has no car now, and has to take the bus most of the time.

I'll let him know some bear spray is going to be his best bet. Thanks everyone for the responses, and when I'm down there sometime, I'll see which of y'all crazy bastards wants to meet up at the Peanut.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I'm reading the law correct, when I do come down to visit him, I cannot conceal a fixed blade, but a Glock IWB, and my Shield on my ankle is good to go?

View Quote

Under state law you are gtg with all three.  However, knives are bot preempted so local jurisdiction ordinances should be followed.  Silly but that is how it is for now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Under state law you are gtg with all three.  However, knives are bot preempted so local jurisdiction ordinances should be followed.  Silly but that is how it is for now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Off to google KC, MO's rules on fixed blades.

My ZT0121 or ESEE Izula 2 are the 2 fixed blades I carry daily, depending on what I'm wearing dictates which knife I carry.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#16]
J
Quoted:

Kind of crazy to look at him now, because his pictures when he went in, he was a scrawny little junkie. Definitely doesn't look like an easy target.

I'm just glad he's making sure he's doing everything legal now. I'm real surprised that he went into a rehab home getting out, and already has a job, and has perfect attendance. Even though it's only been a week, him having perfect attendance at a job even in that short of time is amazing. Especially since he has no car now, and has to take the bus most of the time.

I'll let him know some bear spray is going to be his best bet. Thanks everyone for the responses, and when I'm down there sometime, I'll see which of y'all crazy bastards wants to meet up at the Peanut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peanut on Main?....... What day, maybe.....?  I need their blue cheese dressing recipe....wings, blt, taco salad, Reuben ......it's all delicious
Main location has limited menu..... Proverbial hole on the wall
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
J

Peanut on Main?....... What day, maybe.....?  I need their blue cheese dressing recipe....wings, blt, taco salad, Reuben ......it's all delicious
View All Quotes
Quoted:
J
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know they have one in OP now, but when I say the Peanut, you obviously know what I mean.

Not sure when I'll be heading down that way. But I'll make sure to post a thread here when I am coming down.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]
There are 2 in OP, downtown and at 127th and metcalf
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are 2 in OP, downtown and at 127th and metcalf
View Quote

I only know the one on Metcalf. Me and my buddy always hit that one up after golfing at the Sykes course. I lived off Antioch, he was off Nall, so a nice in between spot. Doesn't compare to the original though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#20]
The original one is the best....downtown OP location is a fancier place.... Just as good though
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#21]
How are all the new indoor ranges in OP?

I moved to Iowa while OMB's range was still under construction, but the retail part was open. Seemed like good folks.

Is the Bullet Hole still up, and is that bald fucker with a bad attitude still working there?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I moved to Iowa while OMB's range was still under construction, but the retail part was open. Seemed like good folks.

Is the Bullet Hole still up, and is that bald fucker with a bad attitude still working there?
View Quote

Scoot across the state line to Frontier Justice in Lee's Summit. Beautiful facility.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Scoot across the state line to Frontier Justice in Lee's Summit. Beautiful facility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullet Hole was a shithole, but when I lived down there, it was all we had.

Isn't KAC based out of Lee's Summit? Do they have a retail front, or just manufacture and mail order?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bullet Hole was a shithole, but when I lived down there, it was all we had.

Isn't KAC based out of Lee's Summit? Do they have a retail front, or just manufacture and mail order?
View Quote

KAC - Knight's? Don't think so.

GA Precision is up in the northlands, don't think they have a real storefront.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm going to recommend a high quality pepper spray paired with a high lumen (500+) flashlight. It's what I use when I walk my dog at night, I've successfully used the light to disorient aggressive dogs. He could also look into a hardwood walking stick/ staff, though I'm not sure of the legality of them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Pepper spray and bright flashlight.  Also, one of those high decibel pocket alarms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top