Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2015 2:59:15 PM EDT
As I am sure you all know Missouri doesn't have a strong handgun state preemption law on the books, which allows all these individual cities, towns, etc. to make their own rules regarding handguns... which in turn creates an almost impossible minefield of laws to navigate through.  Our recent updates to our fun laws have helped... but it hasn't cured the problem.

I have been bending the ear of my local state rep and I think I have her willing to get a bill into committee to get us a preemption law... basically I gave her Wisconsin's law and told her to model it after it as it is probably the best there is in the country.

Nixon of course would veto the shit out of it being the anti-gun piece of shit he is ... but that hasn't been much of an issue with other pro-gun laws here lately as the legislature routinely tells him to go eat a bag of dicks.

I will try to keep some updates coming as I keep a fire lit under her ass.

For those interested here is Wisconsin's law.

66.0409  Local regulation of firearms.

(1) In this section:

(a) "Firearm" has the meaning given in s. 167.31 (1) (c).

(b) "Political subdivision" means a city, village, town or county.

(c) "Sport shooting range" means an area designed and operated for the practice of weapons used in hunting, skeet shooting and similar sport shooting.

(2) Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.

(3)

(a) Nothing in this section prohibits a county from imposing a sales tax or use tax under subch. V of ch. 77 on any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, sold in the county.

(b) Nothing in this section prohibits a city, village or town that is authorized to exercise village powers under s. 60.22 (3) from enacting an ordinance or adopting a resolution that restricts the discharge of a firearm. Any ordinance or resolution that restricts the discharge of a firearm does not apply and may not be enforced if the actor's conduct is justified or, had it been subject to a criminal penalty, would have been subject to a defense described in s. 939.45.

(4)

(a) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from continuing to enforce an ordinance or resolution that is in effect on November 18, 1995, and that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, if the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.

(am) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from continuing to enforce until November 30, 1998, an ordinance or resolution that is in effect on November 18, 1995, and that requires a waiting period of not more than 7 days for the purchase of a handgun.

(b) If a political subdivision has in effect on November 17, 1995, an ordinance or resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, and the ordinance or resolution is not the same as or similar to a state statute, the ordinance or resolution shall have no legal effect and the political subdivision may not enforce the ordinance or resolution on or after November 18, 1995.

(c) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from enacting and enforcing a zoning ordinance that regulates the new construction of a sport shooting range or when the expansion of an existing sport shooting range would impact public health and safety.

(5) A county ordinance that is enacted or a county resolution that is adopted by a county under sub. (2) or a county ordinance or resolution that remains in effect under sub. (4) (a) or (am) applies only in those towns in the county that have not enacted an ordinance or adopted a resolution under sub. (2) or that continue to enforce an ordinance or resolution under sub. (4) (a) or (am), except that this subsection does not apply to a sales or use tax that is imposed under subch. V of ch. 77.

(6) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the person apply, no person may be in violation of, or be charged with a violation of, an ordinance of a political subdivision relating to disorderly conduct or other inappropriate behavior for loading, carrying, or going armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed or openly carried. Any ordinance in violation of this subsection does not apply and may not be enforced.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
AWESOME!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Uhhh....I was certain we do have a preemption law, and that it applied to everything except open carry (which may have since been changed to include that as well).

EDIT: Yes, just checked and we do have a preemption law already on the books. It covers everything including open carry WITHOUT a CCW. In other words, if you have a CCW, you can open carry anywhere you can CCW. If you do not have a CCW you can open carry anywhere unless prohibited by local law. That appears to be the only exception to Missouri's preemption law - open carry WITHOUT a CCW.

Click

View Quote

You are exactly correct with one exception... the whole damn thing excludes handguns.  Yes the new law allowed open carry with a CCW, however locals can still set up laws that allow people to be charged with stuff like disorderly conduct for open carrying... the law we have isn't good enough... it needs to be stronger.  It needs to just read FIREARMS and not make a carve out for handguns, it also needs to prevent some local police chief that thinks he is God's gift to law enforcement from charging someone with "disorderly conduct" just because he don't like the fact that Mr and Mrs Citizen have rights... BTW, I live in one of those communities and is the main reason I am trying to push this.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You are exactly correct with one exception... the whole damn thing excludes handguns.  Yes the new law allowed open carry with a CCW, however locals can still set up laws that allow people to be charged with stuff like disorderly conduct for open carrying... the law we have isn't good enough... it needs to be stronger.  It needs to just read FIREARMS and not make a carve out for handguns, it also needs to prevent some local police chief that thinks he is God's gift to law enforcement from charging someone with "disorderly conduct" just because he don't like the fact that Mr and Mrs Citizen have rights... BTW, I live in one of those communities and is the main reason I am trying to push this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhhh....I was certain we do have a preemption law, and that it applied to everything except open carry (which may have since been changed to include that as well).

EDIT: Yes, just checked and we do have a preemption law already on the books. It covers everything including open carry WITHOUT a CCW. In other words, if you have a CCW, you can open carry anywhere you can CCW. If you do not have a CCW you can open carry anywhere unless prohibited by local law. That appears to be the only exception to Missouri's preemption law - open carry WITHOUT a CCW.

Click

"excludes handguns" ?  What are you talking about?  I have to say that I disagree with your assessment and interpretation of what is on the books currently.

ETA: Your example legislation seems to allow for special taxes on firearms and components over and above sales tax.  That is currently prohibited.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click

Ours could be changed a little...but it doesn't need to be the shit you have pasted above.  I'll post what should be changed and why later.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I just had a former CCW student contact me about an ordinance his city just passed banning ANY loaded guns within city limits. I LOLed and told him to carry as normal, and to sue the crap out of the city if arrested or cited (I also explained that I am not a lawyer, CYA). Our preemption is fairly straight forward.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just had a former CCW student contact me about an ordinance his city just passed banning ANY loaded guns within city limits. I LOLed and told him to carry as normal, and to sue the crap out of the city if arrested or cited (I also explained that I am not a lawyer, CYA). Our preemption is fairly straight forward.
View Quote

EXACTLY!

This city of his would benefit from a pro gun demonstration.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is the full text and what should be stricken out of the current law:

Firearms legislation preemption by general assembly, exceptions--limitation on civil recovery against firearms or ammunitions manufacturers, when, exception.

21.750. 1. The general assembly hereby occupies and preempts the entire field of legislation touching in any way firearms, components, ammunition and supplies to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by any political subdivision of this state. Any existing or future orders, ordinances or regulations in this field are hereby and shall be null and void except as provided in subsection 3 of this section.

2. No county, city, town, village, municipality, or other political subdivision of this state shall adopt any order, ordinance or regulation concerning in any way the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permit, registration, taxation other than sales and compensating use taxes or other controls on firearms, components, ammunition, and supplies except as provided in subsection 3 of this section.

3. (1) Except as provided in subdivision (2) of this subsection, nothing contained in this section shall prohibit any ordinance of any political subdivision which conforms exactly with any of the provisions of sections 571.010 to 571.070, with appropriate penalty provisions, or which regulates the open carrying of firearms readily capable of lethal use or the discharge of firearms within a jurisdiction, provided such ordinance complies with the provisions of section 252.243. No ordinance shall be construed to preclude the use of a firearm in the defense of person or property, subject to the provisions of chapter 563.

(2) In any jurisdiction in which the open carrying of firearms is prohibited by ordinance, the open carrying of firearms shall not be prohibited in accordance with the following:

(a) Any person with a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit who is open carrying a firearm shall be required to have a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit from this state, or a permit from another state that is recognized by this state, in his or her possession at all times;

(b) Any person open carrying a firearm in such jurisdiction shall display his or her concealed carry endorsement or permit upon demand of a law enforcement officer;

(c) In the absence of any reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity, no person carrying a concealed or unconcealed firearm shall be disarmed or physically restrained by a law enforcement officer unless under arrest; and

(d) Any person who violates this subdivision shall be subject to the penalty provided in section 571.121.

4. The lawful design, marketing, manufacture, distribution, or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public is not an abnormally dangerous activity and does not constitute a public or private nuisance.

5. No county, city, town, village or any other political subdivision nor the state shall bring suit or have any right to recover against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer for damages, abatement or injunctive relief resulting from or relating to the lawful design, manufacture, marketing, distribution, or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public. This subsection shall apply to any suit pending as of October 12, 2003, as well as any suit which may be brought in the future. Provided, however, that nothing in this section shall restrict the rights of individual citizens to recover for injury or death caused by the negligent or defective design or manufacture of firearms or ammunition.

6. Nothing in this section shall prevent the state, a county, city, town, village or any other political subdivision from bringing an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the state or such political subdivision.

(L. 1984 H.B. 928 § 1, A.L. 2003 S.B. 13, A.L. 2007 S.B. 225, A.L. 2014 S.B. 656)

*Effective 10-10-14, see § 21.250. S.B. 656 was vetoed July 14, 2014. The veto was overridden on September 10, 2014.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"excludes handguns" ?  What are you talking about?  I have to say that I disagree with your assessment and interpretation of what is on the books currently.

ETA: Your example legislation seems to allow for special taxes on firearms and components over and above sales tax.  That is currently prohibited.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, I don't see any exclusion for handguns.

Our preemption law is pretty good. One part I would change is the ability for ordinances that ban open carry without a ccw. I would also like to see constitutional carry.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Our preemption law is pretty good. One part I would change is the ability for ordinances that ban open carry without a ccw. I would also like to see constitutional carry.
View Quote

That would be a better thing to go after...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I'm with everybody else. Our preemption law is one of, if not the, strongest preemption laws in the US. Our state law doesn't allow much power at all for cities or anyone else to regulate firearms.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top