Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2015 7:01:43 PM EDT
Hello all,

They wife and I are thinking about making a life change, to a slower pace.  We been looking at properties all over southern MO, and have found a few around the Chadwick area that look good.  What do I need to know about the area???  locals NFA friendly??  Any shooting ranges in the area??  Any Gun stores I should check out when we drive up to scope things out??

Thanks in advance,

Brock in AR
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#1]
You're from Arkansas and you are moving to Missouri for a slower  place??? damn...

Christian County is a nice place to live, I lived in Nixa for a couple of years.  If you are around the Chadwick area you will be
pretty rural but will have easy access to Springfield and Branson areas for shopping and entertainment.  Ozark and Nixa are
both nice towns and they are booming.  Bedroom communities for Springfield.  Chadwick is pretty much in the middle of  
Mark Twain National Forest which means lots of hunting, hiking trails and camping if those activities interest you.  
Beautiful county.  Check out Hercules Glades wilderness area and Busiek Conservation area.  
Busiek CA has a 3 lane unsupervised range that can be a lot of fun.  Ozark Shooters Sports complex on 65 south of Saddlebrook
is good for sporting clays trap and skeet and have a limited selection of guns.

As for guns, Missouri is very NFA friendly, anything goes.  All of the sheriffs offices are gtg on signing forms.
We don't have constitutional carry yet.  Open carry for CCW permits only.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m in the jonesboro area, and it seems like the memphis crowd is headed this way.  Many, Many thug wannabe types.  Its starting to get to be a common occurrence for armed robberies.  Meth is absolutely terrible here.  

I hunt in Scottland county MO, and just love it.  The wife would like to be in the hills, with some type of creek/river/caves type terrain.  South west MO seems to fit the bill.  We have chickens, and she wants a Dexter cow.  I just think we would fit in nicely around there.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Open carry for CCW permits only.
View Quote

Great points otherwise, but open carry is legal as far as state law goes. Municipalities are a different matter, I think we're waiting for a ruling on the validity of Amendment 5...
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Grew up in Douglas County. Vanzant area.
Family dairy farm is still there.
I love the area, you might find a liberal transplant here or there but mostly they tend to mind their own business in regards to guns,hunting,etc.
Hard drug use seems to be on the rise in the surrounding areas or the drugs just seem to wreck people more nowadays and make them easier to spot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have my BOL in Ava, Douglas co.  I love the area so far but its very hard to find anyone who will do work to the property locally so I have to contact people in Springfield which then usually means a trip charge.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all who replied....

Tell me, is there any downside to buying a property in or against the national forest??
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Buzzard's Bluff? If so, I'm just a couple miles away.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We have another member here that bought property in Douglas County, not far from Ava.

I grew up in Mountain Grove, just across the county line in Wright County.  My wife and I made a couple of reconn trips down last summer to get some ideas about where we'd want to retire, and Douglas County is a possibility; I want a place close to the North Fork.  Our families are from mid and north Wright County, and I wouldn't mind a place on the Gasconade, either.

A favorite place on the Gasconade -

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=65692

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=65691

Topaz Mill -

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66173

Alley Spring Mill -

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66176

Jack's Fork Valley.  A bend in the river is visible in the distance, the river bed is two hundred and some feet directly below my feet -

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66528

Flying squirrel at Montauk -

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66177

View Quote

I grew up about two miles North of Topaz. Thats where I was baptized and spent a ton of my summer time swimming.
Now I like to take my kids there whenever we are down in the summer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]
i grew up in ozark county.  very laid back country living and pop density is low.  only like 7000 people in all of ozark county.  i'll move back there some day.  

i still deer hunt on my parents land down there.  good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Stay away from blue areas and those that are pink and not the 2 darker shades of red just to be safe. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_Missouri,_2012

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My Uncle Bill and Aunt Shirley owned that farm on the north side of H. 38 and just east of the bridge over Whetstone Creek.  Now you know my last name!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My Uncle Bill and Aunt Shirley owned that farm on the north side of H. 38 and just east of the bridge over Whetstone Creek.  Now you know my last name!

I should know your name, since I'm pretty sure I've heard the neighbors mention them, but I don't recall it now... I've been here 3 years now, used to live down by Mansfield. They sure had lots of water this summer:

Quoted:
Farther north, north of Manes off New Home Church Road.

Ah, the Grease Rack! I've been exploring that area some this year. Lots of interesting things down the roads around here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The photos I showed are a little north of the Grease Rack.  Follow the road past the church, then turn right (east) at the last road before re-intercepting Highway Z and follow that down to the river.  There is  good place to park up on the bank.

I shouldn't say that is my favorite spot, the Gasconade River pretty much is from end to end.  

I've eyeballed a couple of places along Highway E to buy, too.  We'll see ...

View Quote

Hah, my brain is taking in the similar places I've seen, and is filling in the details I guess. There are also similar-looking spots near the Wilbur Allen access. I'm on E, and sure like it out here. Being west of the river makes it easier to get into Springfield, and it's really quiet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I've sat on that back porch of Alley Spring Mill and drank moonshine with a lady on a date one time!
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Tell me, is there any downside to buying a property in or against the national forest??
View Quote

I'd pass on land neighboring national forest for the simple reason that anyone can be looking at your house from the public land.
With neighbors - you only have them looking at your house. The neighbors most likely will not be trespassing through your land or sitting on your fence line hunting.  

I live in Ozark County and work overseas. Love it here. Good friendly people.

If I did it again, I'd buy land closer to Ava. It's a little easier to get to Springfield from Ava than it is where I live.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'd pass on land neighboring national forest for the simple reason that anyone can be looking at your house from the public land.
With neighbors - you only have them looking at your house. The neighbors most likely will not be trespassing through your land or sitting on your fence line hunting.  

If I did it again, I'd buy land closer to Ava. It's a little easier to get to Springfield from Ava than it is where I live.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree! I like Ava so far.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 2:54:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I should know your name, since I'm pretty sure I've heard the neighbors mention them, but I don't recall it now... I've been here 3 years now, used to live down by Mansfield. They sure had lots of water this summer: http://i.imgur.com/0Ysj0ij.jpg

Ah, the Grease Rack! I've been exploring that area some this year. Lots of interesting things down the roads around here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should know your name, since I'm pretty sure I've heard the neighbors mention them, but I don't recall it now... I've been here 3 years now, used to live down by Mansfield. They sure had lots of water this summer: http://i.imgur.com/0Ysj0ij.jpg

Quoted:
Farther north, north of Manes off New Home Church Road.

Did the cow eggs still hatch or did the water drown them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top