Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2015 8:46:34 PM EDT
So I recently bought a new Subaru WRX and it takes 93 octane. I knew i would be paying a bit more for gas and budgeted for it. I had gotten accustomed to the .30 cent markup. Today at the shell near home 93 octane is now .60 cents a gallon more than 87. Did the middle east dry up overnight and it missed the news?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I recently bought a new Subaru WRX and it takes 93 octane. I knew i would be paying a bit more for gas and budgeted for it. I had gotten accustomed to the .30 cent markup. Today at the shell near home 93 octane is now .60 cents a gallon more than 87. Did the middle east dry up overnight and it missed the news?
View Quote

that sucks.  I have a tuned 04 GTO that also takes 93 octane now (also have a canyon as a dd).
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:50:21 AM EDT
[#2]
For the longest time it was always .30 cent difference.  I use to have a Monte Carlo SS that had to have 93 and when gas shot up back in 08 they started doing a .60 cent difference.

I would count on the .60 from here on out.  It only went back down to .30 when the price of oil fell out but its steadily rising and I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 dollars a gallon by mid summer.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#3]
When you figure out the answers to gasoline pricing, maybe you can explain why motor oil has never dropped in price even though the price of crude has dropped dramatically in the past several months.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you figure out the answers to gasoline pricing, maybe you can explain why motor oil has never dropped in price even though the price of crude has dropped dramatically in the past several months.
View Quote

that is easy.  gready bastards.  

that or they are buying their stock on 6 month contracts so that the price fluctuations between contracts doesn't affect them.  it is the same way the airlines buy their fuel and ship companies do too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

that or they are buying their stock on 6 month contracts so that the price fluctuations between contracts doesn't affect them.  it is the same way the airlines buy their fuel and ship companies do too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is most likely the case.  It's called hedging and is a very effective strategy to control costs.

As for the original poster, assuming you have a smart phone, there's a very handy app called "Gas Buddy". It's free, and works great.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Generally, only people who have to use premium will use it.  So the gas stations can charge whatever they want for it and if your car requires premium, you either pay for it or buy a new car.  

My wife's car recommends premium (Acura TSX), but you notice a significant difference if you don't use it, so we pay it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Generally, only people who have to use premium will use it.  So the gas stations can charge whatever they want for it and if your car requires premium, you either pay for it or buy a new car.  

My wife's car recommends premium (Acura TSX), but you notice a significant difference if you don't use it, so we pay it.
View Quote

Spark knock or decrease in HP output?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

ya I wish more places would carry 110 MO gas.  BTW, the 3rd gen QT's here now well 93 octane with 0% ethanol.  My car defiantly likes it better.  the tune is a little aggressive but still safe
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ya I wish more places would carry 110 MO gas.  BTW, the 3rd gen QT's here now well 93 octane with 0% ethanol.  My car defiantly likes it better.  the tune is a little aggressive but still safe
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would prefer to run 0 ethanol. where can these stations be found?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Gas - Check the map.

If you are in STL then don't plan on buying much ethanol free gas.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have an android phone there is an app called Pure Gas. I'm not sure but would assume they have one for IOS as well.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#12]
This is a tag.

I hate ethanol
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a place in Fenton that has has several high octane, ethanol free flavors.  You will pay for it though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There is a place in Fenton that has has several high octane, ethanol free flavors.  You will pay for it though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where in Fenton?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I was in Robinsville NC a few weeks ago, its a motorcycle Mecca and premium gas there was over a dollar a gallon more than regular.

Pay to play I guess.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell, when I still had my 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T 440 - Six Pack, 93 octane would have caused massive knocking.

You quickly learn to carry 104+ Octane Boost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top