Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2015 8:12:20 PM EDT
So I'm heading up to a farm around Macon County (Kirksville?) for the 4th of July and will be taking my time getting back to Texas.  I plan on hitting the 11 point River, and then Bull Shoals and Mulberry river in Arkansas.  I'm looking for a national/state park with good fishing in Missouri.  Any recommendations?  I will be solo, with a kayak and sleeping in a hammock.

ETA

Looking for places to target fish that I can't in Texas, so walleye, pike, trout are on my wishlist, but good smallmouth waters are intriguing as well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Bennett Springs sounds like the place for you.

Never camped there, so I don't know how the hammock would do.  Trout fishing is great.  Float the Niangua afterward.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Just to add to your list...Silver Mines....meets all your criteria

Silver Mines
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#3]
North Fork River just NW of west plains.  Good float and awesome trout.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Current River.  There's a reason they made it a National Scenic River.  The upper sections (Montauk to Akers Ferry.) have excellent trout fishing, are very scenic, and can be "sporty" kayaking.  I like to put in at Tan Vat Hole and float to Cedar Grove for a nice day float with great fishing.

eta; The upper Jacks Fork River (Also in the National Scenic Riverways.) has great smallmouth bass fishing, is very scenic, sporty, and flows into the Current River.  The lower sections are not as scenic and are the only portions with cabins along the bank.

I have done more than my fair share of floating Missouri streams and those are my favorites.  In fact I'm heading to the Current in the end of July to camp, float, and fish.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Current River.  There's a reason they made it a National Scenic River.  The upper sections (Montauk to Akers Ferry.) have excellent trout fishing, are very scenic, and can be "sporty" kayaking.  I like to put in at Tan Vat Hole and float to Cedar Grove for a nice day float with great fishing.

eta; The upper Jacks Fork River (Also in the National Scenic Riverways.) has great smallmouth bass fishing, is very scenic, sporty, and flows into the Current River.  The lower sections are not as scenic and are the only portions with cabins along the bank.

I have done more than my fair share of floating Missouri streams and those are my favorites.  In fact I'm heading to the Current in the end of July to camp, float, and fish.

View Quote

Avoid the Current around the Steelville area. Unless you like black out drunk bros by the thousands.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Avoid the Current around the Steelville area. Unless you like black out drunk bros by the thousands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Current doesn't flow near Steelville. The headwaters are south of Licking.

But, regarding drunken bros . . . float during the week and you should have the rivers pretty much to yourself.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out River of Life Farm

Also, the Big Piney is known for smallmouth. BTW, in most stretches of rivers in Missouri you can pitch your tent on gravel bars. Camp wherever you like. Might be a little tough with a hammock without venturing onto private property,  but you can probably find suitable spots.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Meramec, Huzzah or Courtois maybe, but the Current is way south of Steelville.
OP,

The Current & Jacks Fork rivers are two of my favorite.  My family has been going to both yearly for over 20 years.     Specifically the Owl's bend area on the Current and Alley Spring on the Jacks Fork.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So I'm heading up to a farm around Macon County (Kirksville?) for the 4th of July and will be taking my time getting back to Texas.  I plan on hitting the 11 point River, and then Bull Shoals and Mulberry river in Arkansas.  I'm looking for a national/state park with good fishing in Missouri.  Any recommendations?  I will be solo, with a kayak and sleeping in a hammock.

ETA

Looking for places to target fish that I can't in Texas, so walleye, pike, trout are on my wishlist, but good smallmouth waters are intriguing as well.
View Quote

I suppose that I'm biased since I grew up on it and have just shy of a 1/2 mile of river frontage on the south side of our farm, but I'll suggest the Gasconade.

From the website:
The Gasconade, probably named for French settlers from the province of Gascony in southwestern France, is reputed to be one of the most crooked rivers in the world. Entirely within Missouri, the river winds nearly 300 miles from its source near Hartville to the Missouri River, which is an airline distance of about 120 miles. In an area near Waynesville, you can float for 15 miles and be only two miles overland from your put-in.

Dru Pippin describes the Gasconade well in The Rivers of Missouri when he says, "...steep bluffs, gorgeous cuts, hairpin turns, and lazy eddies; hardwoods, softwoods and dogwoods, hidden logs, protruding boulders that weathering has tumbled from adjacent cliffs, wildflowers and shrubs, birds and bees, four-legged creatures quenching their thirst at my water's edge, while listless white clouds float above as though convoying my trip."
View Quote

It is an easy river to float with plenty of gravel bars for camping. I'm not aware of any pike, but there are walleye and trout, although they aren't as abundant as bass, panfish, and catfish.

OP, if you are interested in the Gasconade, I could provide shuttling around the Pulaski and Laclede county areas. And I'd be happy to answer any questions about floats in these areas.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#10]
^ The Gasconade is a great river for kayaking and small mouth, you could also do The Big Piney.   Don't forget to cool off in Boiling Spring.  

The Current River is excellent as well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Current river for sure!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I like around Pineville, MO and staying at Kozy Kamp.  For a more energetic trip, take the Big Sugar down to the camp.  For more leisurely, take the Elk from the camp down to Noel, MO.  The Big Sugar flows into the Elk.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I like around Pineville, MO and staying at Kozy Kamp.  For a more energetic trip, take the Big Sugar down to the camp.  For more leisurely, take the Elk from the camp down to Noel, MO.  The Big Sugar flows into the Elk.
View Quote
I have heard good things about the Elk river and Big Sugar creek.  Its a long way from Lincoln County though.  Maybe if the wife and I are traveling with our kayaks and camper we will give it a try.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Hopefully everything goes back down. Bc the rivers are really high the last couple weeks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#15]
OP if you're on facebook, this is a good page to get some info on where to go.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MissouriScenicRivers/?fref=ts
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top