Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2015 6:25:07 PM EDT
Posted this in the HK forum but figured that I would share here as well.

Walked into a local pawnshop in my AO in Springfield and saw an HK style firearm hanging on the wall. I asked the guy what the price was and he said $899. I was a bit dissapointed because I knew a real HK wouldn't be nearly that cheap. It was in great shape so I figured that I would take a look at it anyway and maybe try to talk them down a bit on the clone.

The guy handed it to me and I immediately turned it over to see who made the clone I was holding.

I almost fell over when I saw the markings. It was a real deal HK91 manufactured in Germany in 1979 and imported by SACO.

Since I had very little experience with HK firearms and wasn't 100% certain that I knew its true value (even though I had a good idea) I put it on layaway since they were getting ready to close.

I rushed home and did a bit of research and it didn't take long to figure out that I had gotten a steal and that the value was at least double what I gave for it.

I will take some pics and post them up when I get a chance.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Good job.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you talk them down?  
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you talk them down?  
View Quote

LOL.  Nope, after I double checked to confirm my suspicions I went there first thing the next day and gave them my money with trembling hands.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Good purchase

The REALLY early ones were stamped HK 41

They had a front push pin trigger group. (Yep, the same as a G3)
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I know it wasn't Loftis.  You have to take a loan out at the bank to buy anything there nowadays.  Was it in Springfield proper?  I got lazy and didn't do my weekly Friday check this week.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
It wasn't at Gunsmoke...I've never seen a real deal HK91 there, but I've only been working there since October.  We did have someone bring in a SP-89 though, 1991 date of manufacture and the shoulder holster with the metal hook and the HK stamp.  That was really cool.

Oh, and Hyrysc, good snag!!

Rev_Jason
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Posted this in the HK forum but figured that I would share here as well.

Walked into a local pawnshop in my AO in Springfield and saw an HK style firearm hanging on the wall. I asked the guy what the price was and he said $899. I was a bit dissapointed because I knew a real HK wouldn't be nearly that cheap. It was in great shape so I figured that I would take a look at it anyway and maybe try to talk them down a bit on the clone.

The guy handed it to me and I immediately turned it over to see who made the clone I was holding.

I almost fell over when I saw the markings. It was a real deal HK91 manufactured in Germany in 1979 and imported by SACO.

Since I had very little experience with HK firearms and wasn't 100% certain that I knew its true value (even though I had a good idea) I put it on layaway since they were getting ready to close.

I rushed home and did a bit of research and it didn't take long to figure out that I had gotten a steal and that the value was at least double what I gave for it.

I will take some pics and post them up when I get a chance.
View Quote

Congrats on the great find. Which one? I'm from SGF and occasionally make the road trip back up to visit my folks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 3:23:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Pics or it didn't happen
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well I know it wasn't Loftis.  You have to take a loan out at the bank to buy anything there nowadays.  Was it in Springfield proper?  I got lazy and didn't do my weekly Friday check this week.
View Quote

Actually, it was Loftis.  The one on Kansas and Kearney.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know Loftis had one up there. I only knew about the one off of Sunshine and Campbell. Time to add one more to the list of "must visit" places when I'm in town. Thanks and congrats again!
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#14]
That's an amazing buy.

If I could figure out how to post pictures from my phone I'd show you an even better deal. I was given  a 1942 US Property marked Colt last week.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Did you talk them down?  
View Quote

You got a great deal!

What cbr954 said is always true too though.  I'd have at least tried for $800.  ;)
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice steal! Looks like its in great shape also!
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Sweet!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:26:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I didn't know Loftis had one up there. I only knew about the one off of Sunshine and Campbell. Time to add one more to the list of "must visit" places when I'm in town. Thanks and congrats again!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just discovered that location recently myself.  I went in there and the boss was leaving for the day (early).  Everyone joked around that there would be shenanigans without him around.  He left.  Shenanigans ensued.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I just discovered that location recently myself.  I went in there and the boss was leaving for the day (early).  Everyone joked around that there would be shenanigans without him around.  He left.  Shenanigans ensued.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loftis has been up to some weird shit ever since they changed hands again.

For one i am extremely jealous.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You got a great deal!

What cbr954 said is always true too though.  I'd have at least tried for $800.  ;)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you talk them down?  

You got a great deal!

Well, I was afraid that they would do an internet search and see the true value and decide that it was no longer for sale for $900.  No, I made the decision that I was going to make the process as quick as possible so I could get the heck out of there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Elaborate, please.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Like telling people they can't form 4 a suppressor to the customer since their SOT expired (which is wrong).  They tell them they have to form 3 it to another dealer for a transfer.  Good luck on a form 3 without an SOT.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I really wanted that DDMK18 they had listed on gunbroker but not worth the hassle of paying the transfer fee plus the 60 day wait for the Form 3 to get approved.  Plus it seems like whoever is in charge of pricing their used guns likes to smoke crack.  Who would buy a used Glock when they have a new one five feet to the left in another case for the same price?  Its sad especially when I think about all the good deals I've gotten from them over the years.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#25]
You are lucky!  Good find!  I have always wanted a HK/Sarco.  Can't justify the price for the accuracy and destruction (eventual) of the brass, but it's one of my guilty pleasure/bucket guns.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice find!

Do yourself a favor and get some real HK magazines.  Throw away those CTD mags.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow, you had a horse shoe up your ass.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#29]
While I know enough to know you got a good deal, I don't know what you SHOULD have paid?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry folks, out of the country for work and haven't checked the boards recently.
Yes, I had the bolt gap checked by a gunsmith (first thing that I did after getting it).
Yes, the crappy aftermarket muzzle device is already gone.
I don't have any crappy CTD magazines.  I actually only have one right now, the factory steel one.
It shoots amazingly well, but I don't shoot 308 that often so will probably wait until I get home and will be selling it or trading it when the right deal comes along.  I am in no hurry to sell it, but will take it to the gun shows coming up to see if I get any decent offers.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top