Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2015 8:47:07 PM EDT
What does Missouri law say about auto knives?  Ive heard its ok and not ok.  So which is it?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I was under the impression that hb489 (2012) repealed the prohibition, but I'm certainly no expert on the matter.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
They are legal in Missouri but knives are not preempted. All that means is any local municipality may have an ordinance regulating knives to some extent.

For example, I think Kirkwood, MO has some ridiculous blade length restriction around 2.3".

For practical purposes though, I don't think anyone pays any attention to the local codes.  I figure if I get a ticket for my knife while I have a gun on my hip, then that particular cop is having a REALLY bad day or they hate the fact I can legally carry but they can't do anything about it.  I have never encountered that scenario however.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#3]
They're still prohibited on federal property and Indian land.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Indians can't have knives on their reservation. Lolwtf?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
Where is there any Indian land in Missouri?

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drive by an Indian market on occasion but I don't like Indian food so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#7]
While we are on the subject where's a good place in STL to check out auto knives for sale?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Gun shows.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe some shops are selective in who they sell to.  Their shop, their rules and all that.....
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Give Mid America a call.  I'm pretty sure I saw some there last time I was in.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Shooting Sports in Chesterfield has a nice selection.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What does Missouri law say about auto knives?  Ive heard its ok and not ok.  So which is it?
View Quote

They're just knives. Blades over 4" makes a knife a dangerous weapon, I believe, but otherwise a knife is just a knife . . . even if it has a button.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Relavent Statute:

Possession--manufacture--transport--repair--sale of certain weapons a crime--exceptions--penalties.

571.020. 1. A person commits a crime if such person knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1) An explosive weapon;

(2) An explosive, incendiary or poison substance or material with the purpose to possess, manufacture or sell an explosive weapon;

(3) A gas gun;

(4) A bullet or projectile which explodes or detonates upon impact because of an independent explosive charge after having been shot from a firearm; or

(5) Knuckles; or

(6) Any of the following in violation of federal law:

(a) A machine gun;

(b) A short-barreled rifle or shotgun;

(c) A firearm silencer; or

(d) A switchblade knife.

2. A person does not commit a crime pursuant to this section if his conduct involved any of the items in subdivisions (1) to (5) of subsection 1, the item was possessed in conformity with any applicable federal law, and the conduct:

(1) Was incident to the performance of official duty by the Armed Forces, National Guard, a governmental law enforcement agency, or a penal institution; or

(2) Was incident to engaging in a lawful commercial or business transaction with an organization enumerated in subdivision (1) of this section; or

(3) Was incident to using an explosive weapon in a manner reasonably related to a lawful industrial or commercial enterprise; or

(4) Was incident to displaying the weapon in a public museum or exhibition; or

(5) Was incident to using the weapon in a manner reasonably related to a lawful dramatic performance.
View Quote

Since it is not covered in Subsection 2 it is covered by Federal Law.

found this on KnifeUp:

For knife law, the only federal law is the Switchblade Knife Act of 1958 as well as the 2009 amendment to the act (see 15 U.S.C. §1244). The federal knife law only applies to individuals who are traveling internationally as well as between states. If you reside in a federal district (see Washington D.C. knife laws), the federal law is the only law that governs knives for you. If you live in one of the 50 states, the federal law would only apply to you if you are traveling from one state to another or if you are entering federal property, such as a military base.
View Quote

US laws are not much help.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Give Mid America a call.  I'm pretty sure I saw some there last time I was in.
View Quote

I was there fairly recently and they had a nice selection.  I asked about them as I hadn't yet heard that they were legal again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's racist and against my gay wedding cake rights!  I demand special equal treatment! I am a European-American so please don't discriminate against me as I only shower once a week at the goat mosque.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe some shops are selective in who they sell to.  Their shop, their rules and all that.....

That's racist and against my gay wedding cake rights!  I demand special equal treatment! I am a European-American so please don't discriminate against me as I only shower once a week at the goat mosque.

You need to be more specific...

I'm West European Anglo-Saxon Protestant American
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top