Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2015 4:06:20 PM EDT
Anybody out there looking to move a RR?  I'm wanting something on the cheaper end of the spectrum as opposed to a pristine Colt.  I had a good deal of luck with fellow ar15.com members when looking for my M11/9 and thought I might see if somebody has a line on an M16.

Thanks,

Chris

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
M16's typically sell pretty fast due to the higher demand.  The non Colt RR are on the lower end of the price range and sell a little slower than the Colt guns.  What price range are you looking at?

I helped a local customer find a Colt 614 which we were lucky to find around $20K.  Most of the Colt guns are $25K +
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M16's typically sell pretty fast due to the higher demand.  The non Colt RR are on the lower end of the price range and sell a little slower than the Colt guns.  What price range are you looking at?

I helped a local customer find a Colt 614 which we were lucky to find around $20K.  Most of the Colt guns are $25K +
View Quote

You know I think I mislabeled my post - is a conversion considered an M16 ?  Are they called something else?

I don't need a true 'M16' at all,  a conversion would be just fine (preferable in fact).  Whats' the going price?  15k?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a line on anything, but I'd check with Frank Goepfert or look at the subguns classifieds.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't have a line on anything, but I'd check with Frank Goepfert or look at the subguns classifieds.
View Quote

Just my .02 worth but he would not be my first choice for a lot of reasons I wont go into here, OP is it simply an FA experience you want or are you committed to an RR?
If you want your "16" and want to save a bit maybe consider an RDIAS, otherwise there are plenty of conversions out there and if you are not in a hurry you can get a decent price by watching that market ebb and flow a bit.
Conversions guns are fine if you just want a shooter, if you want investment grade thats when you want a prancing Pony on the side, I hear a lot  how this make or that make of transferable conversion is junk etc ..not really true as far as mechanics go, We do quite a few post sample gunsmithing conversions for LE and qualified others I have never had one not work correctly or run at the right rate. So shop the market a bit and wait for a deal.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just my .02 worth but he would not be my first choice for a lot of reasons I wont go into here, OP is it simply an FA experience you want or are you committed to an RR?
If you want your "16" and want to save a bit maybe consider an RDIAS, otherwise there are plenty of conversions out there and if you are not in a hurry you can get a decent price by watching that market ebb and flow a bit.
Conversions guns are fine if you just want a shooter, if you want investment grade thats when you want a prancing Pony on the side, I hear a lot  how this make or that make of transferable conversion is junk etc ..not really true as far as mechanics go, We do quite a few post sample gunsmithing conversions for LE and qualified others I have never had one not work correctly or run at the right rate. So shop the market a bit and wait for a deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not a huge fan of atfmachinegun.com.  Some of the pricing and reviews are less than stellar, but I wouldn't rule him out if the right deal came about.

I already have an M11/9 that is 'Laged-out" so it is not just about FA

I am not committed to a RR, but it seems to fit my budget/use best.  I want something that I can run a wide variety of calibers and configurations and the m16 seems to fit that bill best.  I would consider a DIAS, but the prices seem high and the supply low.

I don't want a collector - I want a shooter.  I want something that is used (not abused) - if it is too nice I won't use it.  If the lower is out of spec it will be sent off (most likely to m60joe) to make it right.  My plan is to shoot the thing forever (although that is what I said about my m11/9 and I have a feeling that will get sold after I pick up a M16).  I'm keeping an eye on the usual sites, but I prefer buying local - it is more comfortable for me.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Lean times out there!  Is this a particularly bad time to buy?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Prices seem to have leveled out for the last several months.

I have been looking at a possible rifle cal purchase and the 1919A4 really seems like it might be the toy to scratch that itch. They are easily had for less than a conversion these days. Seeing a RLL sell for 12K fills my mind with f***...... RDIAS at 30k is absurd. You could literally have your 02/07 for what, 40 years or so before you break even depending on your interpretation of ITAR and whether or not it is even enforceable.

If you are looking hard at a 16 and really don't want to spend all that cash you may keep your eyes toward Shockwave Technologies and his (soon hopefully) release of a quality and cost effective rifle cal upper for the MAC. Supposedly only the upper receiver, bolt carrier assembly and minor internals will be proprietary. The rest (IIRC) including the BBL, bolt, handguard, gas system, etc. are going to be COTS AR parts.

ETA - You will have to drill your lower for a recoil rod, no big deal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Prices seem to have leveled out for the last several months.

I have been looking at a possible rifle cal purchase and the 1919A4 really seems like it might be the toy to scratch that itch. They are easily had for less than a conversion these days. Seeing a RLL sell for 12K fills my mind with f***...... RDIAS at 30k is absurd. You could literally have your 02/07 for what, 40 years or so before you break even depending on your interpretation of ITAR and whether or not it is even enforceable.

If you are looking hard at a 16 and really don't want to spend all that cash you may keep your eyes toward Shockwave Technologies and his (soon hopefully) release of a quality and cost effective rifle cal upper for the MAC. Supposedly only the upper receiver, bolt carrier assembly and minor internals will be proprietary. The rest (IIRC) including the BBL, bolt, handguard, gas system, etc. are going to be COTS AR parts.

ETA - You will have to drill your lower for a recoil rod, no big deal.
View Quote

A1919 would be fun!

I, too, think the DIAS prices have gotten out of hand...I suspect they will fall.  if they do I might buy one, if not the RR is the way I will go.

I'm active on that site talking about the Shockwave Technologies rifle upper...I'm not confident that it will happen.  If it does I might just hang on to the m11.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump...put an ad on subugns and sturm - first email was a fairly involved scammer.  I still prefer 'local'.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top