Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 10:26:54 PM EDT
I need/want a weapon light I can put on Glocks (Full sized models only 17s, 22s, 21s, etc)

Also need one that will fit a holster as well and I guess I'll need a new holster...   Suggestions, what and why????

I guess it couldn't hurt to look for a light for at least one of my SBRs too... Suggestions there as well...
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You can look at either the Surefire X300 or the TLR-1.  Both seem to have the most holsters dedicated to either one, and you can probably find the TLR-1 for relatively cheap here on the EE.  My $.02.

Rev_Jason
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I run 300 lumen Streamlight TLR-1S (strobe) on my 226, 870, and AR.  Amazon has then for only $102 with free shipping.  can't beat that.  You gotta watch out for other places though as they may be selling pre 2013 models which are only 160 lumens.  I then use a SIGTAC holster made for my 226 with TLR-1
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Tlr-1HL is 640 lumens and has the strobe function.  I got mine new off a dealer on the EE for $125
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I got the TLR-1s and like it.  I put it on a G22 but holsters that I liked were harder to find that expected.  I wound up getting a semi custom kondex one that I do like.  I will have to look it up later as for what one it was
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tlr-1HL is 640 lumens and has the strobe function.  I got mine new off a dealer on the EE for $125
View Quote

^^^This^^^  You can also find them at Botach new for around the same price
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I 'm leaning towards the Streamlight TLR-1x...  Not sure if I really need the strobe or not...

Also, as this will mostly be a HD item, I'm not really sure if I need a Holster...  I guess it would be nice for rangeplay/Drills, but I don't think I'm going to carry it, more weight, more bulk...    But then again, Crime does happen after dark in places other than home...  So, maybe a Holster is back on the table...  :)  

So, to find a Holsters that will fit a Full sized Glock with TLR-1 ***ETA, and Threaded barrels*** ...  I liked a few by DSG Arms, but they are out of stock.

Alot of Holsters have closed ends, so the threaded barrel could be an issue...

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I 'm leaning towards the Streamlight TLR-1x...  Not sure if I really need the strobe or not...

Also, as this will mostly be a HD item, I'm not really sure if I need a Holster...  I guess it would be nice for rangeplay/Drills, but I don't think I'm going to carry it, more weight, more bulk...    But then again, Crime does happen after dark in places other than home...  So, maybe a Holster is back on the table...  :)  

So, to find a Holsters that will fit a Full sized Glock with TLR-1 ***ETA, and Threaded barrels*** ...  I liked a few by DSG Arms, but they are out of stock.

Alot of Holsters have closed ends, so the threaded barrel could be an issue...

View Quote

Just make sure you get one of the newer ones......double the lumens for $10-20 more.  HL version.

I think my holster is a safariland paddle
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just got mine off amazon, about $10 less.  I had Amex points though.......

ETA, I need new holster to.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got the tlr-3 since it sits basically flush with m&p FS or a G19

Tlr-1 would fit better on the g17 and as others said get the HL. It's very impressive. I leave my tlr3 on a suppressed 22 now for neighborhood pests and angry stray dogs. Very handy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my bravo concealment holsters
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love my bravo concealment holsters
View Quote

yes, this is what I have and like it too.  they make a version for light and threaded barrel btw.  http://bravoconcealment.com/collections/all-products/products/kydex-gun-holster-with-light
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Another vote from here for the TLR-1's and the Safariland holsters.

I went with the 6360 ( Mid Ride ) with light.  Keeps the gun clear of my chest rig.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#13]
TLR-1
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Viridin light, green laser combo, I have several.carry gun and in the night stand
Plenty bright enough for HD, can't remember the Lumens
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:17:07 AM EDT
[#15]
TLR 1 here. Safariland Holster.  Having a strobe is a huge plus in my book.  Blinds the crap out of people in the dark.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:28:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't seen anyone mention the issue of a light mounted on a Glock causing malfunctions.

We had a new Officer complaining that his Glock 22 was having jaming issues. I asked him to try removing his light, the malfunctions stopped.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:46:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I haven't seen anyone mention the issue of a light mounted on a Glock causing malfunctions.

We had a new Officer complaining that his Glock 22 was having jaming issues. I asked him to try removing his light, the malfunctions stopped.
View Quote

Glock supposedly fixed the problem but who knows.  Have him put it on and just snug it not tighten it like it has to survive a nuclear explosion, that fixed all the problems we had with the G22s.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never caused any problems on the ones that I know of.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never had a surefire handgun light, (have surefire on my AR)  but that being said, I love my TLR-1

I think it's the right amount of lumens.  between 150-200.  I don't want the super high lumen lights on my handguns.  I do have a 500+ on my AR for the throw outdoors.

I learned a lot going around my house in the middle of the night in pitch black with a WML on my handgun.  People have made the case before of preferring a hand held light so that you don't cover a target with your muzzle before you identify them.  Well, fact of the matter is, you don't do that with a WML either.  You don't want to use the main focus of the light to see in the dark.  You use the splash.  If you want to see down a hallway, point the focus at the corner and the splash will illuminate the rest.

Mostly the focus of the WML is pointed a bit in front of you, at the ground, and you use the splash to see.  In the middle of the night, even with the normal 150ish lumen model, pointing the focus right at a wall will blind yourself with the reflected light.  Let alone something in the 500 range.

Use the splash to see, then when you see your target you use the focus to identify/blind the target.  Try it yourself.  You'll be surprised how much your own WML can blind YOU.  You need to learn how to use the splash.

That being said, surprised how many of you guys like the strobe.  I feel like the strobe would confuse me almost as much as it does my target.  I feel like blinding light in their eyes confuses me, and leaves me with the upper hand.  The strobe, whether in my eyes or not, would still effect me.  But, that's just me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do a search, it's not uncommon.  And again, I observed it first hand. He tried the light again, it jammed again.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Haven't put a light on either of my Glocks yet but do have a TLR-1 on my M&P22 pistol for popping (rac)coons off of the trash can at night. It's real easy to use and bright as hell, absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the Trl3 as its much smaller.  The downside is that it takes a stupid cr2 battery and you may have a hard time find I g a holster to work with it.

Most of the kydex holsters retain the gun primary by the light...so it'll need to be pretty much a dedicated setup.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:09:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I like the Trl3 as its much smaller.  The downside is that it takes a stupid cr2 battery and you may have a hard time find I g a holster to work with it.

Most of the kydex holsters retain the gun primary by the light...so it'll need to be pretty much a dedicated setup.
View Quote
Yea I was looking at the TLR-3 also...  If I go with a light, I may not get a Holster, it'll just be my HD gun...

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've never had a surefire handgun light, (have surefire on my AR)  but that being said, I love my TLR-1

I think it's the right amount of lumens.  between 150-200.  I don't want the super high lumen lights on my handguns.  I do have a 500+ on my AR for the throw outdoors.

I learned a lot going around my house in the middle of the night in pitch black with a WML on my handgun.  People have made the case before of preferring a hand held light so that you don't cover a target with your muzzle before you identify them.  Well, fact of the matter is, you don't do that with a WML either.  You don't want to use the main focus of the light to see in the dark.  You use the splash.  If you want to see down a hallway, point the focus at the corner and the splash will illuminate the rest.

Mostly the focus of the WML is pointed a bit in front of you, at the ground, and you use the splash to see.  In the middle of the night, even with the normal 150ish lumen model, pointing the focus right at a wall will blind yourself with the reflected light.  Let alone something in the 500 range.

Use the splash to see, then when you see your target you use the focus to identify/blind the target.  Try it yourself.  You'll be surprised how much your own WML can blind YOU.  You need to learn how to use the splash.

That being said, surprised how many of you guys like the strobe.  I feel like the strobe would confuse me almost as much as it does my target.  I feel like blinding light in their eyes confuses me, and leaves me with the upper hand.  The strobe, whether in my eyes or not, would still effect me.  But, that's just me.
View Quote

Hell, I just hit the ceiling with the light angled at about 45deg for a quick second.  Lights everything up.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yea I was looking at the TLR-3 also...  If I go with a light, I may not get a Holster, it'll just be my HD gun...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right on. I've got one you're welcome to try out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Need two more batteries?  I bought two CR2 rechargables by accident.  They're the Orbtronic/Panasonic ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top