Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2014 10:07:16 PM EDT
Hey All!

Never been to the Jay Henges range and kind of confused on if I can shoot steal cased ammo. I have an AR-15, an AKM (7.62x39), and a M91/30 that I'm wanting to shoot and was wondering if Wolf, Tula, and Military Surplus ammo was allowed? Also is there anything else that I should know about this particular range? Thanks in advance for any info!

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot away, but not more than one round per 3 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok! Thanks for the reply. I googled it and got different answers. So I hope a few more people can chime in to confirm as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup, three seconds between shots
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
3 seconds sucks for adults, but great for teaching kids
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Steel core ammo is not allowed.

Armor-piercing, steel-core, or steel-jacketed rifle or handgun ammunition is not allowed. Staff check for compliance with a magnet at check-in window and/or on the line. Additionally, no tracer or incendiary-type ammunition is allowed.

mdc.mo.gov/regions/st-louis/jay-henges-shooting-range
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#7]
It may say that on the website, but I've never been checked and never had an issue with ammo at that particular range.  In fact, that's the only place that I can get to in less that 20 minutes that I have been able to use steel ammo, otherwise I'd have stopped buying it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Been there 10 times never asked about ammo when shooting my AR's and 308 Savage. So if they have rules they never asked me about it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I went there with a holstered handgun (years ago), and they made me take it out and carry it to be safer.   I was already carrying stuff, so I stuck one finger through the trigger guard and let it hang there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been there 10 times never asked about ammo when shooting my AR's and 308 Savage. So if they have rules they never asked me about it.
View Quote

Nope but squeeze off two rounds in 2.8 seconds and they step right on over.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
What do you expect for $3 an hour?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Are they open every Sunday? How many yards does this range go up to?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Are they open every Sunday? How many yards does this range go up to?
View Quote

100Y
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:02:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey thanks for all the replies! I'll give it a try. I'll bring some brass just in case. I went to Sharp Shooters (an indoor range that allows up to 50 BMG) and all I could shoot with my AK was PMC. No bimetal either. Not a big deal but blew my budget out of the water!

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#15]
There's a similar range (Andy Dalton) north of Springfield with a similar set of rules.  There's a video about the procedures.  I remember my brain being about overloaded when after saying no holsters and no slings they had the guy go through some sort of occult ritual to remove his rifles from his case.

Andy Dalton Shooting Range Procedures

Looking at the schedule, it seems like they host some nifty activities.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Word to the wise for those considering a trip to the Busch and Henges ranges; The attendance at the range increases exponentially in proportion to the proximity of deer season.

AKA: "Deer season starts next week/tomorrow, I better go to the Henges Range so I can zero this sum'bitch..."

Youth firearms season starts next weekend and open season starts on the 15th. Better get to the ranges while you can unless you like waiting 2 hours for a half hour of range time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Word to the wise for those considering a trip to the Busch and Henges ranges; The attendance at the range increases exponentially in proportion to the proximity of deer season.

AKA: "Deer season starts next week/tomorrow, I better go to the Henges Range so I can zero this sum'bitch..."

Youth firearms season starts next weekend and open season starts on the 15th. Better get to the ranges while you can unless you like waiting 2 hours for a half hour of range time.
View Quote

I go to Henges for an hour almost every other Friday.  Was there last Friday.  You are absolutely correct.  I waited 30 minutes last Friday, and almost an hour a couple weeks ago.  Worse on weekends.  Then, you are limited to 1 hour on the line when there are people waiting.

I have never been asked about my ammo, and shoot SS109, bimetal, etc. there without issue.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's a similar range (Andy Dalton) north of Springfield with a similar set of rules.  There's a video about the procedures.  I remember my brain being about overloaded when after saying no holsters and no slings they had the guy go through some sort of occult ritual to remove his rifles from his case.

Andy Dalton Shooting Range Procedures

Looking at the schedule, it seems like they host some nifty activities.
View Quote

The reason for no holsters is there have been people that have tried to draw from the holster and shot the roof, floor, shooting table, booth dividers, etc.. So no holsters, once again the 1% of the dumbasses make the other 99% have to follow lame ass rules.

Also, about Henges being busy, it is about to get a WHOLE lot busier.  Busch will be closed down, completely demolished and rebuilt.  It will be done in two phases and take upwards of two years.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:02:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the link
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:51:07 AM EDT
[#20]
My plan was to be there at 10am on a Wednesday. I work the 3rd shift on my job and was hoping that during the day on a weekday would be a better bet. I'm aware of deer season and the range being more busy during this time. Would this be a good game plan or does it really matter because deer hunters have a similar idea as me?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#21]
There will most likely still be others there, but nowhere near as many as you'd find on the weekend.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#22]
That's what I was hoping. Thanks all, you've been a great help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top