Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2014 7:18:47 PM EDT
1st of, I'm happy and proud that she wants a gun and is not a Anti-Gun nut...  

However, it saddens me that this Fergistan BS is what is making her want one...  She said, she is worried the Black People are going to start killing White people...  

My hesitations are, 1, you gotta be 19 to get a CCW, (she'll be 19 in Feb),2. I don't trust she would not get it taken from her, lose it, or not have a N.D. from playing with it...

She knows better to play with my guns (not that she'd have access) but if it was HERs, I think she'd be more likly to play with it and do something stupid, just because its hers...

As far as Exp with Guns, she has been to the range with me a few times and shot the 10/22 a bunch and an AR a few times... I don't recall her ever shooting a handgun.

Really pains me to say, I still can't put a gun in her hands just yet...  

I told her I'd think it over, and she would have to do several range sessions with me, get her CCW and take a class or two, before I'd allow her to have her own...  I just don't think she is mature enough...
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First, make sure you have a talk with her, and make sure she understands that while her fears are understandable (thanks to 24/7 news coverage and continuous race baiting), they are unwarranted. There is no reason to fear going about your business. The vast majority of those involved in Ferguson are / were acting on mob mentality, where the crowd was so large that they would never have to be held personally accountable for their actions. "Rioters," are much less ballsy by themselves. Stealing rims and wigs does not equate to the mass murder of whites. Media fearmongering is not helping, but reassure her that she IS safe.

Second, offer to take her to the range more often. Once she advances a bit, take some classes with her. You could both benefit from this. I'm sure she will understand your reasoning that a person who is inexperienced with firearms should not carry one for personal protection. There are more than a few reasons why, which I'm sure you know.

With these additional range experiences, you'll better be able to judge her judgement and respect for firearms. Sometimes, developing a healthy respect for a firearms power involves a demonstration of its destructive power. If she's not interested in hunting, maybe take a thawed chicken or something to the range. Holes in paper don't convey the destructive potential.

All in all, use your best judgement and advise your daughter accordingly.
View Quote

Welp, you pretty much word for word, lined out my plan...

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Was your wife at Ultimate Defense this afternoon?  I was in there and I swear a lady came in stating the exact same thing, wanting a hand gun for her 18 yr old daughter (who was scared of the Ferguson riots) and wanted to get her classes as the "crazies have crossed the river" she said.  Made me sad to hear that but also good to hear the St. Charles county cannot rely on the river to keep the riff raff out.  Especially since St. Charles is not far behind North County these days.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I would be concerned as well , but you could also turn this into a chance to spend more time with your daughter and let her earn your trust with a firearm . You will always worry about your children . Its what parents do.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
The above sounds like a great approach but I would not delay in starting.  At 18 she doesn't 'need' permission to buy a gun from an individual if she has the funds.  Not saying she would just go get one, but if she didn't feel like the process was progressing and she was truly scared enough, she might.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The above sounds like a great approach but I would not delay in starting.  At 18 she doesn't 'need' permission to buy a gun from an individual if she has the funds.  Not saying she would just go get one, but if she didn't feel like the process was progressing and she was truly scared enough, she might.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Naa,  She could not afford it and would not do it without my approval and input... At least I don't things so..  But, Ima take her to the range next day we both have off...  Or have her take a day off on the weekend..

Quoted:

I would be concerned as well , but you could also turn this into a
chance to spend more time with your daughter and let her earn your trust
with a firearm . You will always worry about your children . Its what
parents do.
True...  I had kinda hoped that..

Quoted:

Was your wife at Ultimate Defense this afternoon?  I was in there and I
swear a lady came in stating the exact same thing, wanting a hand gun
for her 18 yr old daughter (who was scared of the Ferguson riots) and
wanted to get her classes as the "crazies have crossed the river" she
said.  Made me sad to hear that but also good to hear the St. Charles
county cannot rely on the river to keep the riff raff out.  Especially
since St. Charles is not far behind North County these days.

Not mine, We are divorced as of Valentines Day '14!!!  There is prolly a lot of similar thinking...  I know my sister was telling me last week she wanted to get another gun and her husband had a guy calling me tonight to ask questions about a few guns...

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#7]
You will do fine dad. Take it as a time to educate and if you ever want to take a ride over here I will invest some time with you and your daughter.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:25:01 AM EDT
[#8]
As others have said I would reassure her that this fear is probably unwarranted for the most part however I wouldn't let this opportunity to get her into firearms slip away.  You mentioned that she doesn't have access to your guns so why not take her shooting find a gun that fits her and buy it.  You keep it locked up until she is mature and/or competent enough with it to transfer it to her possession.  

Grove
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Naa,  She could not afford it and would not do it without my approval and input... At least I don't things so..  But, Ima take her to the range next day we both have off...  Or have her take a day off on the weekend..

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might be a good test of her dedication and "grownupness" to have her come up with the funds. Even if you meet her half way it might help demonstrate how serious she is about it.  Feeding a gun isn't cheap either so maybe get her in the mindset now that it's a big deal.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#10]
In the mean time . . . Taser C2

I'm a big fan of these. My wife carries one every day -- and since they're not considered weapons in Missouri, she takes it to work in a government building -- and I have one under the counter at my store. (Not every asshole needs shooting, you know.) They're especially good for wimmenz who are squeamish about guns. I don't think there's a woman alive who would have a problem Tasing an attacker.

If you really believe your daughter is not ready for a handgun, don't leave her defenseless. Buy her a Taser. Nothing says love like two electro-charged fish hooks in a pocket or purse.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You guys are slacking.  I saw no requests for pictures of alleged daughter.  
View Quote

Giving up on the midget German girls, Eric?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Everyone starts somewhere. I did. You did. And so shall she.
You should count yourself lucky and be proud she is seeking your advice and permission.
After she gains your trust.------------
She can obtain a Maine non-resident permit that is honored by the state of Mo at 18 years of age. ---- Online.------- A Mo ccw class will suffice for the training requirement.
Maine is a shall issue state.
Good Luck and just remember she's your daughter. You're always going to worry. You're going to worry because she has it, you're going to worry because she doesn't. And her age will not matter if she's 18 or 81.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe the ccw class and the gun carrying lifestyle could turn on the light for her?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#16]
yea, I'm going take her to a few shops to see what fits her hand best...

It will stay in my safe till we've been to the range several times and she demonstrates SAFTEY,  the ability to handle and shoot correctly and we get her, her CCW...  

Then when I'm comfortable I'll let her start keeping it... I'll at least get her on the path and moving towards it...
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like your daughter has a very valid interest in owning a handgun. The Ferguson situation is a good reason to own a gun.

Training is important, yes, but once that's taken care of I wouldn't have mixed emotions about this at all.

Be thankful your daughter is interested in protecting herself. Most people are oblivious to the dangers out there in the real world and would rather pretend those dangers don't exist.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Take her to the range for more practice, does she hunt this may show her the true power of a gun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:54:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I would not wait around on getting her out to the range.  She wants it for protection...don't dick around.  She is almost 19, not a kid, show her how to safely handle the gun, let her tear it down, practice drawing,trigger pull, trying it on with clothing...cleaning it...etc.  Let her get comfortable with it while you guys are away from the range.  I would not put it in the safe, until she is ready for it to go into the safe.  There is a lot of things she can and should be doing with an unloaded guy, while not at the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top