Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2014 2:53:59 PM EDT
Saw on the news where the gun laws the Governor vetoed will go into effect today, and word on when we will be able to use our CCW permits to bypass the background check?
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read "NICS background check bypass with CCW"  mentioned on the forums a couple of times, but I cannot find mention of it in SB 745 or SB 656.  Can someone point it out to me?
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a thread awhile back regarding it.  Someone contacted the ATF and they said if and when THEY determine our ccw qualifies, they will notify the state.  Or something to that effect.  So don't hold your breath...

ETA:  here it is... Page three.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_32/566778_overturn_Nixons_veto_of_SB_656__passed_in_senate_on_to_the_house.html&page=3
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the information.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Saw on the news where the gun laws the Governor vetoed will go into effect today, and word on when we will be able to use our CCW permits to bypass the background check?
View Quote

We have this in AR.  Sure saves some time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#5]
When does the amendment 5 that was passed get written into the constitution?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:10:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.moga.mo.gov/const/A12002b.HTM

Missouri Constitution
Article XII
AMENDING THE CONSTITUTION
Section 2(b)

August 28, 2013

Submission of amendments proposed by general assembly or by the initiative.
Section 2(b). All amendments proposed by the general assembly or by the initiative shall be submitted to the electors for their approval or rejection by official ballot title as may be provided by law, on a separate ballot without party designation, at the next general election, or at a special election called by the governor prior thereto, at which he may submit any of the amendments. No such proposed amendment shall contain more than one amended and revised article of this constitution, or one new article which shall not contain more than one subject and matters properly connected therewith. If possible, each proposed amendment shall be published once a week for two consecutive weeks in two newspapers of different political faith in each county, the last publication to be not more than thirty nor less than fifteen days next preceding the election. If there be but one newspaper in any county, publication for four consecutive weeks shall be made. If a majority of the votes cast thereon is in favor of any amendment, the same shall take effect at the end of thirty days after the election. More than one amendment at the same election shall be so submitted as to enable the electors to vote on each amendment separately.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Missouri Constitution
Article XII
Section 2(b)

August 28, 2013

Section 2(b). All amendments proposed by the general assembly or by the initiative shall be submitted to the electors for their approval or rejection by official ballot title as may be provided by law, on a separate ballot without party designation, at the next general election, or at a special election called by the governor prior thereto, at which he may submit any of the amendments. No such proposed amendment shall contain more than one amended and revised article of this constitution, or one new article which shall not contain more than one subject and matters properly connected therewith. If possible, each proposed amendment shall be published once a week for two consecutive weeks in two newspapers of different political faith in each county, the last publication to be not more than thirty nor less than fifteen days next preceding the election. If there be but one newspaper in any county, publication for four consecutive weeks shall be made. If a majority of the votes cast thereon is in favor of any amendment, the same shall take effect at the end of thirty days after the election. More than one amendment at the same election shall be so submitted as to enable the electors to vote on each amendment separately.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Missouri Constitution
Article XII
Section 2(b)

August 28, 2013

I read the Missouri Constitution on the SOS website and it doesn't reflect the change.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Missouri is at times PAINFULLY slow at updating statutes and the like online.  There have been instances of statutes being updated online only after the update was out of date due to the passage of a new law.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I read the Missouri Constitution on the SOS website and it doesn't reflect the change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

shall take effect

Ya, no telling when the updated version will get added.  Call and ask them when they are going to update it...they might wait until after the Nov election to update it.....but I'm not sure on their time line.

The part that I think you were asking about was when does it cover us with the updated wording.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
It usually takes to about this time in October for the Statutes to be updated on the website. My guess it will be later due to the veto override session.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#11]
forgot what passed and what changed.  anyone with a synopsis?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Age reduces to 19 (SB-656)

Choice of gun for the Range portion (20 rounds practice / 20 rounds test) (SB-745 & SB-656)

Allows school districts to appoint school protection personnel with additional training (SB-656)

Permits expire on last day of the month they were issued (I think SB-745 but definitely SB-656)

Special prosecutors are now exempt.

Several other minor things that I cannot think of off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.senate.mo.gov/14info/pdf-bill/tat/SB656.pdf
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_32/566778_overturn_Nixons_veto_of_SB_656__passed_in_senate_on_to_the_house.html&page=1

Ccw age lowered to 19.
You are only required to shoot a semi auto OR a revolver as opposed to both.
Open carry is now preempted and is legal throughout the state IF you have a valid ccw permit.
etc..

As a side note, I literally just open carried for the first time ever.  A gas station in St. Charles and a store in Twin Oaks (St. Louis County).
Zero issues, zero comments, zero people grabbing their kids and running for the hills.  Surprisingly, no one took my gun and shot me with it.  I was assured that would happen by several people.

I don't anticipate carrying open  often as it just doesn't compliment the way I usually dress.  Other than uniformity of the law, the real benefit to me is that I won't necessarily be quite as concerned if I am printing or if the end of my holster is visible.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks

Quoted:...Age reduces to 19 (SB-656)....
View Quote

only thing I really didn't like was this one because now NV doesn't recip with MO.  haven' looked to see if I can do anything about it though
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
thanks

only thing I really didn't like was this one because now NV doesn't recip with MO.  haven' looked to see if I can do anything about it though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
thanks

Nv stopped reciprocation a year or two ago and it had nothing to do with lowering our age limit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is the language from the truly agreed and finally passed bill. The language in parentheses has been removed.

A concealed carry permit shall be valid [for a period of five years] from the date of issuance or renewal until five years from the last day of the month in which the permit was issued or renewed. The concealed carry permit is valid throughout this state. Although the permit is considered valid in the state, a person who fails to renew his or her permit within five years from the date of issuance or renewal shall not be eligible for an exception to a National Instant Criminal Background Check under federal regulations currently codified under 27 CFR14 478.102(d) relating to the transfer, sale, or delivery of firearms from licensed dealers.

Here is the federal section:
§ 478.102 Sales or deliveries of firearms on and after November 30, 1998.
(a) Background check. Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer (the licensee) shall not sell, deliver, or transfer a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this part unless the licensee meets the following requirements:

(d) Exceptions to NICS check. The provisions of paragraph (a) of this section shall not apply if—
(1) The transferee has presented to the licensee a valid permit or license that—
(i) Allows the transferee to possess, acquire, or carry a firearm;
(ii) Was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place; and
(iii) The law of the State provides that such a permit or license is to be issued only after an authorized government official has verified that the information available to such official does not indicate that possession of a firearm by the transferee would be in violation of Federal, State, or local law: Provided, That on and after November 30, 1998, the information available to such official includes the NICS;
(2) The firearm is subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act and has been approved for transfer under 27 CFR part 479; or
(3) On application of the licensee, in accordance with the provisions of § 478.150, the Director has certified that compliance with paragraph (a)(1) of this section is impracticable.

I highlighted the one section because that was one thing that was changed in the issuance process for the permit, so I don't see where there should be any reason to get approval from the Feds, its already done.

Edit: Looking into this further, this would only apply to a permit issued after Oct. 10th, 2014
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nv stopped reciprocation a year or two ago and it had nothing to do with lowering our age limit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks

Not sure how true it is, but.

"Apparently it is because MO had a change in the law allowing military personnel to apply for a CCW under age 21"

"Our NRS says 21 or older, and their statute says under 21.

They either need to meet our standard, or we need to change our law (which I don't see happening).

It is what it is."
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"Apparently it is because MO had a change in the law allowing military personnel to apply for a CCW under age 21"

They either need to meet our standard, or we need to change our law (which I don't see happening).

It is what it is."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks

It is what it is."

It was my understanding that Nevada dropped its recognition on Mo, because of our changes involving taking the DOR out of our permitting process.
They no longer had a way of confirming validity of the CCW without contacting the sheriff in which the county the permit was issued.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It was my understanding that Nevada dropped its recognition on Mo, because of our changes involving taking the DOR out of our permitting process.
They no longer had a way of confirming validity of the CCW without contacting the sheriff in which the county the permit was issued.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks

It is what it is."

That is what MoSMART is for.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#20]
OC with permit, in those cities that have a ban...that should be challenged now anyway.  Plus, that portion of 21.750 needs to be removed next session..as there is no doubt about it with the new RKBA wording.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
thanks

View All Quotes
Quoted:
thanks

NV stopped honoring MO over a year ago.

It was because their LEO couldn't access the statewide database of CCW holders anymore.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks

It is what it is."

That explains it. I wondered why when I went in to renew in September that I no longer needed to have it on my driver's license. .... back to the original topic, sorry for the threadjack
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That explains it. I wondered why when I went in to renew in September that I no longer needed to have it on my driver's license. .... back to the original topic, sorry for the threadjack
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

It is what it is."

Makes sense.  I was under the assumption it was because there was no photo on the ID anymore.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
thanks

View All Quotes
Quoted:
thanks

NV recips with nonres AZ...
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:16:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top