Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 7:16:54 PM EDT
I travel by personal car all over the midwest. For some reason it never occurred to me that some state are more restrictive than in Illinois.

In Missouri can you have a loaded mag in the same case as your rifle ?  Can you have it inserted in the rifle ? Same question with a tube feed shotgun

In illinois it is legal to have a loaded mag anywhere even in the same sase  as long as it is not in the rife. It has to be out of direct access so the trunk is OK. Which is where I keep it

If it is a no go for loaded mags what about a double barrel shotgun with shells in the same case or repeater for that matter?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Just to add. Im currently downtown and it would be nice to have a rifle or shotgun in the trunk. I have a carry permit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Just tell them you are a rioter.  They'll let you pass, no worries.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Sticky wicket ol'chap.

Missouri is an open carry state but with the hodge-podge of any city making an ordinance against open carry.  I know you said in your trunk and US law allows peaceable journey as long as the gun is inaccessible you should be good to go.

More importantly, I am not a lawyer and this in not legal advice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
AFAIK, you'd be golden.  The only bit of squirreliness I can recall is something about concealed compartments in the passenger compartment with a specific exemption for the glove box.  OTOH, the reality of the law and LEO understanding of it are often different.  Other classic examples include tint on windows, and which lane you can turn into if you have more than one option.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:23:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll give the same caveat as others, I am not a lawyer and depending on the officer, they may not know anymore regarding your specific situation than the sidewalk does....

That being said, with a valid ccw, it is my understanding and interpretation that you are gtg even in the passenger compartment.  It could be loaded and ready to go but as already mentioned, if it is visible from outside the vehicle it COULD be considered open carry, again, depending on the officer.

The Missouri statute states that a valid ccw endorsement issued by this state or ANY other state or political subdivision of any other state exempts you from Missouri's concealed weapons law which would cover this.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the pertinent statutes regarding MO weapons law.  RSMO 571
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I travel by personal car all over the midwest. For some reason it never occurred to me that some state are more restrictive than in Illinois.

In Missouri can you have a loaded mag in the same case as your rifle ?  Can you have it inserted in the rifle ? Same question with a tube feed shotgun

Yes. So long as you legally own the weapon your are fine here in MO. Glove box, center console, between the seats, on your waste, etc doesn't matter to me. What does matter is if you don't tell me and I find it I won't be happy. I don't like surprises. If you tell me your packing I'm fine with it because so am I. Its just common courtesy in my opinion.

In illinois it is legal to have a loaded mag anywhere even in the same sase  as long as it is not in the rife. It has to be out of direct access so the trunk is OK. Which is where I keep it

If it is a no go for loaded mags what about a double barrel shotgun with shells in the same case or repeater for that matter?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll give the same caveat as others, I am not a lawyer and depending on the officer, they may not know anymore regarding your specific situation than the sidewalk does....

That being said, with a valid ccw, it is my understanding and interpretation that you are gtg even in the passenger compartment.  It could be loaded and ready to go but as already mentioned, if it is visible from outside the vehicle it COULD be considered open carry, again, depending on the officer.

The Missouri statute states that a valid ccw endorsement issued by this state or ANY other state or political subdivision of any other state exempts you from Missouri's concealed weapons law which would cover this.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the pertinent statutes regarding MO weapons law.  RSMO 571
View Quote

Unless they've changed it, MO law specifically says "concealable weapons", which MO defines as a weapon with a barrel of less than 16", are allowed to be carried loaded in cars.  He stated he is carrying a rifle and/or shotgun.  So unless they are SBR or SBS then they can't be loaded and ready to go.  Since he has a permit, he could carry a handgun legally through most of the Midwest according to www.handgunlaw.us.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. So long as you legally own the weapon your are fine here in MO. Glove box, center console, between the seats, on your waste, etc doesn't matter to me. What does matter is if you don't tell me and I find it I won't be happy. I don't like surprises. If you tell me your packing I'm fine with it because so am I. Its just common courtesy in my opinion.

Sure, you can ticket me for the reason you pulled me over, but what can you legally do about me 'packing'?  Other than you won't be happy, that is.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sure, you can ticket me for the reason you pulled me over, but what can you legally do about me 'packing'?  Other than you won't be happy, that is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I said and meant was its nice when people say so if the gun might come into the picture during a traffic stop.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

All I said and meant was its nice when people say so if the gun might come into the picture during a traffic stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.  Thanks for the reply.

I'm inclined NOT to say a word about it, because I am not willing to risk the LEO wanting my gun to come out of its holster, unloading it, and keeping it away from me.... for his 'safety'.

What is very comforting, is that the few times I have been pulled over the LEO doesn't even ask about guns or drugs.

I can't read their mind, but maybe this is because I present myself as a respectable and responsible person and treat him respectfully.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Highway Patrol brochure:

Missouri Concealed Weapons Law
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Unless they've changed it, MO law specifically says "concealable weapons", which MO defines as a weapon with a barrel of less than 16", are allowed to be carried loaded in cars.  He stated he is carrying a rifle and/or shotgun.  So unless they are SBR or SBS then they can't be loaded and ready to go.  Since he has a permit, he could carry a handgun legally through most of the Midwest according to www.handgunlaw.us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I actually have the time to sit down at a computer instead of my phone, I will present my case as to why I disagree.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When I actually have the time to sit down at a computer instead of my phone, I will present my case as to why I disagree.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was gonna say, I've not seen anything in the law saying you can't have a long gun loaded in your vehicle. I've been keeping a pump shotgun with a full tube and empty chamber (cable lock through ejection port) in my trunk for years.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't volunteer the info, unless something they ask me to do might have me reach anywhere near it. (If I have to get something out of the center console, before I take my hands off the steering wheel I tell them that I have a .45 on my right hip).

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just reviewed the laws.  While it still has an exemption for "peaceable journey" where it describes carrying a firearm unloaded or out of reach, I can't find anything that says that carrying a firearm in your vehicle is illegal in the first place.

on that same note...,  there is an exemption for a person 21 years or older to carry a concealable weapon in his or her vehicle (18 years or older for members of the military), but again, I can't find anything to say it's illegal in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Short answer, Load em up.  No ccw needed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Legal or not that's what I've been doing for years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. When ccw passed in MO your car is basically just like your house so no license needed concealed or not.

With the OP being from out of state though I'm not sure, but I don't see why it would matter.

Any LEO's or anyone else in here know if it matters if you are a resident?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. When ccw passed in MO your car is basically just like your house so no license needed concealed or not.

With the OP being from out of state though I'm not sure, but I don't see why it would matter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't matter to me. Your vehicle, State law, have a nice day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#20]
571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or

so - the statute starts off by saying its illegal.  There are a whole list of exemptions,  but the important ones are:
3. Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older or eighteen years of age or older and a member of the United States Armed Forces, or honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces, transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state.

and

4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry permit issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121, a valid concealed carry endorsement issued before August 28, 2013, or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

Bottom line:  handgun concealed in vehicle OK with or without CCW,  loaded or unloaded, if over 21.  Long gun concealed in car OK with CCW,  or if unloaded and ammo not accessible,  or if not readily accessible,  or if traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state.  Long gun loaded concealed in car w/o CCW and journey non continuous = class D felony.  Long gun NOT concealed is legal regardless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top