Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2014 7:35:04 PM EDT
So, I was leaving  a local area healthcare facility on Wednesday, and was passed in the lot by an old crown vic with them on the trunk as he leisurely drove through the lot.  I thought, WTF?  No markings on this old shitty crown vic.  No uniform on the driver and car had MO plates, facility was in KS.  Anyone care to enlighten me on these?  I thought they are strictly LEO tool.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought there were a few chosen civilians that were paid to drive around with them. Not sure if they are paid by the " hit" or how it worked...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure I know kcmo has them. What you saw may have been a contract unit.which I know nothing about...OR you saw fed.

What I mean is kcmo has them and you would know its a marked PD tag.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#3]
http://sewelldirect.com/License-Plate-Recognition-UVSS1.asp?gclid=CPiklcLa670CFa_m7AodqnYALQ

Just bought a few of these, who says I cant use them on my driveway?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, and skip tracers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably a repo company.

The units cost in the tens of thousands if dollars just FYI.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:14:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, probably repo guys. They cruise malls, apartment complexs, and other high traffic/probability areas. There's an outfit her in MO that not only has them on cars, but at least on one wrecker truck. When the economy went tilt, the repro biz blew up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I have seen one driving around the mall lots in indp on a beat up black acord.  

Also kcmo has them and at least quite a few.  They were parking 4-7 patrol cars in the triangle dailythe past week or so.  Both the cars and explorers all had the plate system on them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Could be all of the above, as well as college kids hired to run them as well.  The company who the MOPCA has selected as their designated format uses college kids and similar part time employees to drive cars equipped with LPR's.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Noticed an unmarked black Crown Vic cruising So. City yesterday.

Also noticed a well marked STL city car cruising around the Benton Park neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Thx for all the input, makes sense on the repo man.  It had regular MO plate, not the PD style plate, but UC cars have standard plates.

Heard about this on radio today

With him being a lawyer and getting stopped, what are the ramifications?  I'm torn on them......
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, I was leaving  a local area healthcare facility on Wednesday, and was passed in the lot by an old crown vic with them on the trunk as he leisurely drove through the lot.  I thought, WTF?  No markings on this old shitty crown vic.  No uniform on the driver and car had MO plates, facility was in KS.  Anyone care to enlighten me on these?  I thought they are strictly LEO tool.
View Quote

All the explanations sound good but my guess would be that they were looking for the KC highway shooter.

Police: GPS tracking, bizarre behavior, tips led to suspect's capture
Posted: Apr 18, 2014 4:58 PM CST Updated: Apr 18, 2014 8:53 PM CST
By Laura McCallister, Multimedia Producer

April 10: The License Plate Reader picked up the Illinois license plate at Red Bridge and Holmes and it was on a green four-door compact car, later specified as a Dodge Neon. KCTV5 saw that officers were using license plate readers in this area at this time.

Link to Police: GPS tracking, bizarre behavior, tips led to suspect's capture
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top