Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2008 12:29:07 PM EDT
What are the laws regarding transporting a firearm in Missouri? Specifically, I am going to traveling across the state, staying in St. Louis for one night and then traveling back. I am planning on taking my AMD-65, a couple loaded mags, and a handgun.

I have a FL non-resident CHL.

Does MO accept FL non-resident CHLs?

Are folding stock AKs under 30" considered handguns or long guns?

Are there laws mandating that long guns must be unloaded and cased and that ammo be stored separately?

Any other gotchas I might not have thought of?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You are good to go on the CCW of a handgun in Missouri.  Missouri accepts ALL CCW permits issued by other states.

As for as the AMD, IF my understanding is correct, with a CCW you may also have that in the passenger compartment of your car.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What are the laws regarding transporting a firearm in Missouri? Specifically, I am going to traveling across the state, staying in St. Louis for one night and then traveling back. I am planning on taking my AMD-65, a couple loaded mags, and a handgun.

Are there laws mandating that long guns must be unloaded and cased and that ammo be stored separately?

I'm sure someone will have better answers for you, but here's mine.

1. Missouri accepts all states permits.

2. Not sure, but I would assume it's a rifle here.

3. Here are the rules.
Transportation of Firearms

Generally, any person who carries a concealed firearm without a valid "concealed carry endorsement" is criminally liable for the crime of unlawful use of weapons, a felony. Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.030. See the discussion of the endorsement under "Concealed Weapons Licensing Requirements" below. This prohibition does not apply if any of the following is true:

* The firearm is not readily accessible;

* The firearm is transported in a nonfunctioning state;

* The firearm is unloaded, and ammunition for the firearm is not readily accessible;

* The person is age 21 or older and is transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed;

* In addition to the concealed firearm, the person is in possession of an exposed firearm for the lawful pursuit of game;

* The person is in his or her dwelling unit or upon premises over which he or she has possession, authority or control; or

* The person is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through Missouri.

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

3. Here are the rules.

Generally, any person who carries a concealed firearm without a valid "concealed carry endorsement" is criminally liable for the crime of unlawful use of weapons, a felony. Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.030. See the discussion of the endorsement under "Concealed Weapons Licensing Requirements" below. This prohibition does not apply if any of the following is true:

* The firearm is unloaded, and ammunition for the firearm is not readily accessible;

* The person is age 21 or older and is transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed;

* In addition to the concealed firearm, the person is in possession of an exposed firearm for the lawful pursuit of game;

* The person is in his or her dwelling unit or upon premises over which he or she has possession, authority or control; or

So anyone 21 or older who legally owns a concealable firearm can have it concealed in the passenger compartment of their vehicle?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So anyone 21 or older who legally owns a concealable firearm can have it concealed in the passenger compartment of their vehicle?

Yes.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3. Here are the rules.

yeah
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if you'll be traveling through Kansas, but IIRC, Kansas only accepts CCW's if you are a resident of the state that issued your permit.  If you live in Texas and have a Florida permit - they won't honor it.  That was the big deal with getting a Missouri CCW permit for me, being that I live so close to the Kansas border and am frequently over there.

Just thought I'd throw that out there if someone else already hadn't.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't know if you'll be traveling through Kansas, but IIRC, Kansas only accepts CCW's if you are a resident of the state that issued your permit.  If you live in Texas and have a Florida permit - they won't honor it.  That was the big deal with getting a Missouri CCW permit for me, being that I live so close to the Kansas border and am frequently over there.

Just thought I'd throw that out there if someone else already hadn't.

Nope. Texas > Oklahoma > Missouri.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#8]
And, for a bit of history:

Your exact situation here is why MO has CCW now!  Out of state travelers were always okay to pass through the state with loaded firearms in the vehicle, while us residents of MO had to have the gun locked in a compartment, and ammo locked in a seperate compartment.  

So, we were able to amend some laws to allow us residents to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle, and at that point it was kind of silly to not introduce some CCW stuff as well.  It all went down pretty cool, actually, and I'm not describing it well enough.

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

It can even be carried on their person.  It falls under our (MO) "Peaceable Journey" law.  

Ah...Missouri is such a nice place to live now with all the nice legislation we've had.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:46:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

But this only applies to "conealable weapons" right? Am I wrong to assume that the law does NOT allow you to keep a loaded shotgun or rifle within easy access in the passenger compartment?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

But this only applies to "conealable weapons" right? Am I wrong to assume that the law does NOT allow you to keep a loaded shotgun or rifle within easy access in the passenger compartment?

Legal definition of a "concealable weapon" in MO:
(4) "Concealable firearm", any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, measured from the face of the bolt or standing breech;

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

(4) "Concealable firearm", any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, measured from the face of the bolt or standing breech;

Does that mean that those of us that have legal SBRs can keep them up front with us?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Does that mean that those of us that have legal SBRs can keep them up front with us?

LOL, I am not a lawyer or a LEO, nor did I say in a Holiday Inn Express.  I can see how one would reach that conclusion.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

I don't know if you are being facetious or not, but SBR's are considered SBR's, not concealable firearms.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

I don't know if you are being facetious or not, but SBR's are considered SBR's, not concealable firearms.

Define concealable firearm as its understood in MO law???
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Define concealable firearm as its understood in MO law???

There you go.  It's in the law, it is what it says it is.

ETA: here's the link to the chapter on weapons law.  The only weapons law not in this chapter is "bus hijacking" which is defined as bringing any firearm on a bus, regardless of intent.  Chapter 571

ETA2: It appears that an SBR would be considered both a rifle and a concealable weapon, therefore it would be legal to have loaded in the passenger compartment.

I can't find anything in the law that forbids carrying a loaded long gun in your vehicle.  I'll check the hunting regulations, it may be that it's restricted for hunting purposes (to make poaching more difficult, etc.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#18]
A year or two ago, some asshat at the MHP Troop D headquarters told me "You can't have any type of firearm concealed in your vehicle, or on your person in your vehicle...you have to have it unloaded and in plain sight" when I asked "As a missouri resident, can I keep my loaded XD-45 in my glove compartment or center console while driving?".  Couldn't be more of a false answer, especially considering the pamphlets THEY hand out say it's legal.

Is there a proper/legal way of transporting my AR?  Do I have to have it unloaded and in a case, separate from the ammo?  Does the rifle HAVE to be in a case, or in the trunk?  I'm talking within-state driving, from home to the range for example.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I can't find anything in the law that forbids carrying a loaded long gun in your vehicle.  

I've never seen anything in the Missouri statutes that would indicate that carrying/having a loaded long gun in the vehicle would be illegal, either.  Has anybody??
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Couldn't find anything in the hunting regulations about it either.

As far as I can tell, from looking through both the law and the hunting regulations, it is completely legal to have any long gun loaded in your vehicle with no restrictions.  And any concealable weapon (including handguns and SBR/SBS/AOW) may be concealed in your vehicle or on your person while in your vehicle if you are over 21 and not a prohibited person.

That isn't to say that you couldn't be arrested and have your guns confiscated, until they can't find a crime to charge you with.  But then again, there's nothing stopping any rogue cop from doing the same thing to you for legally carrying your handgun with your CCW license.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#21]
The only problem here is it is illegal to conceal a non-concealable firearm without a CCW in your vehicle.

So,  a 16" folding-stock rifle or a 18" pistol-grip pump could be concealed in the vehicle and be a violation IF you had no CCW and did not fall under the peaceable journey or other exemptions.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Not that anyone would do this BUT...remember that you cannot possess a firearm while intoxicated, CCW permit or not.

As I understand and apply the MO laws in question, you can have any otherwise legal firearm (ie not an unregistered SBR/SBS/MG, SN obliterated, stolen, etc.) in the passenger compartment of your vehicle, loaded and concealed, if you wish.  Once you exit your vehicle you must open carry a pistol in a holster or have it concealed with a CCW permit.  

It would be foolish to carry around a loaded (or with a magazine inserted and no round chambered) rifle or shotgun unless hunting or at a range because it could be considered BRANDISHING a weapon (assault by causing FEAR of injury).

My recommendation would be to NOT try and push the limits of the law for no good reason.  Unless you have a legitimate reason for wanting to have a loaded rifle in the passenger compartment of your vehicle, why not put the mags/ammo in a different bag than the rifle?  

Clear as mud, I'm sure.  I just wouldn't risk arrest and seizure of my goodies because of a LEO's, or your, misunderstanding of the law.  Arrest is one thing, conviction is another, I know.  It just does not seem worth it to test the bounds for giggles.  Just my opinion and you are free to disagree.
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 2:28:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I usually open carry my XD-45(mag loaded and inserted, empty chamber), and conceal in my glove box or center console while driving(same).  Plenty of local officers know about it, and some have seen it during various traffic stops(usually no front plate, trademark thing to do for us Honda guys), and they usually don't say anything unless they happen to have an XD and want to talk pistols with me for a few minutes.

As for transporting rifles/shotguns, I usually lay them out in the backseat unloaded.  I never really have mags/ammo in the car at the same time, mainly because the only time I need to transport a long gun is when I need to hit up the local shop for work or parts.  Back in the day when I went to the range, ammo and mags were in 50cal cans and stored in the trunk away from the firearms to avoid any possible problems...which reminds me that I need to start hunting for a good range bag, and a carry case for my AR.
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
various traffic stops(usually no front plate, trademark thing to do for us Honda guys) . . .

what's up with that?

Link Posted: 11/23/2008 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, the biggest reason is that we don't want to drill holes in our bumpers.  Usually if you buy a nice bumper, or buy a japanese version of the oem bumper...throwing a plate on it ruins it.  Some people have revised a license plate relocation bracket which solves this problem, but not everyone wants to spend the few bucks...so they toss the plate up in the windshield.

On the other hand, I guess it's just a trend among import owners, has been for a long time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#26]
It has always been my understanding that a rifle or shotgun (A non-concealable firearm) by defintion can not be concealed therefore rendering any charge of that sort moot.
However, if a cop gets pissy enough they can stop/arrest/charge you with anything they damn well please. Sure it may be bogus and get thrown out as soon as a prosecutor/judge sees it but by then how much time and money are you out of and do you think it is any skin off the cops back?
It is my understanding in certain areas (St. Louis) having a gun in sight is brandishing. Stupid but what do you expect from them? Out state I don't think anyones cares if your deer rifle (Fudd type 30-30 or equivalent) is laying across your seat. Of course a M4 w/beta mag in the rear window might get you pulled over for a few questions but hey, your decision if you want to do that.
I have carried loaded long guns in my vehicles many times. I also have a CCW permit. I don't do anything to get pulled over anymore either. If I do I believe a respectful demeanor and adult attitude (on both side of the door) should resolve any problem with out any f-you/f-me play time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not that anyone would do this BUT...remember that you cannot possess a firearm while intoxicated, CCW permit or not.

As I understand and apply the MO laws in question, you can have any otherwise legal firearm (ie not an unregistered SBR/SBS/MG, SN obliterated, stolen, etc.) in the passenger compartment of your vehicle, loaded and concealed, if you wish.  Once you exit your vehicle you must open carry a pistol in a holster or have it concealed with a CCW permit.  

It would be foolish to carry around a loaded (or with a magazine inserted and no round chambered) rifle or shotgun unless hunting or at a range because it could be considered BRANDISHING a weapon (assault by causing FEAR of injury).

My recommendation would be to NOT try and push the limits of the law for no good reason.  Unless you have a legitimate reason for wanting to have a loaded rifle in the passenger compartment of your vehicle, why not put the mags/ammo in a different bag than the rifle?  

Clear as mud, I'm sure.  I just wouldn't risk arrest and seizure of my goodies because of a LEO's, or your, misunderstanding of the law.  Arrest is one thing, conviction is another, I know.  It just does not seem worth it to test the bounds for giggles.  Just my opinion and you are free to disagree.

I am certain that the exemption for concealing weapons inside the vehicle only applies to concealable guns.  A loaded, concealed long gun within a vehicle without a CCW is a crime in Missouri.  So is a blackjack, knife >4", etc.  The law could not be more clear.

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or
3. Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state.

I am not a lawyer,  but I remember researching this years ago and I believe I was able to find cases where people were successfully prosecuted for concealing a non-concealable weapon.  That said,  it is highly unlikely that, unless you were doing something else really wrong, a prosecutor would want to charge you with this crime.
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Missouri law measures with the stock unfolded, like Federal law.  I understand why you would ask ("MOTOWN_steve"), as Michigan law measures with the stock folded and many federally legal AMD-65 semi-autos are illegal SBRs in Michigan.

Link Posted: 11/24/2008 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am certain that the exemption for concealing weapons inside the vehicle only applies to concealable guns.  A loaded, concealed long gun within a vehicle without a CCW is a crime in Missouri.  So is a blackjack, knife >4", etc.  The law could not be more clear.

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or
3. Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state.

I am not a lawyer,  but I remember researching this years ago and I believe I was able to find cases where people were successfully prosecuted for concealing a non-concealable weapon.  That said,  it is highly unlikely that, unless you were doing something else really wrong, a prosecutor would want to charge you with this crime.

I won't argue either way.  I can say, however, that it is POSSIBLE to get escape conviction for having a loaded rifle in a case that you open and are fondling the rifle behind your seat when a LEO contacts you.  Additionally, it is still possible to escape conviction to do this while intoxicated, with open alcohol containers in your vehicle, with you pants undone, at a school bus stop, and in the area of your recently estranged wife while driving on a suspended license.  Your Mileage will most certainly Vary!

Oh yeah, you also get your rifle back too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top