Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2017 12:10:07 PM EDT
Ladies & Gentlemen:

It's likely that I will be coming to Birmingham for a 6 month contract for a local financial institution.  I'd really appreciate any local wisdom you may choose to share on the following topics:

1.  Best areas in or around Birmingham for transient housing?  I'd be looking for a studio/1BR furnished apartment, preferably close to city center so I'd be able to walk to work.  If you have any sense of the rents that'd be great.  To contrast if I was looking for a 1 bedroom in downtown Boston, current rental rates are $2 - $3K/month.

2.  In my travels I've found that all cities have good and bad areas.  Any advice on general geographic areas in Birmingham to avoid at all costs would be welcome.

In MA everything is illegal unless it's specifically permitted under law (hyperbole, but pretty close to the truth).  With that said, here's my last question:

After some admittedly brief research, it appears that as a non-resident of AL I may not have in my possession firearms of any type.  Further, the data I've seen indicates that there are no provisions under AL law for the issuance of non-resident CCW permits.  While I actually have an unrestricted CCW here in MA (these are rare enough to be considered urban myths) MA refuses to allow reciprocity with other states, so my home state permit is not valid in AL.

Comments, clarifications and warnings all gratefully accepted.

TIA for sharing your local knowledge.

Update#1
Thanks for the info on the permit situation.  Among other interests I'd really like to do a little hog hunting if I'm successful in obtaining this contract.

If I CCW, is AL a "duty to inform" state?  If I have an interaction with LE, I certainly want to do the right thing.  I'll check the provided citation so I may educate myself on places I'm permitted to carry - thanks.

Update #2

Contract successfully bid and awarded.  I'm a software engineering consultant and I'll be doing work for Regions at their office in Hoover, AL, about 16 mi. SE of Birmingham center via I-65.  (According to Bing maps)

Does this constitute OTM?  Any further thoughts on housing in that area?

Contract starts in early June.  Once I get settled in I'll be looking for a range.  Suggestions?

Once again, TIA for your assistance.

Update #3
If we were able to meet for lunch at some point that'd be great.  It'd be a pleasure to meet all y'all (did I get that right?)

Arrangements are moving forward and I'm hoping to secure housing this week and avoid a hotel stay.

Has anyone been out to the new CMP ranges?  I looked at their web site and the facility appears state of the art.

Thanks for your very kind assistance.  It's threads like this that are the essence of ARF and show the members at their best.

Update #4

OK - I've arrived in Birmingham.  Getting the contract kicked off and getting settled into an apartment.
I've tried 2 BBQ places for takeout dinner since my arrival - Jim & Nick's and The Golden Rule.  Unimpressed.  If this is representative of good deep South 'Q, I'm doomed.  As the saying goes, help me ARFCOM you're my only hope.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Which FI?  Some of us work (or have worked) at the two big ones in Birmingham.

Both Regions and BBVA are close enough together to pull from the same apartments.  Currently Birmingham is undergoing a building trend and a lot of people are moving back in.

Here are some new ones that just went up:  Bell Apartments

Other ones: Liv on 5th

Those are really just scraping the top, there are tons of others.

Most of Birmingham is OK from a crime standpoint but you'll still want to stay alert.  Areas West and North of Birmingham are tolerable during daylight but the closer it gets to night, the more thugs come out.  The areas around the airport are questionable (NE of Birmingham).  

Always keep your head on a swivel in Birmingham.  There are a lot of entitled thugs out there and they can pop up anywhere.

Avondale (East of Birmingham) is up and coming, full of young people and is undergoing a revitalization.  Anything over the mountain is safe.  OTM communities are patrolled by the local gestapo.  The communities out there have little patience for the BS that comes out of Bham.

Don't let me give you the wrong idea.  It's a nice place to live.  Glad to have you.  Welcome to the 'ham
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no cop or lawyer but the way I understand it is that if you have a permit from any state, it is honored in AL.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm no cop or lawyer but the way I understand it is that if you have a permit from any state, it is honored in AL.
View Quote
What he said. Alabama honors permits from all states.  Alabama Code 13A-11-61.2, especially paragraph (b), pretty much tells you where you can and can't carry.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the Phoenix apartment building near Regions Park still operating? I know how stuff around town gets bought, sold, or changes direction.

If you were to want to venture out, id stay away from the eastern area of 8th Ave S called South Town. Large public housing area. You'll be fine around the Highlands area back around 5 Points. I believe there's a few apartment buildings there.

Lots of great restaurants and bars around the town without going to a metro area.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you'll be working in the riverchase parkway area. Its a good area of town. I would stay close to there just for convenience, but almost all apartments in the area just attract a less desirable demographic.  

Your range options are limited. The best range  in the area is a club range (brocks gap), but they have frequent matches of various types non-club members can participate in for cheap.  A couple of other options include Double tap is in calera (25 minutes or so) and an indoor range in Hoover at Hoover Tactical Firearms.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]
CMP South isn't that far away, just under an hour if you go 459 North to 20 East to exit 168.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:10:25 AM EDT
[#8]
There is no duty to inform.  On the rare occasion i do ever get pulled over (once a decade....yeah, i drive like an old man) i put my licence, tag receipt and pistol permit in my left hand, on the driver door (right on steering wheel) as a courtesy for the officer's convenience  and peace of mind.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 1:41:30 AM EDT
[#9]
No idea what your hobbies might be, but if you enjoy outdoor pursuits the region is great.  Close is Oak Mountain state park. Biking, hiking, camping and fishing.  Cheaha State park and the surrounding Talladega Nat Forest is one my favorites. Also some of the best bass fishing in the US string the Coosa, Tallapoosa, Cahaba, Warrior and Tennessee rivers and tribs. Sugar sand beaches are only five hours south.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Stay out of Birmingham and hang south of town. Don't  worry about carrying a weapon. No one cares if you carry if you aren't a criminal. Birmingham is a $hithole generally. I freaking hate the place and I unfortunately spent much of the past 30 years working there. The South in general is freaking awesome. Learn the rebel yell...
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Can't really add much about B'ham that hasn't already been said, but I just wanted to say welcome to Alabama.  If you want to come visit the Huntsville/north Alabama area some weekend after you get settled, hit me up.  

ETA:  Just re-read your original post and I see this is a 6 month contract starting in June.  You'll be here for football season.  Oh boy, are you in for a treat!  
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool. We will have to grab lunch en masse (Hometown) group to welcome you to the 'ham.

Who is up for lunch?
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cool. We will have to grab lunch en masse (Hometown) group to welcome you to the 'ham.

Who is up for lunch?
View Quote
Count me in!
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Count me in!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is up for lunch?
Count me in!
I am if it's on a Wednesday or Friday. Have obligations the other days for coaching.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#15]
The CMP range is fantastic. I love it there.

That reminds me I need to get a new scope for my 700 in .308 and stretch its legs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to the 'hood OP.
I've been up here for 6 years having moved from Montgomery for work.
Had an apartment in Hoover for the first contract, went full time and bought a house in Alabaster.
It's a drive, but it's so quiet and dark in my neighborhood at night.... it's worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top