Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2016 1:35:46 PM EDT
We've given PLENTY of advance notice.  Heres what was sent to Martha Roby via their form from her DC website:

Number of Attendees: 3
Duration of Meeting: 30 minutes

Subject of Meeting: We are taking 6th grade daughter to DC, would like our family to briefly meet our Rep.
Meeting Details:
We are trying to get our daughter as interested in following politics (and even getting involved) as much as we are. We will be touring DC during week of Mon Apr 24, 2017 and Fri Apr 30, 2017, so any time in there is good. We'd also like a discussion about the differences between republicans and democrats in context of the big "reversal" that happened a few decades ago.
View Quote

(also sent same thing to Shelby & Sessions)

Now to get the school to sign off on excused absence for 1 week.  This trip will coincide with the school's 6th grade trip to DC.  No way am I gonna ride in a bus with a bunch of smelly kids back and forth to DC, and do their plan.  My plan includes flying there, a trip to white house, pentagon, and meeting at least 1 of our 3 reps.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

We've given PLENTY of advance notice.  Heres what was sent to Martha Roby via their form from her DC website:

Number of Attendees: 3

Duration of Meeting: 30 minutes

Subject of Meeting: We are taking 6th grade daughter to DC, would like our family to briefly meet our Rep.

Meeting Details:

We are trying to get our daughter as interested in following politics (and even getting involved) as much as we are. We will be touring DC during week of Mon Apr 24, 2017 and Fri Apr 30, 2017, so any time in there is good. We'd also like a discussion about the differences between republicans and democrats in context of the big "reversal" that happened a few decades ago.
View Quote

(also sent same thing to Shelby & Sessions)

Now to get the school to sign off on excused absence for 1 week.  This trip will coincide with the school's 6th grade trip to DC.  No way am I gonna ride in a bus with a bunch of smelly kids back and forth to DC, and do their plan.  My plan includes flying there, a trip to white house, pentagon, and meeting at least 1 of our 3 reps.
View Quote
Honest answer?  Even if she is in town her schedule will be slammed from 7a to 9p.  Sucks but it is the reality.  Doesn't mean she will have 0 time, but it may only be 5 minutes.

Also, the end of April beginning of May this year was a district week (as opposed to a D.C. week) for members.  First full week of May 2015 was the district work week.

You have a IM.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honest answer?  Even if she is in town her schedule will be slammed from 7a to 9p.  Sucks but it is the reality.  Doesn't mean she will have 0 time, but it may only be 5 minutes.

Also, the end of April beginning of May this year was a district week (as opposed to a D.C. week) for members.  First full week of May 2015 was the district work week.

You have a IM.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have a IM.

yeah my hope is that given enough advance notice, we can work something out.  assuming she will even be in DC that week.  but really, 5 mins would be ok too.  but heres what I just got from her office:

Mr. LinkedM4,

We would love to have y'all into the office while you are visiting DC. The House Calendar for next year has not been released yet, but as soon as it does I will be in touch about setting up a time to come in. Would you also be interested in a Capitol tour after your visit with Rep. Roby?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Margaret

Margaret Virden
Scheduler
U.S. Rep. Martha Roby (AL-02)
442 Cannon House Office Building
(202) 225-2901
http://roby.house.gov/

so looks good

Quoted:
Do you have your tickets for WH etc? I've heard those can some long wait times.

yeah I did some research, and WH and Capitol tours have to be set up from one of your Reps, so will def be taking one of them up on it.  Heres the itenerary list we've sent to the school to request excused absence so we can tour her there ourselves:

After attending the first meeting for the Washington DC 6th grade trip, my husband and I reviewed the planned itinerary and see some places we would like our daughter <redacted> to be able to experience that are not on the list.  Most notable in this list is a White House tour, a meeting with her Senators and House Representative, and the Pentagon tour.We plan to make this expanded itinerary happen for <redacted> by planning our own guided trip where we fly out and back; this will give us two entire extra days for <redacted> to have a fuller experience of Washington DC.  We would like for you to consider our itinerary and grant <redacted> excused absence to make this trip. Dates of our trip will be during the same week as the school's DC Trip. April 24-30, 2017. Here is a list of the places in our itinerary:
1.White House
2.Pentagon
3.Washington Monument
4.Holocaust Memorial
5.Iwo Jima Memorial
6.Arlington National Cemetery
7.National Archives
8.Smithsonian
a.Air & Space
b.Natural History
c.American History
9.Jefferson Memorial
10.Kennedy Center
11.US Capitol
12.Supreme Court
13.Meet w Senator/ State Representative.  We are already setting up appointments now with the Honorables Roby, Shelby, and Sessions.
14.Bureau of Printing and Engraving
15.US Mint
16.Lincoln Memorial
17.Vietnam Memorial
18.Korean Memorial
19.WWII Memorial
20.Mount Vernon
21.Georgetown Tour
We are a very politically-motivated family, and <redacted> does notice this.  We feel that <redacted> have a much richer experience with this expanded itinerary, especially with us personally guiding her.  Please grant this excused absence.
Sincerely,

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to shoot holes in your boat, but the WH tours typically have to be set up almost a yr in advance. My family and I have got shut out twice because of not enough advance notice ymmv.
Definately take your Rep up on the opportunity to set you up with a Capitol Tour. It will cut out the long lines of waiting on the regular public tour. Also, ask about Treasury, and Holocaust tickets, they are hard to get on your own.
Also, you just can't do DC without going across the river and spending the day at Arlington National Cemetery.
Good luck, have fun, the 2 summers my family spent up there were some of the best vacations we have ever had.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have any idea how much 30 min of face time is worth with a Rep in DC?

My kids' 8th grade classes only got a few minutes for a group photo with Sessions on the Capitol steps.

I wouldnt be holding my breath if I were you, despite the happy reply email.

I sure hope I'm wrong though.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
well just got an email from Sen Shelby's office, we got a meeting date/time with him.  Prob only a few mins and im sure we'll have to wait a bit even if we're on time.  hopefully they wont cancel though.

ill have to tell them thanks for that USAFA recommendation he gave me back in the early 90's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top