Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2016 5:10:18 PM EDT
Just got the word from my favorite FFL dealer, never saw this coming but good news.   Should simplify purchases with those dealers who know the rules and keep up with current practices (but that is not all of them unfortunately).

ATF open letter on AL CCW permits as NICS substitute
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Heard about it today.  As some of the horizontal lines in the document look weird, a friend called the ATF to confirm authenticity.

It's GTG.  Not sure how Alabama will react to it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Freakin Awesome.

That is great news!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, this makes our life easier. Bring on your transfers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#5]
+1!
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
For those of us that always get NICS delayed, this is a big improvement.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#7]
This is good news.  The last several purchases I have been delayed.  It sucks to think you going home with a new toy only to be delayed again.

I am a little surprised considering most of the permits I have seen are simply a piece of paper with no picture on it.  Lets face it, it wouldn't be difficult to forge a permit.  My non resident Florida permit is more like a drivers license with a picture and florescent water marks.  Last year when I accidently let my drivers license expire I used my Florida permit to get through airport security.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is good news.  The last several purchases I have been delayed.  It sucks to think you going home with a new toy only to be delayed again.

I am a little surprised considering most of the permits I have seen are simply a piece of paper with no picture on it.  Lets face it, it wouldn't be difficult to forge a permit.  My non resident Florida permit is more like a drivers license with a picture and florescent water marks.  Last year when I accidently let my drivers license expire I used my Florida permit to get through airport security.
View Quote

Current one in my county has the card holder's picture on it.  Ones issues about 3-4 years ago were simpler, but pics on there now.

jd1
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:39:57 AM EDT
[#9]
It hasn't been that long ago I got mine renewed and there is no picture on it.  Either way is still printed on a computer and just paper.  They will laminate it if you ask.

It a great thing I'm just a little surprised they didn't require a little more protection from forgeries.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#10]
News reports claim our attorney general asked for this letter from the ATF.

Very happy.  :)
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh yeah......
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Luther seems like a by the book guy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#13]
awesome!
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
He did.

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder how "non-resident" CCW licenses (ostensibly issued within the last five years) qualify?

Back when this Brady Law provision kicked in, our issuing authority ran a check on us and issued a "card" certifying that we'd been checked....BATFE wouldn't accept them because they weren't Licenses; our Licenses take months to years to obtain, but are good for life, or at least they used to be before the fuckwad Govonor Cuomo stuck the un-SAFE act up our asses....sorry to run off on a tangent.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a FFL and still got "delayed" until I got a UPIN number:  another pain in the ass, but it get the check done and over.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well Luther came through for us on this but I'm still no big fan.  Lets don't forget he refused to do anything about the no gun signs at rest areas until the Governor stepped in and then all the sudden he stood up and did something about it.  He has also very loosely enforcing the advance security section of the last rewrite of our gun laws.  If they meet any of the requirements he will not do anything about it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Do we know which FFLs are in the know? This is great news!
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
We are...

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#20]
anyone done this yet? im in the market for a couple anderson lowers...
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We are...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are...  

Me Too
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#23]
My dad bought a lower today at Top Dollar Pawn in Guntersville.

He still had to fill out the paperwork because they said they won't accept the pistol permit because "its State not Federal"
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:....He still had to fill out the paperwork "
View Quote

this has no bearing on the paperwork, you will always have to fill out a form 4473, it is just that they can fill in the information about your AL pistol permit in the NICS section and let you walk out with it instead of calling it in or filling out the on line version of the NICS background check and making you wait on an approved status
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up.

My misunderstanding
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 2:51:16 AM EDT
[#27]
This makes my life so much easier. A lot of good guys get delayed for no reason. Should be able to make more money as well.

I would say about half my transactions since the 23rd have been NICS exempt.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Alabama just keeps getting better!  This sort of progress was definately a factor in my decision to move here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#29]
One snafu, some of the county sheriffs failed to put the issue date on permits, which is required.  So the dealer still has to submit a background check, if your permit does not have an issue date.  If you do have an issue date, they have to record the purchase including the information about the firearm(s) purchased.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One snafu, some of the county sheriffs failed to put the issue date on permits, which is required.  So the dealer still has to submit a background check, if your permit does not have an issue date.  If you do have an issue date, they have to record the purchase including the information about the firearm(s) purchased.
View Quote

Thats odd. The 4473 says "Issue Date (If Applicable)"

Seems to me that it doesnt matter if there is an issue date on it.

Dunno.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Seems to me that it doesnt matter if there is an issue date on it..
View Quote

It was actually the ATF letter that stipulated specifically for Alabama permits it had to be issued after the date of our 2013 concealed carry law came into effect.   Before that date, the Sheriff's were not in any way required to run a background check before issuing a permit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It was actually the ATF letter that stipulated specifically for Alabama permits it had to be issued after the date of our 2013 concealed carry law came into effect.   Before that date, the Sheriff's were not in any way required to run a background check before issuing a permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems to me that it doesnt matter if there is an issue date on it..

Yeah, but IIRC, there was no option for a permit for more than 1 year before 2013 either.  In that case, a valid AL permit would by definition be issued after 2013
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah, but IIRC, there was no option for a permit for more than 1 year before 2013 either.  In that case, a valid AL permit would by definition be issued after 2013
View Quote

Yes of course, but don't try to apply simple logic to the things spewed by a Federal Agency, you could loose your mind.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

[s][/s]
Just bought a Pistol at Simmons in Bessemer and they know. I gave them my Bibb County Pistol Permit and way quicker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top