Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2015 7:34:26 PM EDT
I have a concealed carry license (Alabama) but I want to know if I can still open carry, too. I can wear a larger weapon holstered outside of my clothing better than a smaller piece under cover. What is the law please Alabama law enforcement members.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It is legal to open carry with or without a CCW.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
There is No Law allowing or denying open carry so it is Legal to open carry.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I just wanted to make absolutely sure that I don't get my CCW suspended because I wasn't "concealing" my weapon properly by open carrying.  I worry a lot!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Was never clear on this but does a CC permit in Alabama allow open carry in a vehicle?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was never clear on this but does a CC permit in Alabama allow open carry in a vehicle?
View Quote

If you open carry in a Vehicle, many sheriffs consider it concealed so you need a CCP.  That's not my view and I will leave the argument there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just wanted to make absolutely sure that I don't get my CCW suspended because I wasn't "concealing" my weapon properly by open carrying.  I worry a lot!!
View Quote

At one time some Sheriffs said that if you had a CCP, then you could only carry concealed.  That was never the opinion of the State and lots of fussing ensued.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I do both in Shelby county with no problems. The kicker when someone replies that you don't need anything to open carry in Alabama ( which is true ) is that unless you walk everywhere you go, as soon as you get into your vehicle, it is considered concealed and trouble will ensue if you don't have a license.

Since the OP has a license, then he should be covered on all fronts. Just be careful when you get accustomed to that weapon hanging on your belt, that you don't carry openly in a state where it's not allowed.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]
With all the ISIS crap going on, I just have this feeling I need to carry more firepower than I've got with a 7 round G43.  I'd like to carry my G20 with 16 rounds of 10mm.  I've just been afraid that I'd screw up and lose my concealed carry permit.    
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
With all the ISIS crap going on, I just have this feeling I need to carry more firepower than I've got with a 7 round G43.  I'd like to carry my G20 with 16 rounds of 10mm.  I've just been afraid that I'd screw up and lose my concealed carry permit.    
View Quote

The new(2 years ago) law makes it harder for Sheriffs to take away your CCP without a good reason.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you open carry in a Vehicle, many sheriffs consider it concealed so you need a CCP.  That's not my view and I will leave the argument there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull crap.  If you don't know what you're talking about, then you shouldn't say anything, especially when it's about the law.

Here it is in plain simple English, emphasis added:

Section 13A-11-73
Permit to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Required; possession of unloaded pistol in motor vehicle.

(a) Except on land under his or her control or in his or her own abode or his or her own fixed place of business, no person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his or her person without a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85.

(b) Except as otherwise prohibited by law, a person legally permitted to possess a pistol, but who does not possess a valid concealed weapon permit, may possess an unloaded pistol in his or her motor vehicle if the pistol is locked in a compartment or container that is in or affixed securely to the vehicle and out of reach of the driver and any passenger in the vehicle.
(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §175; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §3; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Acts 1956, 2nd Ex. Sess., No. 43, p. 336; Code 1975, §13-6-153; Act 2013-283, p. 938, §2.)

From here:  http://www.ago.state.al.us/Page-Alabama-Weapon-Law
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Bull crap.  If you don't know what you're talking about, then you shouldn't say anything, especially when it's about the law.

Section 13A-11-73
Permit to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Required; possession of unloaded pistol in motor vehicle.

(a) Except on land under his or her control or in his or her own abode or his or her own fixed place of business, no person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his or her person without a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85.

(b) Except as otherwise prohibited by law, a person legally permitted to possess a pistol, but who does not possess a valid concealed weapon permit, may possess an unloaded pistol in his or her motor vehicle if the pistol is locked in a compartment or container that is in or affixed securely to the vehicle and out of reach of the driver and any passenger in the vehicle.
(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §175; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §3; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Acts 1956, 2nd Ex. Sess., No. 43, p. 336; Code 1975, §13-6-153; Act 2013-283, p. 938, §2.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Section 13A-11-73

Yeah, I was gonna say its not an opinion thing, it is a written in the law thing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, I was gonna say its not an opinion thing, it is a written in the law thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Section 13A-11-73

Still doesn't change that they "Consider" it concealed.

And yes I know that the Sheriffs did that to control Blacks and protect their Revenue.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:56:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And yes I know that the Sheriffs did that to control Blacks and protect their Revenue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Section 13A-11-73

Oh, so you decided to ignore the fact that you're dead wrong and decided to double down on the stupidity.

Good choice.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh, so you decided to ignore the fact that you're dead wrong and decided to double down on the stupidity.

Good choice.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Section 13A-11-73

Good choice.  

Do you NOT have the Ability to Read?  I said that you DO need a CCP.  The reason that law was passed is that Many Sheriffs considered a gun to be "Concealed" if it is in a Vehicle.  You insisted on doubling down on the Stupid.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good choice.  
View Quote

He has to be trollin', bro.  He spoke from his ass and is now trying to argue semantics.  Even though his post was correct, it clearly implied that it's a subjective matter.

Either he refuses to admit his error, or he's trolling.  My guess is the latter.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He has to be trollin', bro.  He spoke from his ass and is now trying to argue semantics.  Even though his post was correct, it clearly implied that it's a subjective matter.

Either he refuses to admit his error, or he's trolling.  My guess is the latter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good choice.  

Evidently you are NOT up to speed on your History.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top