Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2015 2:04:03 PM EDT
I am in the process of building my first rifle.  I have been lucky; being patient and waiting for sales has allowed be to do it cheaply, but not quickly.  I want to make the effort to check the headspace, but I won't use the gauges enough to justify buying them.  Are there any gunsmiths in the Decatur area that would check the headspace for a reasonable price?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
There's not.  Closest is in Madison, Cullman and Huntsville.

What type of rifle?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm starting easy.  I'm building an AR.  I am trying to avoid buying a set of .223 gauges, but if the fee is too high or the drive is too far, I might as well pay the $70-$100 for the go/nogo gauges.  Any recommendations in any of the three cities?  They are all within 45 min. drive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
i've never checked the headspacing on any of my ARs .... just torqued the barrel nut down to about 30-40 lbs and shot them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
That is my plan B. My OCD is screaming for me to check it, but my barrel and bolt are new.  It's my last option, but it's an option.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Try Josh at Hamilton Armory.  He is a good distance from Decatur but he can probably help you out.  Just google Hamilton Armory or search for him on Facebook.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try Josh at Hamilton Armory.  He is a good distance from Decatur but he can probably help you out.  Just google Hamilton Armory or search for him on Facebook.
View Quote

Josh is a great guy to deal with, he is in Hazel Green, but if you ever need anything he'll bend over backwards to help you out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:26:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the tip. I work in Huntsville, so Hazel Green isn't too far a drive.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip. I work in Huntsville, so Hazel Green isn't too far a drive.
View Quote
If that doesn't work out shoot me a PM I'm fairly certain I have a set at work and can check it for you.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Jim Burke, he is just off 65 on 157 in Culman. His number is 256-736-5998
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top