Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2015 8:48:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Sam & Greg's pizza and gelato is good.  I Love Sushi is fantastic if you're a sushi fan.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for Sam & Greg's Pizza.  Kind of a liberal hipster type place, but I don't know many sit down pizza places that aren't anymore.  I prefer Phil Sandoval's over Rosie's (same company, but Phil's seems to have fresher food IMO).  If you want meat they just opened a Texas de Brazil at Bridgestreet Town Centre.  I hear it's great.

The Monaco is OK.  The food there is alright I suppose.  Decent sushi if you like that.  The restaraunt at the Monaco is called The Scene and it will be covered up by happy hour crowds that work on the base.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I just stopped by the new Larry's out by Greenbrier and I loved how big it is. Seemed to have similar stock and prices to the old Larry's with a lot more on the pawn side of things. If you are claustrophobic go to the new location. It's so nice not to be packed in nuts to butts.

I used Bowman's engraving to get my SBR done. No problems with their work. He does firearms pretty regularly it seems. I don't think they have the capability to do it "while you wait" though. Unless it's just really slow.

<link left dead> http://www.bowmansent.com/

Where are you staying at? I'm assuming you're coming up for AUSA? Depending on where you'll be at ill see if there's anything new that's opened up you should try for food.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, Bowman's was the one I was thinking of from that previous thread.

I have to be back up again next month overnight as well, so I will call before I leave and see if I can drop some things off for engraving this week and pick them up next month.

I'll be at the Embassy Suites, my symposium is at the VBC.  Not familiar with AUSA, but I am presenting two topics at the International Symposium on Child Abuse (at times, just as depressing as it sounds, unfortunately ).
View Quote

I've got a friend here locally that is attending that too. There's a huge Army exposition next week at the VBC so I thought you were talking about that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
1.  Larry's is the only gun shop worth going to unless you want to swing by Silent Industries and order some NFA toys

2.  ???

3.  Sam and Greg's is good and Pane e Vino Pizzeria is located under the north side of the Huntsville Museum of Art and is very good and would be within walking distance from your hotel.   This thread had a good sidebar on local BBQ joints.  Chuck Wagon, Gibsons, and Little Paul's I can speak for.  All are great.  

The Monaco in Bridge Street is a safe bet for a movie.  Valley Bend 18 in Jones Valley can be an option as well.  Avoid like the plague the Regal Hollywood 18
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Texas de Brazil recently opened near Monaco.  Much better food than The Scene.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The Prive (21+) upper area of Monaco is great. Even if you don't drink you can take food in with you. Large leather reclining seats too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You can take in food from elsewhere?  Don't have to buy at the theater?

If so, that sounds good to me.   Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Prive (21+) upper area of Monaco is great. Even if you don't drink you can take food in with you. Large leather reclining seats too.

You can take in food from elsewhere?  Don't have to buy at the theater?

If so, that sounds good to me.   Thanks.

I meant the theater's food. They have a full menu. It's not just popcorn and candy. http://www.sceneatmonaco.com/menu/

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]
dont forget The Blue Plate for breakfast.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
or Another Broken Egg

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#15]
City Cafe Diner, next to Cracker Barrel in Huntsville has a breakfast that you can't finish and it was good the last time that I went.  That was about a year ago.

Ruth's Chris is right there in the Embassy suites and I really like their food.  Their gumbo is very good, for a restaurant, and the steaks are good as well.

What days will you be in Huntsville? I met you at a shoot in Birmingham years ago. Maybe we could meet up for lunch. There are several ARFCOM knuckleheads in Huntsville to choose from.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

BTW, I called and spoke with Jerry at Bowman's earlier today, very nice, look forward to meeting him when I drop off some receivers tomorrow.

View Quote
He is a great guy.  He didn't like the way my SBR engraving looked, it looked fine to me, and refused to let me pay him.  I tried to give him half and he wouldn't take it.  My next SBR will be engraved by him and I'll throw the cash at him if I have to!

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Nah, breakfast comes with the room and the breakfast bar here is usually more than enough for me.  Then they serve us lunch at the symposium (VBC), and we have speakers each day whom I will want to hear.  But thanks, otherwise I'd be looking for a good breakfast/brunch place.

Supper is really the only meal I'll eat out each day.  Already have plans tomorrow night and I think I will see a movie and eat at the Monaco Wed. night and save Texas de Brazil for the next time the missus comes up with me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

or Another Broken Egg  

Nah, breakfast comes with the room and the breakfast bar here is usually more than enough for me.  Then they serve us lunch at the symposium (VBC), and we have speakers each day whom I will want to hear.  But thanks, otherwise I'd be looking for a good breakfast/brunch place.

Supper is really the only meal I'll eat out each day.  Already have plans tomorrow night and I think I will see a movie and eat at the Monaco Wed. night and save Texas de Brazil for the next time the missus comes up with me.

Conner's and Cantina Laredo are both in Bridgestreet.  Both are a lot better than The Scene that's in the theater.  Good call on waiting to bring Mrs. Shell with you for TdB.  Melting Pot is also in Bridgestreet and it's usually a hit with the SO's.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want to try a local pizza joint that's been around forever and is pretty good, try Big Ed's near University Dr and 231/431.  Pane e Vino as others have stated is very close to your hotel, very good pizza as well (same owner as Cotton Row and Commerce Kitchen below)

Connors has the best steak (the dry aged prime) in town, hands down, I've eaten there half a dozen or more times and it has been amazing every time.  Beats the heck out of Ruth any day.

The Brazilian steakhouse is good as well, but not as big as a Fogo de Chao or as many meat choices, they had 15 different cuts if I recall correctly.

Near walking distance to your hotel a very good restaurant is Cotton Row, a less "upscale" version of Cotton Row is at the opposite end of the building called Commerce Kitchen, they are both very good.

If you are into craft beers, within half a mile of your hotel is Below the Radar, and less than 3 miles away is Huntsville Brewery (on 801 Franklin Street), both have a massive number of taps of a lot of local beers (Huntsville Brewery has a lot more taps).

Best TX style BBQ is at ChuckWagon BBQ out near the Huntsville Airport.  They have absolutely the best brisket, ribs, and chicken in town.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Unless you get done early enough in the day, it might be a bit far, 30+plus miles or so, but Bama Pawn in Decatur and Mike's Gun and Pawn in Hartselle excellent.   JC's is nearby in Huntsville is worth a look as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Connors has the best steak (the dry aged prime) in town, hands down, I've eaten there half a dozen or more times and it has been amazing every time.  Beats the heck out of Ruth any day.

View Quote

Get the shrimp and grits.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Let me know how your engraving turns out with Bowman. I'd like to get one touched up that I impatiently took a dremel to sometime ago...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Let me know how your engraving turns out with Bowman. I'd like to get one touched up that I impatiently took a dremel to sometime ago...
View Quote
Bowman's does a good job.  They've done four receivers and a suppressor tube for me...

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I picked them up on my way back out of town and they were perfect, beautifully done and very fairly priced.

I'll never ship another engraving job out of state,  and I'll recommend him highly every chance I get.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bowman's does a good job.  They've done four receivers and a suppressor tube for me...  

I picked them up on my way back out of town and they were perfect, beautifully done and very fairly priced.

I'll never ship another engraving job out of state,  and I'll recommend him highly every chance I get.

Good to hear.  I'm planning to take him a lower tomorrow.  I actually started the other thread you were thinking about I believe, but I have never gotten around to taking the lower to him.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Good to hear.  I'm planning to take him a lower tomorrow.  I actually started the other thread you were thinking about I believe, but I have never gotten around to taking the lower to him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call first to make sure he is there.  I am not sure if the lady that works there knows how to fill out the log book and he will want to make sure he knows exactly what you want.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top