Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2015 9:57:47 AM EDT
Been lurking for quite awhile, and gained enough knowledge to build several AR's. I am changing out the hand guard, muzzle brake, and shaving the FSB on a S&W M&P-15 for a friend of mine. I know the taper pins are backwards from standard, and may require quite a bit of force to remove. I've beat on the pins with steel punches, and no good. I'd like to find a smith near Birmingham that could just punch the pins for me, preferably while I wait.

Nevermind, found someone after many phone calls.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Been lurking for quite awhile, and gained enough knowledge to build several AR's. I am changing out the hand guard, muzzle brake, and shaving the FSB on a S&W M&P-15 for a friend of mine. I know the taper pins are backwards from standard, and may require quite a bit of force to remove. I've beat on the pins with steel punches, and no good. I'd like to find a smith near Birmingham that could just punch the pins for me, preferably while I wait.

Nevermind, found someone after many phone calls.
View Quote

Yeah, taper pins are a major pain sometimes.

There are a few good resources on here if you still need someone.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The biggest issue I was running into yesterday was finding a smith that was actually working. Alabama Training Institute is down the street from where I work. Called them at lunch and asked if they had a smith. I was told he wasn't in yet. I drove there after work, and he doesn't work on Mondays. Called several other places, trying to stay on the east side of town, and finally ended up going to BPW. At least the price was right. I'll go home tonight and shave the gas block, and bring it into work in the morning to spray it.

ETA: tried using the search, but it doesn't search hometown threads
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The biggest issue I was running into yesterday was finding a smith that was actually working. Alabama Training Institute is down the street from where I work. Called them at lunch and asked if they had a smith. I was told he wasn't in yet. I drove there after work, and he doesn't work on Mondays. Called several other places, trying to stay on the east side of town, and finally ended up going to BPW. At least the price was right. I'll go home tonight and shave the gas block, and bring it into work in the morning to spray it.

ETA: tried using the search, but it doesn't search hometown threads
View Quote

Yeah, search is kinda wonky.

In the future, you can know that Hoover Tactical has a guy on here and a top notch gunsmith on staff (not just ARs too, the guy is amazing in what he can do on repairs and such for other guns. a true craftsman).

TS Arms in Pelham is also on here, and they are more than capable for anything you need for ARs.

And, as you found out, BPW is out there in Trussville.

There are all kinds of folks around here in the gun business.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, search is kinda wonky.

In the future, you can know that Hoover Tactical has a guy on here and a top notch gunsmith on staff (not just ARs too, the guy is amazing in what he can do on repairs and such for other guns. a true craftsman).

TS Arms in Pelham is also on here, and they are more than capable for anything you need for ARs.

And, as you found out, BPW is out there in Trussville.

There are all kinds of folks around here in the gun business.
View Quote

TS arms is a great bunch.  They are on my side of the mountain and i buy small parts there.    They won't pin a lo pro gas block so they really aren't capable for everything ar15.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top