Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2014 11:36:05 PM EDT
Looking to get into some SBR's and suppressor's here in the near future and I'm looking to go the trust route. I'm wanting to do my trust right the first go around so wanting to find someone that has experience making NFA Trust's in or around the Birmingham area. Anyone have any info?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#1]
drop me a line at [email protected] know a guy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Mitchell A Spears
804 Main St, Montevallo, AL 35115
(205) 665-5102
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply and info guys.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
........ I'm wanting to do my trust right the first go around ......
View Quote

I used one I downloaded from here, made my own changes, and had no issues.  The trust is yours, you can change the trust anytime once established by simply changing the document.  It's not permanently set in stone.  Have a kid and want to add him to the trust?  No problem, just add him, print and sign the trust, shred the old one, and the trust is changed.  I did have an AL lawyer look at mine once and he said there were no glaring issues with it and the ATF had no issues...  Save the money and use it for another tax stamp!

Only advice is to make a short trust name to make engraving easier.  "bob's nfa trust" or something equally short.  I see a lot of "bob's revocable living NFA firearms trust" or similar that can make finding a suitable spot for engraving difficult.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I used one I downloaded from here, made my own changes, and had no issues.  The trust is yours, you can change the trust anytime once established by simply changing the document.  It's not permanently set in stone.  Have a kid and want to add him to the trust?  No problem, just add him, print and sign the trust, shred the old one, and the trust is changed.  I did have an AL lawyer look at mine once and he said there were no glaring issues with it and the ATF had no issues...  Save the money and use it for another tax stamp!

Only advice is to make a short trust name to make engraving easier.  "bob's nfa trust" or something equally short.  I see a lot of "bob's revocable living NFA firearms trust" or similar that can make finding a suitable spot for engraving difficult.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
........ I'm wanting to do my trust right the first go around ......

You really need to go take this post to an Alabama trust/estates attorney and have him/her advise you on Alabama law.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You really need to go take this post to an Alabama trust/estates attorney and have him/her advise you on Alabama law.
View Quote

Why?  

It does what I need it to, it's legal, and I'm happy with it.  It's not magic.  Criminals file lawsuits and make their own court documents.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Mr. Spears did ours and I would recommend him to anyone.

My wife is an attorney (different type), is very picky, and had some specific uncommon demands for our trust... and she was pleased with his work for us, if that tells you anything.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mitchell A Spears
804 Main St, Montevallo, AL 35115
(205) 665-5102

Mr. Spears did ours and I would recommend him to anyone.

My wife is an attorney (different type), is very picky, and had some specific uncommon demands for our trust... and she was pleased with his work for us, if that tells you anything.  

This makes me feel good about using him. Im not to far from Montevallo so this would be a easy drive for me
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why?  

It does what I need it to, it's legal, and I'm happy with it.  It's not magic.  Criminals file lawsuits and make their own court documents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  

The attorney you go to will tell you why.

I can sit in a plane and push the controls.  Want to be on it when I try to land?  The criminal did the same with his forms and landed in jail.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:05:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

So I have to pay $300/hr to have a lawyer tell me why I need to pay him $300/hr?  The fact that you can't tell me why a lawyer is necessary... means you don't know why you say a lawyer is necessary.  Did you miss the part of my first post where I said a lawyer did look at mine after the fact and said no issues?  

OP: This discussion gets old fast, 1/2 have paid a lawyer and 1/2 have not.  You choose which works best for you.  All the ones you can find online have been used successfully already and all were made by a lawyer or some legal software(which is what a lawyer will use to make one "just for you").

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:10:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So I have to pay $300/hr to have a lawyer tell me why I need to pay him $300/hr?  The fact that you can't tell me why a lawyer is necessary... means you don't know why you say a lawyer is necessary.  Did you miss the part of my first post where I said a lawyer did look at mine after the fact and said no issues?  

OP: This discussion gets old fast, 1/2 have paid a lawyer and 1/2 have not.  You choose which works best for you.  All the ones you can find online have been used successfully already and all were made by a lawyer or some legal software(which is what a lawyer will use to make one "just for you").

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Won't.  Not can't.  I do not give free legal advice over the internet.... besides you may want to go see a lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:.... besides you may want to go see a lawyer.
View Quote

Why?  So I can pay him for "protection"?

Which part of "a lawyer already looked at it" did you miss?  Again, a lawyer said the one I used was adequate in his opinion.  I have no regrets having used a free trust from the internet and will continue using the same one that I have been.

OP: See, it never ends.  You decide what is the best route for you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Which part of "a lawyer already looked at it" did you miss?  Again, a lawyer said the one I used was adequate in his opinion.  I have no regrets having used a free trust from the internet and will continue using the same one that I have been.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're not paying for "protection".  After the consultation and s/he tells you what made him/her go WTF if your original post, you'd pay (maybe $200 at most) to have it corrected.  

Go back and read my posts.  Very carefully.  I have never said what is the issue in your post.  You are making assumptions to what it is.  

I've tried to help.  Do what you will with that.

On a side note. There's a handful of us watching nolo's suits to see what the DOJ is going to do.  Are they going to challenge the trusts in an attempt to show the trust is invalid, so the person was actually in possession of a MG they could not legally possess even if the stamp was valid?  Remember, the ATF verfied there was ink on paper.  They did not verify the trust complied with the state law it was formed under.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You're not paying for "protection".  After the consultation and s/he tells you what made him/her go WTF if your original post, you'd pay (maybe $200 at most) to have it corrected.  

Go back and read my posts.  Very carefully.  I have never said what is the issue in your post.  You are making assumptions to what it is.  

On a side note. There's a handful of us watching nolo's suits to see what the DOJ is going to do.  Are they going to challenge the trusts in an attempt to show the trust is invalid, so the person was actually in possession of a MG they could not legally possess even if the stamp was valid?  Remember, the ATF verfied there was ink on paper.  They did not verify the trust complied with the state law it was formed under.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what exactly is going on with the trusts and the DOJ? Now that you mention it I remember a year or so ago the DOJ coming out and challenging the trusts saying something along the lines of trusts were a form of loop hole and looking to put a stop to trusts.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So what exactly is going on with the trusts and the DOJ? Now that you mention it I remember a year or so ago the DOJ coming out and challenging the trusts saying something along the lines of trusts were a form of loop hole and looking to put a stop to trusts.
View Quote

Not the DOJ, the ATF (stemming from an Exective Order). Docket Number ATF 41P would make it so CLEOs still need to sign off on NFA items regardless of whether or not you have a trust as well as requiring every person listed on the trust to submit fingerprints and photographs. If you live in a county where the CLEO is opposed to NFA, it would be a defacto ban on NFA items - one of the reasons why trusts are so widely used.

The ATF keeps pushing back the rule change because they are required to respond to each qualified comment about the change in writing, and more than 9,000 comments were submitted so it has taken a while to get through it. The final ruling was supposed to happen last summer, then got pushed to January 2015, and was pushed back again to May 2015 and remains there currently.

Long story short... If you're going to get an NFA item via trust, do it ASAP because any paperwork submitted prior to the ruling being released will be treated under the old laws. EForm Form 1s are at around 30 days right now, and paper Form 4s are somewhere from 4-6 months.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know of any good engravers around the Birmingham area?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looking to get into some SBR's and suppressor's here in the near future and I'm looking to go the trust route. I'm wanting to do my trust right the first go around so wanting to find someone that has experience making NFA Trust's in or around the Birmingham area. Anyone have any info?
View Quote

Talk to Mr. Ken Dowdy. His office is in Hoover.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't mean to hijack the Birmingham theme to this thread, but does anyone have any recomendations on a Trust lawyer around the Montgomery, Auburn, Opelika area?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top