Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2014 5:45:27 PM EDT
Well...it looks like I'll be moving to and working in AL. I have a few NFA items (suppressors, SBR and 40mm). What do I need to do when I move up there?
I know if you're visiting another state you need to fill out an ATF form. But, do I need to fill out an ATF form or it doesn't matter if your making it your home?

I will still own a home in FL if that matters.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
If you still claim your FL house as your residence then you're technically "visiting" Alabama.  Either way, it sounds like you'll have to fill out a form of some sort.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well...it looks like I'll be moving to and working in AL. I have a few NFA items (suppressors, SBR and 40mm). What do I need to do when I move up there?
I know if you're visiting another state you need to fill out an ATF form. But, do I need to fill out an ATF form or it doesn't matter if your making it your home?

I will still own a home in FL if that matters.
View Quote

You need to invite everyone over to make sure that they function safely.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#3]
From my research into moving, my understanding is that:

a) If you have a trust, you need to grab a lawyer and make sure it is legally good to go in the new state, also make sure there aren't any restrictions per state on items (I don't recall that AL restricts anything anymore, others/lawyer will be more knowledgable there)

b) Get an approved permission slip from ATF for change of address via from 5320.20 before moving anything.  
Haven't done it before but that's what I've learned from talking to people.

ETA: if your official residence remains in another state, perhaps you can file long duration 5320.20 (dates of travel up to calendar year)?  Again, lawyer may be needed to determine what residency status turns out to be for any particular case.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll just keep it in FL until I get e permanent address. Then I'll fill out whatever forms I need.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll just keep it in FL until I get e permanent address. Then I'll fill out whatever forms I need.
View Quote

And invite us all over.  

Welcome to bama.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In order to fully comply with the NFA you will need to:

1) File Form 20
2) Receive approval prior to the permanent move
3) Amend your FL trust to reflect the new address
4) Create an AL trust for any NFA weapons purchased after your permanent move
View Quote

Same for Form 4 guns? (excluding number 3 and 4)
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In order to fully comply with the NFA you will need to:

1) File Form 20
2) Receive approval prior to the permanent move
3) Amend your FL trust to reflect the new address
4) Create an AL trust for any NFA weapons purchased after your permanent move

Same for Form 4 guns? (excluding number 3 and 4)

Yes.

How do I amend the trust to change the address to AL?

Does having a current CAC (military ID) matter? What do soldiers do that own NFA weapon and are moved from state to state?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#10]
might not be completely accurate, but

http://www.wikihow.com/Amend-a-Living-Trust
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top