Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2014 11:55:39 AM EDT
School/s, entertainment (hunting, fishing, camping?), crime, gun laws?

Any good areas to rent a house (2 bedroom)?

Might be out there by the end of the year...have the job, not sure I'm ready to move.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll ask one of my friends, he lived there for a year or two.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
OK place, economy completely supported by Ft. Rucker.  Flight school students, retirees, and contractors everywhere.  Unless you're working in Enterprise I would prefer to live out in the countryside away from all the people.  Lots of rental property available in Enterprise, real estate prices drop quickly as you get further and further from Rucker.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never been to Enterprise, but I can't image there's really much to do there.  However, Dothan is only about 35 minutes away, and will have more to do.  It's not a "big city", but it's a nice place.  It would seem like living between the two would be your best bet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
School/s, entertainment (hunting, fishing, camping?), crime, gun laws?

Any good areas to rent a house (2 bedroom)?

Might be out there by the end of the year...have the job, not sure I'm ready to move.
View Quote

I don't know about that stuff, but their ZIP is "NCC1701."
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Enterprise is a pretty good place overall.  Crime rate is higher than it was 20 years ago, but that's everywhere.  Still a safe place.
Good school system if you have kids.
Decent amount of restaurants, but not much entertainment.
Dothan is about 30 minutes east and is much larger.  Has more stores, bars, good selection of restaurants.
There are some shooting ranges in the area.  Two indoor and a couple of outdoor within 30-40 minute drive.
Plenty of rentals around due to Ft. Rucker being nearby.
Plenty of fresh water fishing around and the gulf is only about 90 minutes south.
Also plenty of deer, turkey, dove hunting around.

ETA- if you're coming from MI, it is not near as cold in the winter and a lot hotter in the summer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Drink plenty of water, you're about to meet humidity.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I just moved to Dothan, which is about 30 miles down the road, and I love it.  Of course, it might be that for the last 7 years, I was living in the Washington, DC - People's Republic of Maryland area.  I'm still looking for a place to shoot, but I'll find something.  

Hunting?  As I have gathered, folks around here hunt deer, feral hogs and squirrel.  I asked about duck hunting and they looked at me like I grew a second head.  Hogs seem to be prolific around here.  In fact, while I was unloading the truck with my stuff, one came wandering up the street.

Housing:  You can get a 3 bedroom for about 850.  Check on HotPads.com and there are plenty (not lots, but enough).
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Dothan is bigger, cheaper, with significantly better entertainment and restaurants

Enterprise is small, expensive, with fewer options for entertainment and restaurants. With the base being close by the locals tend to be more ...worldly
and the school system is significantly better

My choice would be to live on the eastern side of enterprise because you can take advantage of the school system and be a quick 20 minute drive from dothan.

Plenty of hunting options for either

3 local semi private outdoor ranges
(1 is new and has 100, 200, 300 and 400 yrd ranges)
and several indoor ranges

And alabama GAINS more gun rights laws yearly
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in Dothan, I have friends Living in Enterprise and Ozark. My buddy has lots of rentals in Ozark running about 650 for. 3 br with updated appliances and granite. He rents to student pilots short and long term.

Dothan has all the chain stores, enterprise is growing but folks still come here on the regular. There are tons of small towns between that are very nice. There is a lot of theft of late due to meth heads. Copper theft is high people breaking in vacant homes and bldgs . Hunting is big no closed season on hogs and coyote. Deer runs from nov23 through end of Jan or 13 feb depending where you hunt.

It is big agriculture area cotton and peanuts primarily.

Lots of fishing, lg/sm mouth bass, hybrids/striped bass, catfish in most rivers, crawfish, of course crappie, bluegill, ect.

1.5 hours to panama city/ destin.Beaches deep sea fishing.

I'm from Va and rarely wear a coat in the winter usually heavy shirt. We got snow and ice last year and it shut down EVERYTHING ! Nuts. We only run the heat for a month in the winter but the ac is on from March- November. I'm hot natured and sweat like crazy in the summer. I lived and worked outside for 10 years in charleston sc and I still have a tough time in the summer.

Ive lived in lots of places up and down the east coast and you could.certainly do worse.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

3 local semi private outdoor ranges
(1 is new and has 100, 200, 300 and 400 yrd ranges)
and several indoor ranges

View Quote

Which ranges are you referring to?   Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Enterprise has Lock and load
Ft Rucker has a pistol range on hwy 27
Daleville has Tri-States (Private) and Ordinance Dept
Midland City has Dothan Gun club (Private)
Cottonwood has Home Defense
Houston County South Dothan has The Firing line near Graceville, FL line on 77
Headland has Headland Gun and Skeet (private)
Columbia has the Bullet Trap off hwy 52
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]
The POW range on Rucker goes out to 300m.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top